Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
hulk2012
macrumors regular

I am a interface designer and about to get either 2009 27" iMac core 2 duo with installed 256gb SSD or 2012 MacBook Pro i7. Both in the same price. Already own 2011 27" iMac i7 and thought of getting the older 2009 model to use as a dual display but then I won't be as portable as getting MacBook Pro. What are your suggestion? Which one is better value for the money?
hulk2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Not sure why u would select a lower performing iMac when u already have a more modern one. The iMac can drive a large external screen if u are looking for more viewing real estate. Get the MBP for portability.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:44 PM   #3
hulk2012
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Not sure why u would select a lower performing iMac when u already have a more modern one. The iMac can drive a large external screen if u are looking for more viewing real estate. Get the MBP for portability.
I would consider lower performing one for sake of having another dual screen. It works cheaper that way plus when needed job could be done on the older one the same time I'm working on the newer iMac.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Gizmo22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk2012 View Post
I would consider lower performing one for sake of having another dual screen. It works cheaper that way plus when needed job could be done on the older one the same time I'm working on the newer iMac.
That's fine, but the question you pose involves an equation with substantial emotional value - we have no idea how much value you can place on that dual screen.

Personally, I say absolutely not. If the same price, I would say either the MBP is undervalued or the iMac is overvalued. Definitely take the 2012 as an investment relative to the iMac.

For a dual screen, there are much cheaper alternatives, whether it is a few adapters and a general DVI monitor, or finding a Cinema or TB display (even new). Unless you have some use of dual systems running rendering in the background while operating the other system, you could buy a new TB display.

If you do have that much going on that you could use both systems, buy more memory for your iMac and run things in the background there.
Gizmo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:40 PM   #5
hulk2012
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo22 View Post
That's fine, but the question you pose involves an equation with substantial emotional value - we have no idea how much value you can place on that dual screen.

Personally, I say absolutely not. If the same price, I would say either the MBP is undervalued or the iMac is overvalued. Definitely take the 2012 as an investment relative to the iMac.

For a dual screen, there are much cheaper alternatives, whether it is a few adapters and a general DVI monitor, or finding a Cinema or TB display (even new). Unless you have some use of dual systems running rendering in the background while operating the other system, you could buy a new TB display.

If you do have that much going on that you could use both systems, buy more memory for your iMac and run things in the background there.
Impossible to work on just one screen for me as I need consistent view by corner of my eye one other screen while working on the another one mainly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac