Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Spytap
macrumors member

No! Stop dimming the screen!

Has anyone else run into their new 2013 MBA *really* insisting that the screen brightness be turned down? It's become sort of a comical back and forth where when I move from one environment to another, the screen compensates by dimming, I turn it back up a notch or two to match my preference, and then it dims it back down to the first setting it picked. Repeat, until I feel like we're actually having an argument.

I don't want to turn dimming off completely, as the autodim is functional - I just want it to stay where it is once I've adjusted it a bit brighter and not decide that it was right the first time. God help me if the sun goes behind a cloud, it becomes an epic back and forth battle over two notches of brightness:

Shade. MBA dims seven clicks. I brighten two clicks. MBA redims two clicks. I rebrighten two clicks. MBA redims two clicks. I yell at it and post to MRF.
Spytap is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
chumawumba
Banned

If it bothers you that much then just turn off auto brightness. No need to pointlessly rant.
chumawumba is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
If it bothers you that much then just turn off auto brightness. No need to pointlessly rant.
Chill, chuma! He was just asking if there was a way to do it

But yes, unfortunately there's no way to change it other than to turn off auto-brightness. Sorry OP!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Psychj0e
Banned

Quote:
Chillax chumba.
Psychj0e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Jefe's MacAir
macrumors regular

I've found the auto dimming for both the screen and the keyboard to be a mild nuisance. Found it much simpler and less irritating to just turn it off and adjust manually as that is what I, and you, end up doing anyway.
Jefe's MacAir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's MacAir View Post
I've found the auto dimming for both the screen and the keyboard to be a mild nuisance. Found it much simpler and less irritating to just turn it off and adjust manually as that is what I, and you, end up doing anyway.
yup - auto-bright features are usually huge fails.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Tarrou8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytap View Post
Has anyone else run into their new 2013 MBA *really* insisting that the screen brightness be turned down? It's become sort of a comical back and forth where when I move from one environment to another, the screen compensates by dimming, I turn it back up a notch or two to match my preference, and then it dims it back down to the first setting it picked. Repeat, until I feel like we're actually having an argument.

I don't want to turn dimming off completely, as the autodim is functional - I just want it to stay where it is once I've adjusted it a bit brighter and not decide that it was right the first time. God help me if the sun goes behind a cloud, it becomes an epic back and forth battle over two notches of brightness:

Shade. MBA dims seven clicks. I brighten two clicks. MBA redims two clicks. I rebrighten two clicks. MBA redims two clicks. I yell at it and post to MRF.
This post pretty much sums up MacRumors in its entirety.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:28 AM   #8
MikeyMike01
macrumors 6502

I turned off auto brightness fairly quickly.

There's a handy button (two of them!) to handle changing it manually if need be.
Apple TV (3rd Gen)
MikeyMike01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:19 AM   #9
nickandre21
macrumors 6502a

I've found auto brightness a pain in the *** turned it of on my tv, phone and macbook. Always better to do it manually.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:31 AM   #10
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytap View Post
I don't want to turn dimming off completely, as the autodim is functional - I just want it to stay where it is once I've adjusted it a bit brighter and not decide that it was right the first time.
In other words, you'd like a more intuitive auto-dim function that can sense your satisfaction level and disable itself until a GPS function has determined you've moved? Got it.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #11
biglipps66
macrumors newbie

One of the first things I did when I bought mine was turn off that feather.

Problem solved.

/Thread
biglipps66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Ronnoco
macrumors 68010

Disabled it on every device I own
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Jonnyfive
macrumors regular

Quote:
This man speaks the truth!
Jonnyfive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:14 AM   #14
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
In other words, you'd like a more intuitive auto-dim function that can sense your satisfaction level and disable itself until a GPS function has determined you've moved? Got it.
This could maybe be coded with the webcam to analyze the user's eyes for squinting etc. Could also possibly turn the screen OFF entirely when you aren't looking at it
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Spytap
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
It has nothing to do with location, I just think it's silly that if the laptop autodims and I "correct" the system by bumping it back up, that it would override that request (several times) in order to "recorrect" the user. If it dims, and I change it back, it shouldn't then decide (without changing any other parameters, mind you) that my changes were unsatisfactory and try to redim again. And again. And Again.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
This could maybe be coded with the webcam to analyze the user's eyes for squinting etc. Could also possibly turn the screen OFF entirely when you aren't looking at it
Or just accept that when the sun moves and it dims to compensate, when I change the settings the laptop shouldn't decide to change them back again.
Spytap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Just turn it off and use the screen brightness buttons. Moaning on here isn't going to get you anywhere.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:36 PM   #17
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

I find auto-brightness to be incredibly useful if you are a passenger during a long road trip through the mountains of Europe. You can pull out your advanced macbook and ouilå, as you drive in and out of tunnels the screen automatically adjusts itself to a comfortable brightness.

Unfortunately if you're just sitting down at a desk, the auto-brightness capabilities are a little minion-ish.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Am running 10.8.2 and am surprised there isn't a "how strong u want this feature to function" like on an iPhone. Should compensate somewhat ur discomfort but probably will never be perfect.

Even my old Civic's stereo (Japanese famous for stingy on gadgets) has a low-mid-high settings audio compensation against ambient noise.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air