Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
i Had the GT50 last week and it broke down.
now i see the LG PM6700 at a nice deal, $1,000 for 60".
does the LG set give better picture? im amazed at the quality on the GT50 but not sure if LG may be better. Thanks!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Nothing beats a Panasonic plasma, and the gt is about the best, only the vt is better.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I would go with the GT50. Plasma will always, always look better than LCD. Now, with the new OLED sets coming to the market, maybe. I still need to look at a side-by-side comparison before I can make a judgment call. I have a 65in VT30 from 2011 and I am still in love with it. Just make sure you get the THX certified set.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I would go with the GT50. Plasma will always, always look better than LCD. Now, with the new OLED sets coming to the market, maybe. I still need to look at a side-by-side comparison before I can make a judgment call. I have a 65in VT30 from 2011 and I am still in love with it. Just make sure you get the THX certified set.

I believe the LG model he is looking at is a plasma. I would still roll with the Panny.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Oh! Damn you!!! This LG is a plasma....well....I do not know then. I have seen the LG plasma's and they are very nice. Plus the Korean's build these TV's good. This LG he is looking at has active shutter glasses along with being a plasma. With this information that just came to light, I would suggest finding a local store that sells both models and really stress test each TV. I mean get your hands on the remote, bring a few movies, and compare the quality of the picture.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I got the ST50 and I think that is the model that gives the most bang for the buck. The VT50 is the best, but the difference between the GT and ST is not worth the price IMHO.
The Panasonic will beat the LG either way

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I got the ST50 and I think that is the model that gives the most bang for the buck. The VT50 is the best, but the difference between the GT and ST is not worth the price IMHO.
The Panasonic will beat the LG either way

Spot on. There is really no value in the GT over the ST. It has THX mode but if you are going to calibrate it yourself you won't be using THX mode anyways.

If you don't need 3D or a strong anti-reflective filter then the U series is also a great cheap option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.