Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:06 AM   #126
iCaleb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Thanks for the info regarding the title confusion.

I would like to contribute to MR but I don't like that you have to pay EVERY year thats a real pain to remember.

Shown below is my membership solution.

If my idea below comes to life I will be more than happy to donate 100$ to be a Gold Member.

========================================================

Bronze Membership 25 $

This membership lasts 1 year.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

One small bronze colored MR apple will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal of most ads.

Bronze Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Silver Membership 50 $

This membership lasts 5 years.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

Two small silver colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal ALL ads.

Silver Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Gold Membership 100 $

This membership lasts forever!!!

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

As a gold member that is new to the MR forums you can now have an avatar without waiting.

Three small golden colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal of ALL ads.

Gold Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Side note..........All of the MR staff and mods should have their usernames colored in red (the same red found on the MR logo) just to better identify themselves.

Last edited by iCaleb; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
iCaleb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:10 AM   #127
tekno
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
I disagree. As much as I like the G5 moniker, bein G5 means you have spent your time to be here and have helped and put serious input into the community. I don't feel G5 should be lowered this easily
This is very sad to read. You appear to be getting upset about a moniker on an internet forum.

Don't worry about it. Turn off your computer and go and get some fresh air. You may even choose to speak to a real person.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:02 AM   #128
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
thats a real pain to remember.
Not soo much, you get one reminder before expiry date. Even if you don't continue nothing happen except you see ads again.. Just reapply whenever you like. Easy as it is.
The only issue I have is: PayPal ... I need that only for MR
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 PM   #129
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
Thanks for the info regarding the title confusion.

I would like to contribute to MR but I don't like that you have to pay EVERY year thats a real pain to remember.

Shown below is my membership solution.

If my idea below comes to life I will be more than happy to donate 100$ to be a Gold Member.
A subscribe via PayPal solution would be better. $25 from every user every year, vs $100 once is more beneficial from a maintenance point of view. That's why they don't have lifetime memberships for most things.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:07 PM   #130
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
A subscribe via PayPal solution would be better. $25 from every user every year, vs $100 once is more beneficial from a maintenance point of view. That's why they don't have lifetime memberships for most things.
I personally like the way it is now more than any other solution I've read (or can recall reading), including iCaleb's above.

For one, $25/year isn't much so I don't personally see a need to discount it in any way with "packages" or other similar options.

Secondly, this breakdown of $25, $50, and $100 essentially devalues the "appearance" or "dedication" of those who can't as easily cough up $100 at any given moment by giving them less of these "MR apples" and "minting" them in less valuable materials (i.e. off-line, a single gold coin likely has more value than three bronze ones of similar size & weight, yet this would give the $100 contributor three gold apples to another's single bronze one).

Lastly, it doesn't take into account that 5+ years of $25/year means you've contributed more than those who paid $100 up front.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
r2shyyou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:34 PM   #131
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
<massive snip about new membership ideas>
That seems unhelpfully complicated. You get reminders. It's very obvious when you can no longer get into private forums and ads return. And $25 for a year, $50 for 5? How does that math work out?
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:44 AM   #132
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Seems 19,000 posts gets you to be a macrumors Core.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:39 AM   #133
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Seems 19,000 posts gets you to be a macrumors Core.
I really like that title...

It has more resonance and alternative meanings than most of the titles.

For example, Your a core user, a core member of a team, an integral part of macrumors etc... It's probably the nicest title you can have imo
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:02 AM   #134
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
I really like that title...

It has more resonance and alternative meanings than most of the titles.

For example, Your a core user, a core member of a team, an integral part of macrumors etc... It's probably the nicest title you can have imo
Nice analysis, I never looked at it that way, I was just sad, that I missed G4 completely.

It even fits my avatar somehow.

Last edited by simsaladimbamba; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: sad to have written said instead of sad
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #135
rhett7660
macrumors G3
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
I really like that title...

It has more resonance and alternative meanings than most of the titles.

For example, Your a core user, a core member of a team, an integral part of macrumors etc... It's probably the nicest title you can have imo
Having read this, I agree. I like it too.
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:08 PM   #136
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm none the wiser either FWI, but I never thought I'd attain a post count of 13000 or anywhere near it...I've never chased the thing just had time on my hands, and once on line you kind of get into a discussion or an issue someone is having and I guess it just mounts up.

G5 is ironic for me, as I had one in the house for a week...I replaced the DVD drive and they guy decided he wanted it back...it runs Tiger very well, but he could;t get his head around the idea of it being a collectable rather than a computer for "Modern" usage.

Oh well, I guess I will start a collection one day!
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:45 PM   #137
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
makes me wonder how once prolific posters just cold turkey leave

I mean....they probably are still on a computer quite a bit
Life can bring changes to how one participates on MR; on one occasion, working abroad for over a year, I hardly posted for the best part of six months. I was simply too busy - and felt completely in a different world to that of most posters.

I'd imagine a new job, new country, new relationship, personal tsunamis and so on are the sort of things which would cause one to scale back, withdraw, or depart from MR. Some leave and return later - which is a nice thing; some decide that the need it fulfilled is met elsewhere; some may decide they have otter commitments. To my mind, it is not so strange, really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
Thanks for the info regarding the title confusion.

I would like to contribute to MR but I don't like that you have to pay EVERY year thats a real pain to remember.

Shown below is my membership solution.

If my idea below comes to life I will be more than happy to donate 100$ to be a Gold Member.

========================================================

Bronze Membership 25 $

This membership lasts 1 year.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

One small bronze colored MR apple will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal of most ads.

Bronze Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Silver Membership 50 $

This membership lasts 5 years.

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

Two small silver colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal ALL ads.

Silver Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Gold Membership 100 $

This membership lasts forever!!!

The satisfaction of knowing you are helping MacRumors (the primary reason to contribute).

As a gold member that is new to the MR forums you can now have an avatar without waiting.

Three small golden colored MR apples will appear underneath your title.

Access to a private forum.

Removal of ALL ads.

Gold Member, Demi-Goddess, Demi-God or Contributor titles.

The ability to customize your profile page and photo album pages.

========================================================

Side note..........All of the MR staff and mods should have their usernames colored in red (the same red found on the MR logo) just to better identify themselves.
Re-reading this entire thread tonight - an aside: Is that an action which might be regarded as sane or merely satisfying a curiosity which still hasn't a clue of what is going on? That question is rhetorical.

However, this is the sort of universe where members like things catalogued and filed away so that some sort of ordinal logic can be identified. I think the issue with those who have quibbled a little with the changes is not that certain titles are 'easier' (relatively) to obtain now than they were, but rather, that the internal ordinal logic does not appear to make sense, or has not been explained well.

In any case, I quoted the above post because I think it is well argued and could work.

Re $100 for a life ('three golden applies') membership versus the permanent award of $25 dollars annually, here the argument is that people's economic circumstances can change. There are times when $100 seems little, because of remunerative employment, followed by fallow periods where $25 is begrudged because you notice - and feel and need to justify - the fact that you have just spent this money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I'm none the wiser either FWI, but I never thought I'd attain a post count of 13000 or anywhere near it...I've never chased the thing just had time on my hands, and once on line you kind of get into a discussion or an issue someone is having and I guess it just mounts up.

G5 is ironic for me, as I had one in the house for a week...I replaced the DVD drive and they guy decided he wanted it back...it runs Tiger very well, but he could;t get his head around the idea of it being a collectable rather than a computer for "Modern" usage.

Oh well, I guess I will start a collection one day!
The thing that astonishes me about 'collecting' computers is how many of them are utterly obsolete - a mere 30 years after the most transformational revolution in our times, at least on a par with the invention of the printing press (and concomitant invention of paper) - and cannot be used, or accessed, at all once they are utterly obsolete, unlike, say, papyrus, quills, books, and paper, all of which can still be read, sometimes thousands of years later, by those who know the language.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AppWage tool for tracking Sales, Rankings and Reviews zenox Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Apr 8, 2014 06:04 PM
Anyone seen a sudden change in app rankings soch App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 2 Mar 11, 2013 11:03 PM
Suddenly huge drop in rankings akidokraja App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 2 Jan 28, 2013 12:26 PM
UK 6th in school rankings jnpy!$4g3cwk Politics, Religion, Social Issues 28 Nov 29, 2012 05:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC