Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prosty41

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hello,

I have had my mac for about a month. I am having numerous issues with it.

- After it has been in stand by for awhile I sit at it, wake it up, and attempt to open safari from the dock. Safari bounces up and down but never opens. I force quite and try again...same thing. I restart my computer and it works fine (but it only restarts if i force quite safari first). It has since done this with system preferences and iTunes too.

-time machine. I set up time machine to back up to my WD 500gig external. It worked great for like 20 days and now tells me everyday it cant back up. I open time machine but cant figure out what the issue is.

- Date and Time. Often my time at the top right corner freezes on a time. I scroll over it and I get the spinning color wheel. Again, a restart fixes it.

I called apple and a tech ran through some diagnostics and told me that she did not know what was wrong but thought it might be my logic board. She also said I might have to reinstall OSX to fix the issue. Wont I lose all my data if I uninstall my OSX? I ended up ending the call because I could not understand the lady.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I would do a reformat. You have had it for a month, you shouldn't have all that much backup everything either to the cloud or to a flash drive or external.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes you should do a reinstall or maybe something like erase the all hdd.. i don't know how to do that on imac because i'm new to mac world for now

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I called apple and a tech ran through some diagnostics and told me that she did not know what was wrong but thought it might be my logic board. She also said I might have to reinstall OSX to fix the issue. Wont I lose all my data if I uninstall my OSX?
A logic board problem (hardware) is not going to be fixed by reinstalling the OS (software).
You can reinstall the OS while keeping your data, apps and settings in place. However, if Time Machine isn't working then you should do a manual copy of your recent files.

My advice: take it back to the shop. It's a brand new machine with hardware problems. They should fix it or give you a new one for free, as it's under warrantee.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had an iMac that had system board issues, and after them looking at it for a half hour, and running diags on it I'm sure, they offered a new-in-the-box system (without the box, keyboard/mouse) without hesitation.

Take the entire system back, in the box, with keyboard/mouse, and they will likely swap the whole thing. :apple: (That is the second time Apple Stores have swapped a dying system with new for me)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.