Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 25, 2014, 05:22 PM   #626
Lachhh
Banned

@Thread: The largest iTunes library I've ever had was around 150 gigs. (Of constantly cycling music, never kept the bulk of it in there for too long.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
Geez, all THAT music out there - looking for CD quality copy of

Jack Jones - L.A. Breakdown (and take me in)

if you've got it, can you tell me where I can get it?
Check your messages.
Lachhh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:07 PM   #627
albertfallickwa
macrumors 6502

Right now 29.4 GB of lossless ALAC music... and growing.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 04:53 AM   #628
Library.xml
macrumors newbie

iTunes Music Library.xml = 479 GB (on SSD boot drive)

[Edited - couldn't edit title - should be 479 MB not 479 GB]

I hope to find some way of improving iTunes performance or a better solution than iTunes for managing my large music collection.

I have iTunes Music Library.xml = 479 MB (on SSD boot drive)
Song Files (mp3) = 216,903 (on 3TB internal Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 via SATA 3.0Gb/s on MOBO)

Latency is a very big problem for me.

I have tried many things:

+ Upgraded to faster PC, more RAM
+ Defragmented hard drives
+ Switched to SSD boot drive to speed up read/write of iTunes Music Library.xml
+ Disabled 'live updating' in smart lists
etc.

Nothing really helps very much.
Seems like I've spend half my life waiting for iTunes to handle mouse clicks - then when it finally responds, it sometimes handles mouse clicks in the wrong order. Miserable.

I would almost be willing to switch (back) to Mac (ditched it and switched to Windows back when OS 9 couldn't support long file names) but I notice that Mac users with big libraries seem to have the same latency / scrolling problems that I have.

I know the problem is the size of the library xml file but that is partly because I'm an obsessive catalog freak: I research data constantly, adding details of all the sidemen on each track, etc.

My guess is that iTunes is hopelessly doomed.
XML is probably the problem - a scalable library app probably should run off of a separate dedicated database.

Last edited by Library.xml; Dec 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Library.xml is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2014, 04:26 PM   #629
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library.xml View Post
I hope to find some way of improving iTunes performance or a better solution than iTunes for managing my large music collection.

I have iTunes Music Library.xml = 479 GB (on SSD boot drive)
Song Files (mp3) = 216,903 (on 3TB internal Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 via SATA 3.0Gb/s on MOBO)

Latency is a very big problem for me.

I have tried many things:

+ Upgraded to faster PC, more RAM
+ Defragmented hard drives
+ Switched to SSD boot drive to speed up read/write of iTunes Music Library.xml
+ Disabled 'live updating' in smart lists
etc.

Nothing really helps very much.
Seems like I've spend half my life waiting for iTunes to handle mouse clicks - then when it finally responds, it sometimes handles mouse clicks in the wrong order. Miserable.

I would almost be willing to switch (back) to Mac (ditched it and switched to Windows back when OS 9 couldn't support long file names) but I notice that Mac users with big libraries seem to have the same latency / scrolling problems that I have.

I know the problem is the size of the library xml file but that is partly because I'm an obsessive catalog freak: I research data constantly, adding details of all the sidemen on each track, etc.

My guess is that iTunes is hopelessly doomed.
XML is probably the problem - a scalable library app probably should run off of a separate dedicated database.
Am I missing something? your sig says your boot drive is 180gb. Then you say you have your iTunes XML file(479gb) on the same boot drive?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:34 PM   #630
Library.xml
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
Am I missing something? your sig says your boot drive is 180gb. Then you say you have your iTunes XML file(479gb) on the same boot drive?
Woops.
Edited - couldn't edit title - should be 479 MB not 479 GB
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:41 PM   #631
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library.xml View Post
Woops.
Edited - couldn't edit title - should be 479 MB not 479 GB
Other than itunes not performing well with such large libraries check the speed at which your drives are spinning.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 06:29 AM   #632
jrcsh6
macrumors 6502

iTunes doesn't seem to like big collections. I have 38k songs. Most at 320kbps. Some lossless/flac conversions and done really bad low kbps. Then then 300 movies which I encoded at 1gb each for ease of management on my iPad. I'm going to take on a new project to up then to full res as times change. I currently run it all off of a 4th drive and back up to another monthly along with iPhoto's files.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:26 AM   #633
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

I am currently in the process of reducing my iTunes library. I want everything back on my computer.

I went from 500-600gb to ~200gb.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod