Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mapping application CityMaps has relaunched on iOS with information for every city in the United States, as well as an array of social features such as the ability for users to share maps with one another.

The app includes data for over 15 million US locations, as well as contains turn-by-turn, walking, and public transit directions. It also contains notable social features such as the ability for both regular users and businesses to create and share maps through email and SMS, as well as integration into social networks like Instagram.
Citymaps' proprietary, vector-based mobile map covers 15 million locations throughout every city and town in the United States -- and we're quickly expanding across the globe. Every restaurant, hotel and store on Citymaps is represented by its logo, so it's easy to search and pinpoint places. Our map also features standard navigation capabilities, turn-by-turn directions, one-touch store finders, and a stream of real-time Instagram photos, menus, and user comments for every location.
CityMaps is available for free on iOS and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'CityMaps' Relaunches on iOS with Maps for Every US City, Social Features

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I don't see any reasons for using this.

The nice thing about CityMaps is that the maps are stored on the device so WiFi, LTE, etc are not needed for some basic nav capability (doubt if all the features such as turn-by-tun directions are available offline but haven't tried myself).

I used to use CityMaps2Go on my iPod Touch before getting iPad with SIM. Have it on my iPad too but use Google Maps instead.

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
According to their website you need to login with a Facebook account, so that makes it useless for those of us who ignore FB.....

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I just watched the video..... actually I couldn't finish it.

I was watching it hoping to learn about the app. Didn't help, I still have no idea what it is about.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Thought this might be a useful maps app (to add to the literally THOUSANDS of others out there) but when I visited the link and read the reviews, well I won't be downloading this.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't see any reasons for using this.

The reviews are that this version is buggy so I'm not likely to download it but I do find some of the ideas interesting and if they were incorporated into iOS Maps I think they could prove useful. Mainly I'm thinking of the stuff about businesses being able to update their info, including mapping within areas like college campuses, malls etc. and I rather like the idea of businesses being able to show their logo as that can make them more noticeable at a glance. But only if done when zoomed in so there's not a ton of overlapping cutter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.