Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
My new iMac has arrived today, I ran Migration Assistant to transfer stuff from my PC, and it completed OK, but I can't see that it transferred much at all.

The "file selection" area did not seem to show anthing to do with my Outlook stuff, contacts, e-mails etc, which I understood would be transferred.

If I have missed something obvious can I run it again?

It will take me a while to get used to the Mac way, but I am very happy to learn. :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I also got my first iMac today. I ran Migration assistant (took about 1.5 hours) and all my music and stuff is there. The problem I have is that i can't bring over the other 2 users from my PC or see how to set up an additional account for them. How did you connect to the PC? I used a ethernet cable direct between the 2.

readymade524

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
My new iMac has arrived today, I ran Migration Assistant to transfer stuff from my PC, and it completed OK, but I can't see that it transferred much at all.

The "file selection" area did not seem to show anthing to do with my Outlook stuff, contacts, e-mails etc, which I understood would be transferred.

Your data was likely moved to Address Book, Mail etc.

----------

I also got my first iMac today. I ran Migration assistant (took about 1.5 hours) and all my music and stuff is there. The problem I have is that i can't bring over the other 2 users from my PC or see how to set up an additional account for them. How did you connect to the PC? I used a ethernet cable direct between the 2.

You will need to create the other users on the new Mac first, then run the Migration Assistant from the new profile on the Mac and the old profile on the PC.

You can create the new users in the System Preferences->Accounts.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Did you run migration during the setup or did you finish setup before trying to go back and migrate? If the latter, your migrated data likely exists on another user account on the system. Check Users & Groups preferences, and see if there is an account listed under Other Users in addition to your Current User and the Guest account. To login to the migrated account, go to the Apple menu and log out. When you try logging into an account migrated from a PC you will be prompted to enter in a new password. At this point you should have access to all your migrated data. You can remove the initially created account by going back to Users & Groups preferences, unlocking the lock in the bottom left, then selecting an account other than the currently logged-in one, then clicking the - sign. You can choose whether to save the user as a disk image, just delete the login but keep the home folder, or delete the home folder containing all of its files. You can also enable automatic login from Login Options.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Did you run migration during the setup or did you finish setup before trying to go back and migrate? If the latter, your migrated data likely exists on another user account on the system. Check Users & Groups preferences, and see if there is an account listed under Other Users in addition to your Current User and the Guest account. To login to the migrated account, go to the Apple menu and log out. When you try logging into an account migrated from a PC you will be prompted to enter in a new password. At this point you should have access to all your migrated data.

I did it on initial set up. All the information was migrated into the first account (mine). I have now set up the other two accounts manually and will just drag the stuff they have of the external. Been busy trying out other things! The machine is so quick compared to my old dog of a PC though. Its going to be hard going to use my XP machine at work on Monday. Still lots to learn though!

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Your data was likely moved to Address Book, Mail etc.

Thanks, I think (??) I have worked out what went wrong. When Migration Assistant was at the directory selection stage I unticked a number of Windows directories which I did not realise may have contained my Mail & Contacts data.

I will have to run it all again using the defaults.

I assume I am right in thinking that I will have to delete the iMac account that was created last time as I gather from an article in "Switch to Mac" by the MacFormat magazine that Migration Assistant cannot move data to an existing account of the same name?

readymade524

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I assume I am right in thinking that I will have to delete the iMac account that was created last time as I gather from an article in "Switch to Mac" by the MacFormat magazine that Migration Assistant cannot move data to an existing account of the same name?[/QUOTE]

I believe that is true.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I did delete the account I created the other day, and re-ran Migration , I left it to move everything without unticking any of the directories. It completed OK.

I then logged in to the newly created account, but sadly there was no sign that any data had been transferred from Outlook.

It looks as if I will have to get all my contact data across another way, probably by typing it all in again. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.