Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
When I got my original iPhone G1 I setup the iPhone as Pick-Your-Plan prepaid with unlimited data. When the iPhone 3GS and then 4 came out, I cut down my SIM and continued using the same plan with the iPhone 4.

I called and spoke with AT&T Customer service. The AT&T rep said she checked the iPhone 5 white paper and a Pick-Your-Plan iPhone prepaid account can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5. She said I am very lucky because not many people still have a Prepaid Pick-Your-Plan iPhone.

She said I can buy the iPhone 5 full price and they will provision my prepaid account to the iPhone 5 SIM and provision LTE unlimited data to grandfather my unlimited data plan.

I was shocked and did not believe it and had her verify it with a manager. So if there is anyone else with a Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid unlimited data iPhone they will allow you to continue using the same account for the iPhone 5.

Bigdicnic666

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
That is awesome! I have the original PYP with Grandfathered unlimited data for iPhone. I too cut down my sim card. I'm currently using an iPhone 4s. So, can I just buy an iPhone 5 and put my cut down sim card in it or do I really have to go get a new sim card for it to work?

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
That is awesome! I have the original PYP with Grandfathered unlimited data for iPhone. I too cut down my sim card. I'm currently using an iPhone 4s. So, can I just buy an iPhone 5 and put my cut down sim card in it or do I really have to go get a new sim card for it to work?

if you have an i5 you can just go to VZW and ask for a sim card. they can activate it and retain your current plan as grandfathered

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
When I got my original iPhone G1 I setup the iPhone as Pick-Your-Plan prepaid with unlimited data. When the iPhone 3GS and then 4 came out, I cut down my SIM and continued using the same plan with the iPhone 4.

I called and spoke with AT&T Customer service. The AT&T rep said she checked the iPhone 5 white paper and a Pick-Your-Plan iPhone prepaid account can be grandfathered to the iPhone 5. She said I am very lucky because not many people still have a Prepaid Pick-Your-Plan iPhone.

She said I can buy the iPhone 5 full price and they will provision my prepaid account to the iPhone 5 SIM and provision LTE unlimited data to grandfather my unlimited data plan.

I was shocked and did not believe it and had her verify it with a manager. So if there is anyone else with a Pick-Your-Plan Prepaid unlimited data iPhone they will allow you to continue using the same account for the iPhone 5.
It turns out this was all BS. I have the iPhone 5. I can use my prepaid account with the iPhone 5 but I cannot access LTE. Only 3G.

The networks the PYP accounts use are only 3G. There are no LTE prepaid phones. I was told later in 2013 they will roll out prepaid phones with LTE data and that's when the i5 can access LTE prepaid. Until then, all prepaid phones are 3G.

oldertwin

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Buy Plan

Hi,

Is anyone here that has the Go Phone Pick your Plan with unlimited data willing to sell their plan to me? I am really interested and ready to paypal money to who ever will sell me their account with the unlimited data on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.