Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Too close to refresh IMO - don't buy unless you really, really need it and can't wait.

Nothing has been announced though. We're assuming that the next refresh will be with Haswell chips, which are due 4 months from now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 3 months after that that Haswell based Macs ship, so, 6-7 months at the earliest? That's not THAT close.

I suppose a little though, but, I think you could drive yourself crazy waiting on Apple.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I love mine and have no issues with non-Retina enabled apps. I also run at the 1680x1050 scaled resolution and it's looks fine.

I recommend this computer to anyone looking to buy a MacBook Pro.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Anytime you need a new computer and want a rMBP is a good time to buy--I got mine in October and love it each and every day. :D

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hi Arcsylver,

How do you like the non-retina apps on your rmbp? Do you regret not having 16GB/512GB?

Jony

So far I haven't found any non retina apps that were really all that bad. they just look similar to what they looked like on my old 2006 MBP really. Nothing horrible by any means.

Most of the "problems" people report with blurry screens when viewing non retina apps pretty much boil down to the app looking like it does on a non retina screen is all. If you absolutely cant stand seeing non retina graphics etc. then it might be bad. But I personally haven't had any problems switching between retina and non retina apps and I am on my computer pretty much all the time, or some other screen based device such as my iPhone 5 or my iPad mini.

As for the RAM. I dont regret not getting 16 GB at all. I do Aperture for my photos and I have my system set up to load iTunes, Safari, Mail, and Messages every time at startup as well as mounting a remote disc on my Airport Extreme. I very often run multiple tabs in safari as well as run games like Second Life and Eve Online simultaneously both set to ultra graphics with only minimal occasional video lag, and even then only momentary during loading of new areas etc.

I am not a power user by any stretch but I do use my machine heavier than a lot of people out there and it hasn't been an issue yet for me to "only" have 8 GB Memory.

My Retina Macbook runs more stable and less glitchy than my partners Asus G75 Republic of Gamers Laptop with similar specs but better RAM and Graphics to give you an Idea.

tkjazzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
haswell MBP batter life predictions?

Will Haswell extend battery life of a non-retina MBP?
Do you think it will come in the non-retina?

I've been waiting what seems like a year for haswell when I saw the intel graph that shows lower voltage in haswell.

I even bought a Surface RT to hold me over (which no one here probably cares about, but I love it).

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The people who say some apps don't look good must be super anal-retentitve. I'm very picky and I think everything looks freaking fantastic. If it weren't for the occasional IR issue popping up on the new displays I'd say these laptops are the best ever made and an almost impossible leap in technology - heck even the keyboards and trackpads feel better made. Even things that aren't optimized still look amazing compared to how they look on any other laptop. Maybe some people are using apps that have fuzzy text, or maybe some are seeing this when they use the scaling options so I don't want to discount those possibilities. When using "best for retina" however, I've seen nothing but amazing results from everything I've used. All my major apps are retinized now too also.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
Too close to refresh IMO - don't buy unless you really, really need it and can't wait.

From your keyboard to Gods ears. I bought my 15" MBP in 2009, but I think it's a 2008 model as it was on sale. It's driving me nuts at this point. I was getting the black screens and the Apple Genius told me I needed a new graphic card, but the problem magically went away when I reinstalled Mountain Lion. But it's become pretty slow and I get constant rainbow of death. And I need to restart it twice a day or it performs really bad. I want the 15" rMBP real bad but I refuse to buy 1st generation anything. Waiting. But July is soooo far away

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I own a MBPr and there is an ui lag especially if you use an other browser like chrome. Now with the new chrome beta the scrolling has improved a lot. Now eclipse needs to be much smoother and im happy. But anyways i love the machine.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Don't want to hijack the thread, but my rMBP is set to deliver tomorrow. When's the next update expected for these things (spec bump or major) besides the June-ish date for the haswell update?

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Erm, June-ish???
Well I was expecting that. Just wondering if there was going to be a minor spec bump soon in the mean time before then partially because if there's something coming in a month or so I'll just return mine and wait a month. I only ask because I'm not really willing to wait for June to get a haswell update (as I needed a computer) but going one month would be something I'd be more willing to do.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Well I was expecting that. Just wondering if there was going to be a minor spec bump soon in the mean time before then partially because if there's something coming in a month or so I'll just return mine and wait a month. I only ask because I'm not really willing to wait for June to get a haswell update (as I needed a computer) but going one month would be something I'd be more willing to do.

Unlikely.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
[
QUOTE=Arcsylver;16585983]

As for the RAM. I dont regret not getting 16 GB at all. I do Aperture for my photos and I have my system set up to load iTunes, Safari, Mail, and Messages every time at startup as well as mounting a remote disc on my Airport Extreme. I very often run multiple tabs in safari as well as run games like Second Life and Eve Online simultaneously both set to ultra graphics with only minimal occasional video lag, and even then only momentary during loading of new areas etc.

I am not a power user by any stretch but I do use my machine heavier than a lot of people out there and it hasn't been an issue yet for me to "only" ha
ve 8 GB Memory.

I'm no expert, but I believe the question really isn't is 8 gb enough for now for a non power user, the question is will you run into problems/shortages in the future. We have no idea how much ram the operating systems of the future are going to eat up. And since Apple has been kind enough to make the most expensive laptops ever non upgradable, and sines many of us can not afford to buy a new computer every other year, it's better to be safe than sorry. Spend the extra $200 and never think about it again for the life of the machine.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Is it a good time to get the rmbp?

I think ANY major purchase is the same, if you DO need it/ having it will MAKE you Money, then Just Go and BUY it.. and likely more so for such items as Computers which 'update with obsolescence in mind' seemingly:

Need It..

Buy It..

Use It..

Like It..

** With a MBP you Repeat every 2-3 years as necessary.. :apple:

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
What about broadwell? Hold out for 2014!! No wait.. Skydale! 2015 is gonna be guud.

All electronics are outdated when they are released! It's a losing battle paying to get the newest!!

IMO it's also a question of inputs. Like anandtech talked about the thunderbolt drive guves room for stuff like gigabit, storage, displays.. Almost like a laptop dock!

RMbp has little storage thanks to ssd. To me this makes external and cloud solutions more important. For example I don't want my music on my laptop anymore. I need to drive it off another drive!

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The retina MBP is probably one of the best laptops on the market right now. The UI lag is greatly exaggerated. Yes, some badly coded applications will have some lag when resizing their windows (like the App Store) and some image-heavy complex websites can stutter a bit (solvable by using latest alpha browser version), and there is a visual delay when using mission control on a desktop with 30 or so windows... but thats about it.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
RMbp has little storage thanks to ssd. To me this makes external and cloud solutions more important. For example I don't want my music on my laptop anymore. I need to drive it off another drive!

rMBP can be had with 768gb SSD, which is enough for a fair bit. And for a similar price to the Sony Z series with a much poorer screen, trackpad, and only 256Gb SSD. For backup and less common storage I run a 9Tb NAS.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
rMBP can be had with 768gb SSD, which is enough for a fair bit. And for a similar price to the Sony Z series with a much poorer screen, trackpad, and only 256Gb SSD. For backup and less common storage I run a 9Tb NAS.

768 SSD has an incredible high price. Not a convincing argument. And the comparison to Sony Vaio Z is strange. Different product.

And FYI, the Vaio Z screen is very good. 96% Adobe RGB color gamut is no slouch. It has good viewing angles as well.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
768 SSD has an incredible high price. Not a convincing argument. And the comparison to Sony Vaio Z is strange. Different product.

And FYI, the Vaio Z screen is very good. 96% Adobe RGB color gamut is no slouch. It has good viewing angles as well.

Different product? It's a top of the line ultra slim i7 portable with exclusively SSD and no optical drive. It happens to run Windows instead of OSX but otherwise is one of the obvious alternatives. The 768 SSD may be expensive, but still makes the 13" MBPr cheaper than the Sony:

Sony Z: i7, 8Gb RAM, 256 SSD: NZ$4999 (in New Zealand)
rMBP13, 8Gb RAM, 768 SSD: NZ$4789
rMBP15, 8Gb RAM, 768 SSD: NZ$5099

Obviously the 15" rMBP adds a discrete graphics processor too, and both of the MBP's have very much better screens. The Sony one is very good, I agree, by the standards set before the Retina display, but that's no longer where it's at.

Apples are cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.