Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoagie5252

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
so recently i moved all my media to a external drive and i noticed t takes longer to get anything to start playing from the apple tv. is there any way to speed this up?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so recently i moved all my media to a external drive and i noticed t takes longer to get anything to start playing from the apple tv. is there any way to speed this up?
The delay is likely waiting for the drive to spin up. Once it's spinning, there shouldn't be a delay. You probably wouldn't have any noticeable delay with a SSD.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
same thing here -I am using USB 2.0 so there is a definite delay. unfortunately I was using too much space on the imac - so I had to move the library. Find it even more irritating when I am trying to access remotely.

Hoagie52

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in USB 2.0 an old Mac. I guess I will have to deal with it or just move my movie files.

capt601

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
i have this same issue, however after 20 minutes we give up watching the movie through the apple tv3. watching a movie on my iMac with teh same source, external drive, causes zero delays. think this is an apple tv issue. before the last update i did not have this delay.

Hoagie52

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
i have this same issue, however after 20 minutes we give up watching the movie through the apple tv3. watching a movie on my iMac with teh same source, external drive, causes zero delays. think this is an apple tv issue. before the last update i did not have this delay.

It's funny two day after I had this problem I tried agin and didn't experience any problems. The movie started within 10 seconds and never buffered.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I am having the same problem, my setup:

Apple Airport Extreme with external HD, Apple Tv JB

When I try to play a file directly from the HD through XBMC it buffers and stops like crazy.

I decided to try the PS3 Media Server connected to Allshare over WIFI on my samsung and it streamed a 20gb MKV 3D 1080P movie without one buffer.

Both TV and Apple TV are hooked to router by ethernet. What I don't get is the PS3 Media server needs to go through an extra step and then uses wifi to connect to the Allshare, so I don't understand why a direct connection like AppleTV to router would basically be useless in this situation.

Anyone know why this is happening?

And just the other day I tried to stream a movie I own in Itunes and it said it would be 38 minutes before it could start and I went to Icefilms on XBMC and it played without a hiccup.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
well, you must realize that a usb drive hooked up to an aeb via I presume wireless, then the mac wireless to the atv will cut your bandwidth in half. Cause the move has to be streamed on the network to the mac, then streamed back to the atv. Its not like its a one way connection from the aeb with the usb drive right to the atv. Provided I understand your setup correctly. If not, please disregard the above.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
well, you must realize that a usb drive hooked up to an aeb via I presume wireless, then the mac wireless to the atv will cut your bandwidth in half. Cause the move has to be streamed on the network to the mac, then streamed back to the atv. Its not like its a one way connection from the aeb with the usb drive right to the atv. Provided I understand your setup correctly. If not, please disregard the above.

The External HD is plugged directly into AE via USB, the AE is connected to AppleTV 2 via Ethernet cable, I don't even need the Mac you can just take that out of the equation with my setup through XBMC since I access my external HD directly from ATV2.

With the PS3 setup I do have to go through the additional step of shooting it over wifi to ATV2 and it still works flawlessly, so I know its not my connection, and I don't understand why the ATV2 can't handle the large files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.