Should I get a Fusion drive? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
Middleman-77
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I am using a Fusion Drive on three systems now and I would say that Fusion Drive is definitely worth it - the speed increase over a standard 2.5" 500GB drive in a 2011 MacMini say is fourfold. However there is one issue that you must all realise - and that is, if you order a Fusion Drive with Apple, if you want to set the drives up back to normal use only ie. separate SSD and HD - it WILL NOT WORK (from what I have been told by fellow Mac users here).

This is because the OSX build that comes from a factory-set Fusion Drive Mac is different to one you normally download from the App Store (12C2034 vs 12C60). Not only is the build different, but the speed increase is apparent with this build I believe (400MB/s on official installed system vs 200MB/s on non-factory-set setups).

However what could work is that you order a factory-installed SSD Mac with 10.8.2, and then optionally install a separate HD yourself. THAT would work (to be used as Fusion or separate - I have tested it) - and on a proper 2012 Mac, it still registers decent speeds (over 400MBps under Blackmagic Disk Test).

Fusion is definitely worth it. In any case if you are scared about running it in case of reliability issues - if you backup regularly, you still have Thunderbolt to use when using the new machines in most cases. And recovery is fast with TB. If you use a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter (3.5" version) to backup your Fusion to say a SATAIII 1TB or 2TB standard HD - it can be done in a shorter time than ever before. So you effectively have a very fast and cost-effective system...
Middleman-77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:04 PM   #27
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Ergo, the logical conclusion is that you can use your own hardware and combine it with the software magic.
That's more of an assumption rather than a logical conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman-77 View Post
This is because the OSX build that comes from a factory-set Fusion Drive Mac is different to one you normally download from the App Store (12C2034 vs 12C60).
... and this is a prime example of why setting up a Fusion drive with any SSD and HD is not necessarily a substitute. Sure, it would work but the software maybe talking to the hardware differently with the Apple Fusion build. There could be safeguards in case of drive failure or other speed increase optimizing we don't see.

Buying an actual Fusion drive with the so called Apple Tax guarantees a fully functioning system and will be fixed by Apple in case of problems.
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:28 PM   #28
palmerc2
macrumors 65816
 
palmerc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Ive got my fusion drive setup really well, i partitioned the main HDD into 3 partitions, one 500GB one for Windows, One 500gb one to fuse with the 128gb ssd and a 2TB partition for all my media. So i have a 612gb fusion drive for all Apps and the OS. This way my Video files never get wasted on the ssd yet i still have over 600GB of space to work with on the fusion drive. My fusion drive has over 200GB on it and it still runs at full ssd speed for everyday tasks. Happy as can be
Wow, this sounds sublime! One of the reasons I was going to stay away from fusion is because of music and all that jazz (along with large video files) filling up the SSD portion in a matter of a week. I do have a few questions though about your setup.

1. I thought you can't run windows on the 3TB drive...or can you do it because you partitioned it? Did you have to do anything more special than that?

2. You mentioned you used another partition to fuse with the SSD, did you have to do anything special so it fused with that partition and not the 2TB partition (for instance)? Is it just a matter of a few clicks?

3. Doesn't 500GB + SSD for 612GB seem like a little overkill? You must have a lot of apps!
palmerc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #29
MacCruiZe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
+1 to get the fusion. Works great. I love how fast it boots up / opens applications
MacCruiZe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #30
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post

1. I thought you can't run windows on the 3TB drive...or can you do it because you partitioned it? Did you have to do anything more special than that?
You cant officially but there are a few different ways you can do it, there are a few guides on the net. Basically i just created the partition for Windows within the first 2.2TB on the 3TB HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post

2. You mentioned you used another partition to fuse with the SSD, did you have to do anything special so it fused with that partition and not the 2TB partition (for instance)? Is it just a matter of a few clicks?
Yeah it was part of the guide i followed, i actually learned a bit about using terminal along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post

3. Doesn't 500GB + SSD for 612GB seem like a little overkill? You must have a lot of apps!
Well i was not sure how i wanted to divide the 3TB drive, i guess i could have made my media partition a little larger and made the fusion drive smaller.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:17 PM   #31
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I didnt bother with the fusion as they Apple store had stock of the 3.2 with 1tb non fusion. It doesnt load applications lightning quick but seems to be excellent in everything else. If you don't keep your machine in sleep mode and keep apps open all the time, go with the fusion. Otherwise, non fusion is just fine and a bit cheaper.
__________________
Lots of stuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsbykev/
fitshaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:41 PM   #32
palmerc2
macrumors 65816
 
palmerc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
You cant officially but there are a few different ways you can do it, there are a few guides on the net. Basically i just created the partition for Windows within the first 2.2TB on the 3TB HDD.



Yeah it was part of the guide i followed, i actually learned a bit about using terminal along the way.



Well i was not sure how i wanted to divide the 3TB drive, i guess i could have made my media partition a little larger and made the fusion drive smaller.
Great info thanks. My last question is: have you done a software update since doing this? I read in a thread about splitting the HDD and SSD, and after doing a software update it might undo the changes done in terminal. I think it may have only been speculation though, and even though its not the same topic it's close enough for me to ask. It would be pretty bad if it did happen though!
palmerc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:53 PM   #33
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
Great info thanks. My last question is: have you done a software update since doing this? I read in a thread about splitting the HDD and SSD, and after doing a software update it might undo the changes done in terminal. I think it may have only been speculation though, and even though its not the same topic it's close enough for me to ask. It would be pretty bad if it did happen though!
Updates work as normal.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:57 PM   #34
Gelite55
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yes, get a fusion drive.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:21 AM   #35
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Updates work as normal.
Great to hear! So DIY Fusion Drives work with OS X updates.
So awesome. Have you ran any tests on your system, e.g. speed tests and compared it with the Apple Fusion Drive?

Are you using an external USB3 or TB enclosure for your SSD? What SSD are you using? Have you tried disconnecting your SSD from the iMac and see what happens? Etc.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:27 AM   #36
sergiobaschi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Great to hear! So DIY Fusion Drives work with OS X updates.
So awesome. Have you ran any tests on your system, e.g. speed tests and compared it with the Apple Fusion Drive?

Are you using an external USB3 or TB enclosure for your SSD? What SSD are you using? Have you tried disconnecting your SSD from the iMac and see what happens? Etc.
The SSD is the one accompanying the Fusion Drive, if I've understood OP correctly.
__________________
27"/i7/32/680/1FD (2012), 13"/i7/16/512 rMBP (2013), 13"/i5/8/500 cMBP (2012), iPad mini 16GB Wifi (2013), iPhone 5/16 (2012), TimeCapsule 2TB ac+AirportExtreme n w/4TB.
sergiobaschi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:35 AM   #37
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiobaschi View Post
The SSD is the one accompanying the Fusion Drive, if I've understood OP correctly.
As far as I understood it, the OP has a 3TB HDD(no Fusion Drive) in his iMac and got an external SSD. With those two drives he created a single custom Fusion Drive(e.g. non-Apple Fusion Drive) to get the functionality the Apple Fusion Drive provides but at a much lower cost(and greater customizability).

What I was asking was what kind of SSD he was using, what external chassi connection port he was using and if he had run some tests on it.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:36 AM   #38
Paul-B
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Europe
6 days into 3Tb fusion on my 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7 and it seems excellent. Programs open on a mouse click - as quick as being resized from the dock.

You wouldn't know the fusion bit was there, except it's soooo fast...
Paul-B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:40 AM   #39
iLondoner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London (the big one, not London Ohio, Texas, Kentucky, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Writing 6 or so commands to create a fused drive out of two drives is hardly considered hacking nor "hacking".
To be pedantic, hacking would be finding a way of condensing six commands to four.

Unfortunately through misuse, hacker and hacking are nowadays used as pejoratives rather than to acclaim excellence in coding.
__________________
13" MacBook Air 27" iMac 3TB Fusion 3TB Time Capsule Apple TV 3 iPhone 5 iPad Air
iLondoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:31 AM   #40
palmerc2
macrumors 65816
 
palmerc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
As far as I understood it, the OP has a 3TB HDD(no Fusion Drive) in his iMac and got an external SSD. With those two drives he created a single custom Fusion Drive(e.g. non-Apple Fusion Drive) to get the functionality the Apple Fusion Drive provides but at a much lower cost(and greater customizability).

What I was asking was what kind of SSD he was using, what external chassi connection port he was using and if he had run some tests on it.
I'm pretty certain he has a 3TB + Fusion drive, and no external (unless he has one for backing up - but that's unrelated). Read his comment on the first page (or where I quoted him on this page) where he explains how he setup his HDD + Fusion. I personally love it! When the time comes to upgrade to a new iMac I'll definitely be researching how he set his up.
palmerc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:53 AM   #41
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
edry.hilario is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:11 AM   #42
Tanax
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
I'm pretty certain he has a 3TB + Fusion drive, and no external (unless he has one for backing up - but that's unrelated). Read his comment on the first page (or where I quoted him on this page) where he explains how he setup his HDD + Fusion. I personally love it! When the time comes to upgrade to a new iMac I'll definitely be researching how he set his up.
Right. Seems he got the 3TB Fusion Drive, only that he partitioned it differently than how Apple originally intends it to be. I stand corrected.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:17 AM   #43
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
Right. Seems he got the 3TB Fusion Drive, only that he partitioned it differently than how Apple originally intends it to be. I stand corrected.
This is correct, i got the 2012 iMac with the 3tb fusion and configured it to my needs. I now have a 612GB fusion drive partition (500GB of the HDD and the 128GB ssd fused together), a 500GB windows partition and a 2TB media partition. It works perfectly and solves any issues some people may have with the standard fusion drive setup as i have a place where i can make sure the files are on the hdd only.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:16 PM   #44
palmerc2
macrumors 65816
 
palmerc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
This is correct, i got the 2012 iMac with the 3tb fusion and configured it to my needs. I now have a 612GB fusion drive partition (500GB of the HDD and the 128GB ssd fused together), a 500GB windows partition and a 2TB media partition. It works perfectly and solves any issues some people may have with the standard fusion drive setup as i have a place where i can make sure the files are on the hdd only.
Do you have a link to the article / guide you used to perform what you did? I've googled a few different things with no luck.
palmerc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:19 AM   #45
ProfNaz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Definitely get it. SSD is the future and it's something you'll regret if you don't have it.
ProfNaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #46
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerc2 View Post
Do you have a link to the article / guide you used to perform what you did? I've googled a few different things with no luck.
This is a link to my thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1511887
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Haswell iMac - Fusion drive or No Fusion drive? NbinHD iMac 14 Sep 24, 2013 02:00 PM
iMac no longer sees fusion drive after hard drive replacement cole01 iMac 6 Jul 21, 2013 11:44 AM
VMware Fusion 4 and Fusion Drive Kilamite Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Apr 24, 2013 04:54 AM
Going from a rig with 7200 drive, will the 5400 side of a Fusion drive annoy me? Whackintosh iMac 9 Feb 25, 2013 04:46 PM
27in 2011 iMac Fusion Drive & removing optical drive ZMacintosh iMac 1 Jan 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC