Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Bit of a silly statement given that we already know that at least 1 other player is involved, and in a big way - Opera. They have a big team of developers, nearly all of which will be working on Blink full time.

You'd know that though as you've done your research.

Well aware that Opera is involved, mate. Just saying that I would like to see a more vibrant community than that, although it is a step in the right direction. On the other hand, I don't want to see anyone else abandon WebKit, either...

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I use safari daily and never have less than 17 tabs open for school or work many times I'll have multiple windows with just as many tabs. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.

Maybe it's because I consider 17 tabs to be a small number. Attached is what my tab bar looks like right now... and that's just on my main window. I have another window dedicated to music stuff, another two to electric vehicle stuff, another for school stuff, and another for a project, each with 3-13 tabs open. Safari simply can't handle that.

My brother has 300-400 tabs open at a time, but that's just ridiculous. At least I perform clean-up from time to time :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 2.56.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 2.56.44 PM.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 105

Renzatic

Suspended
My brother has 300-400 tabs open at a time, but that's just ridiculous. At least I perform clean-up from time to time :rolleyes:

I've seen even worse than that. I've got this friend who hates tabs, and will keep 200 Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer windows open for months on end. If he sees something he wants to read later, he'll right click, open in new window, and add it to the pile. At any given moment, he has at least 30 taskbars full of nothing but browser windows.

He actually had to upgrade to 8GB ram just because he keeps all that open.

I asked why he doesn't use tabs, or use something like readability to sort through it all without using up so much space and resources. All he'll tell me is he's used to the way he does things. It's about damn stupid is what it is.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've seen even worse than that. I've got this friend who hates tabs, and will keep 200 Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer windows open for months on end. If he sees something he wants to read later, he'll right click, open in new window, and add it to the pile. At any given moment, he has at least 30 taskbars full of nothing but browser windows.

He actually had to upgrade to 8GB ram just because he keeps all that open.

I asked why he doesn't use tabs, or use something like readability to sort through it all without using up so much space and resources. All he'll tell me is he's used to the way he does things. It's about damn stupid is what it is.

Imagine if he used a browser that crashed and didn't re-open lost tabs or if one tab crashed and it brought everything down like in the "old days"

Oh cruel world....

Renzatic

Suspended
Imagine if he used a browser that crashed and didn't re-open lost tabs or if one tab crashed and it brought everything down like in the "old days"

Oh cruel world....

Nope. Instead he has to worry about constant page faults bogging down his machine if he opens up a random program because 98% of his memory is taken up by browser windows.

I'm not the heaviest internet user in the world, usually I only have about 4-5 tabs open at any given time. Under heavy use, I might have 10 or 12. I can even understand people who use it a bit heavier than even that, and might keep 30 or so open.

...but 300? Why? I'd ask him...again, but all he does is look at me like I'm the one that's stupid whenever I try to find out.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Nope. Instead he has to worry about constant page faults bogging down his machine if he opens up a random program because 98% of his memory is taken up by browser windows.

I'm not the heaviest internet user in the world, usually I only have about 4-5 tabs open at any given time. Under heavy use, I might have 10 or 12. I can even understand people who use it a bit heavier than even that, and might keep 30 or so open.

...but 300? Why? I'd ask him...again, but all he does is look at me like I'm the one that's stupid whenever I try to find out.

I can understand 150, maybe even 200 tabs. I hate bookmarks because they're just a black hole where I'll never see anything again. With tabs they're always right in front of me, and I can keep better track of them. Windows serve to divide up certain tasks from others; for example I have three tabs in a separate window from my main with a research project I'm working on, to ensure I can keep track of everything.

But 300 windows... that's just ridiculous. A usability nightmare more than anything. As Steve said, "you get to be the janitor managing all these different windows." And who wants to give themselves more janitorial work?

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
The majority of Google's income is derived from Advertising. That means they seek to collect as much demographic info as they can to better sell their ads.

But it doesn't have to be that way, nor should it be. Advertising is obviously how any internet service makes reasonable profit, but targeting and recording personal data, such as age, and likes/dislikes, is really unacceptable.

MAINTAINING PRIVACY is paramount - because if they fail to do that - they will lose all of their users. They have every bit (and more) reason to protect users from being exposed because without them - they can't target ads.
Oh really? http://gawker.com/5637234/ The fact of the matter is that Google does try to at least protect the data in some way, but as it turns out, it will always come out in some way, or another. That is in and of itself one of the large issues inside storing personal data. Especially as in this instance, there is no true need whatsoever to store this data at all.

I don't fully trust any company. Company's act in their best interest. That goes for Google, Apple, Samsung, McDonalds, Whole Foods, and extends to government agencies and other institutions.

Too true... But the storing and profiling of data for extended periods of time is an oddity as companies like Apple, when they do collect data, it's most often anonymous, and when it's not, the personal data is anonymized at a later to date, and all data is kept separate. While Google isn't alone in recording info, they are alone in the way they handle and store it, which is questionable...

But we're so off topic now because google forking webkit isn't going to mean any more or any less data collection than they already have access to.

Haha, yeah, a little, but I guess it sort of comes full circle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.