Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Just picked up a Dell U2713HM and surprisingly, after hooking up to my Mac Pro or my MacBook Air, both running Mavericks and using the Mini DP to DP cable.....the display defaults to RGB....not YcBcR.

It does still show up as Television in Sys Info.....can't imagine that is bad though right? As long as the Dell menu says RGB?

Will the 59 Hz cause any issues?

DELL U2713HM:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 59 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes

-Kevin

Last edited:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Just picked up a Dell U2713HM and surprisingly, after hooking up to my Mac Pro or my MacBook Air, both running Mavericks and using the Mini DP to DP cable.....the display defaults to RGB....not YcBcR.

It does still show up as Television in Sys Info.....can't imagine that is bad though right? As long as the Dell menu says RGB?

Will the 59 Hz cause any issues?

DELL U2713HM:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 59 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes

-Kevin

I 'm seeing the same on my setup
Totally confused: must I run the hack or not

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I 'm seeing the same on my setup
Totally confused: must I run the hack or not

I haven't run anything.....figure if it's RGB then it's good enough for me. Haven't noticed any issues with it listed as TV.

-Kevin

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I haven't run anything.....figure if it's RGB then it's good enough for me. Haven't noticed any issues with it listed as TV.

-Kevin
I ran it
Screen looks even better now
Well could be imagining it :d

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I ran it
Screen looks even better now
Well could be imagining it :d

I guess I should have said I'm not running anything. I did try the hack, but didn't notice a difference. I'm pretty sure the only thing the hack does is force RGB mode.....which if the display is already in that mode, then it shouldn't make a difference.

-Kevin

nevioth

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
u2713hm / mbpr

I just got a dell u2713hm and am not able to use it at all with my macbook pro and dp / map cable. The monitor is not getting any signal from the macbook.

the monitor works, dvi to dp is getting the (low-res) signal through, but i really hoped to use the dp-mdp cable since i can't afford to shell out another 100eur for a dual link dvi adapter

Does anyone know what to do? :(

UnexpectedHuman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Europe
I had something like this with when I set up my laptop with an ASUS PB278. It turned out that the macOS video drivers insist on sending YCbCr rather than RGB.

The fix for me was to follow the instructions here:

http://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Under the latest OS, you will need to disable SIP to install the patched EDID override file (google csrutil enable/disable). I only needed to disable SIP while making the modification - I reenabled it afterwards.

The irony was that I had made the same fix on my (much) older laptop, but had completely forgotten that it needed to be done...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.