iMac Added to Employee Purchase Program, Suggesting Production Constraints Have Eased - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:01 PM   #26
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
The Powerbook 5300 is one. But I think they are currently sold out.
Damn, i was only 4 months away from saving enough to buy one new
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #27
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
So you have to be an apple employee to get apple products at a Stupidly inflated price for the spec of the hardware rather than the standard Outragously insulting inflated price for the spec...
What other notebook computer has the same specs as a macbook pro? Can you actually buy one that has the same or better batery life and unibody aluminum chassis, glass trackpad, firewire, thunderbolt and runs Mac OS X. I don't think is anything else with those specs.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #28
ogee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjordan View Post
How do I get one of those "friend and family " EPP discounts? Heard they're 15% off.
You need to be a friend or family of an Apple employee
ogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:42 PM   #29
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I wouldn't have expected this while they were in short supply. It's only logical that they would wait.
There aren't very many Apple employees that want an iMac this month. This is about perception.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:11 AM   #30
needfx
macrumors 68000

on second thought, imacs being in good production yields could mean that new TB displays are right around the corner
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:34 PM   #31
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjordan View Post
How do I get one of those "friend and family " EPP discounts? Heard they're 15% off.
Your friend or family member has to order it for you from within their firewall. Walking into a store with the employee present gets you only 10%.
acslater017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:49 PM   #32
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
What other notebook computer has the same specs as a macbook pro? Can you actually buy one that has the same or better batery life and unibody aluminum chassis, glass trackpad, firewire, thunderbolt and runs Mac OS X. I don't think is anything else with those specs.
Your right, i can get a Sony laptop with a better spec for less (and who the hell wants Firewire or Thunderbolt ? All thats needed is USB 3 and an HDMI out)

Thunderbolt . like firewire before it, is a dead duck, to expensive for anyone but the Must haves and technological snobs.

Same goes for retina displays, Until they can get a mobile GPU in there powerful enough to drive that resolution (which most desktops use two or three card SLIs to run at those resolutions) and until i have a pressing need to sit hunched over my keyboard inches from my screen then the current "normal" resolutions are already "retina" because i sit a sensible distance away from my systems during use, i cant pick out individual pixels anyway.

Battery life is also something ill disagree on, id rather have half the battery life, and the ability to carry a swappable spare or two, to have a built in battery that (on my current MBP) reduces its "life" after only a few cycles (im down to 74% "life" after 117 cycles and lost about 2% per cycle now, and the apple store says that its not Faulty ... Battery life is plummeting every day and i can't easily replace the batteries should they fail completely)

My next laptop Purchase is probably going to be an Alienware, and im going to install OSX on it for best of both worlds, Top line hardware and awesome OS.

The more apple try and make the machines they sell into disposable items, the less and less i like them as a company, they have gone from making functional systems you can actually trust to work to making fashion statements that you have to dispose of every couple of years.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #33
MR.HFG
macrumors newbie

I purchased my MBP through Best Buy as an open box item and saved roughly $400. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I was short on money and needed a laptop for school. The $500 discount + 25% OFF is ridiculously sweet for a Mac.

Colombian by birth, but American by privilege.
MR.HFG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion