Hotmail calendar and iPhone 5 .. anyone? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Subu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Hotmail calendar and iPhone 5 .. anyone?

Dear Folks

Has anyone synched the Hotmail (or now called Live) calendar with iPhone 5

I'm referring to calendar(dot)live(dot)com

The calender looks ok / nothing special, but I wish to use it because that way (using hotmail) I can have a personal calendar (company wants me to synch iPhone's calendar with company ! )

What's the practical experience / knowledge base I should listen to ?

Any other better solution / free app ?


TIA
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
you can still use iphone calendar i think.


you dont need to share everything with the company. just create a calendar named "work" or something and everything you insert with that tab will be synced with the people you chose, the rest won't.


someone correct me if I'm wrong but i think that is how it works.


as for hotmail i have no idea how to use it in ios. i know it syncs with Facebook which in turn is synced to my device but you'll get notifications via email which is kinda primitive.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
you can still use iphone calendar i think.


you dont need to share everything with the company. just create a calendar named "work" or something and everything you insert with that tab will be synced with the people you chose, the rest won't.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but i think that is how it works.

as for hotmail i have no idea how to use it in ios. i know it syncs with Facebook which in turn is synced to my device but you'll get notifications via email which is kinda primitive.
Terrific. Thanks. I thought I read a similar comment somewhere else, but could not locate it. So posted the question again

So .... , could I create *a new calendar * called Personal or something and keep that for myself ?

Status
============
my iPhone mail *is* synched thru lotus notes with company,
my present calendar (the only calendar I have) *is* synched with company ,

...and...
===========
so I need to be really sure that my calendar is *not* synched

How do I ensure not synched ?


My other question
=================
are there some good / recommended calendar apps ?


TIA
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subu View Post
Terrific. Thanks. I thought I read a similar comment somewhere else, but could not locate it. So posted the question again

So .... , could I create *a new calendar * called Personal or something and keep that for myself ?

Status
============
my iPhone mail *is* synched thru lotus notes with company,
my present calendar (the only calendar I have) *is* synched with company ,

...and...
===========
so I need to be really sure that my calendar is *not* synched

How do I ensure not synched ?


My other question
=================
are there some good / recommended calendar apps ?


TIA
go to Calendars, select the Calendar button at the top.

select the right arrow on any active calendar and check if its "shared with".

you can create as many as you like.

under iOS settings check which is you default calendar. this means every time you post a new event, it will be your default option. if its private, it will allow you to change it.


a very popular calendar app out there is Fantastical, but its not free.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
go to Calendars, select the Calendar button at the top.

select the right arrow on any active calendar and check if its "shared with".

you can create as many as you like.

under iOS settings check which is you default calendar. this means every time you post a new event, it will be your default option. if its private, it will allow you to change it.


a very popular calendar app out there is Fantastical, but its not free.
*thanks* !!

gentlemen ....you rock ...this forum is great !!


TIA
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
go to Calendars, select the Calendar button at the top.

select the right arrow on any active calendar and check if its "shared with".

you can create as many as you like.
I tried your idea of creating multiple calenders in iPhone

So tapped on the calendar app

This is what I see ... but unable to see which calendar is shared etc

Any further help would be appreciated


TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_08_36 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	392451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_04_27 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	392452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_05_20 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	392453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_05_40 PM.png
Views:	5
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	392454  
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subu View Post
I tried your idea of creating multiple calenders in iPhone

So tapped on the calendar app

This is what I see ... but unable to see which calendar is shared etc

Any further help would be appreciated


TIA

have you tried pressing on that blue arrow at the right of each calendar?
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
have you tried pressing on that blue arrow at the right of each calendar?
Yes I have. The screen shot of what I see AFTER pressing on the arrow at the right is enclosed below. Sorry IF I was NOT clear earlier

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_05_40 PM.png
Views:	6
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	392516  
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subu View Post
Yes I have. The screen shot of what I see AFTER pressing on the arrow at the right is enclosed below. Sorry IF I was NOT clear earlier

TIA
My entire doubt is , there is nothing to choose except the colours ... there is no shared / not shared there and that makes me even more worried :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 1_25_2013 , 8_05_40 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	392521  
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subu View Post
My entire doubt is , there is nothing to choose except the colours ... there is no shared / not shared there and that makes me even more worried :-)
curious...


i get this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	392522  
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
aaah hold on...


i think that option will only appear on iCloud calendars.



i would bet your lotus notes is already set up for sharing; but that doesnt mean your icloud is...


but i cant guarantee.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:55 PM   #12
DefBref
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I think you are misunderstanding how the ipad calendar works.

You have 4 accounts setup in your calendar:

1) A gmail account
2) A hotmail account
3) A icloud account
4) A lotus notes account (i guess this is your work account)

Each of these accounts is separate and adding an event to any of them does not mean they get added to all the others, its just merely displayed on the ipad calendar. Similar to the unified inbox in the mail app. Nobody else with access to your work account can see the other accounts, just because they are all displayed on the ipad.

The only thing you have to worry about is which one is your default account, because that is the one new events you create will be added to, so you will probably not want this as your work account.
DefBref is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
curious...


i get this:

iPhone 5 ? or ?

I'm asking to learn / clarify and not to sound offensive


TIA

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
I think you are misunderstanding how the ipad calendar works.

You have 4 accounts setup in your calendar:

1) A gmail account
2) A hotmail account
3) A icloud account
4) A lotus notes account (i guess this is your work account)

Each of these accounts is separate and adding an event to any of them does not mean they get added to all the others, its just merely displayed on the ipad calendar. Similar to the unified inbox in the mail app. Nobody else with access to your work account can see the other accounts, just because they are all displayed on the ipad.

The only thing you have to worry about is which one is your default account, because that is the one new events you create will be added to, so you will probably not want this as your work account.

Thanks for the terrific reply

You are right about the lotus notes being the work account

I have set my hotmail as default for now ..so you are right there as well

Having agree to all that, why isn't it showing a share / don't share button or Private / not private button on each calendar ?

How do I know which calendar is private and which isn't ?

TIA
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)

Last edited by Subu; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: corrected horrible typos
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #14
DefBref
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Only the icloud calendar can be set to be shared from within the ipad calendar app.

The hotmail and gmail accounts would be setup for sharing via their account logins at hotmailcom and google.com. You would have to have set this up, so unless somebody else has your login details, by default they should not be shared with anybody else.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subu View Post
iPhone 5 ? or ?

I'm asking to learn / clarify and not to sound offensive


TIA

----------




Thanks for the terrific reply

You are right about the lotus notes being the work account

I have set my hotmail as default for now ..so you are right there as well

Having agree to all that, why isn't it showing a share / don't share button or Private / not private button on each calendar ?

How do I know which calendar is private and which isn't ?

TIA
those option are only available for icloud calendars - so that you may share them with other icloud accounts.

my bet is that your lotus notes account was set up to share when it was created.

if you have created your hotmail, gmail account you should be safe - they shouldn't be shared with anyone unless you set it up that way.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Subu
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Only the icloud calendar can be set to be shared from within the ipad calendar app.

The hotmail and gmail accounts would be setup for sharing via their account logins at hotmailcom and google.com. You would have to have set this up, so unless somebody else has your login details, by default they should not be shared with anybody else.
Thanks again.

No one else has my hotmail / gmail login passwords ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
those option are only available for icloud calendars - so that you may share them with other icloud accounts.

my bet is that your lotus notes account was set up to share when it was created.

if you have created your hotmail, gmail account you should be safe - they shouldn't be shared with anyone unless you set it up that way.
Thanks !
__________________
Regards, Subu
iPhone 5, iPad 2G, iTunes , spending time on Macrumors .. hmm I'm supposed to be a PC fan ! :-)
Subu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:28 AM   #17
errant
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
if you care about birthdays being on the correct day, whatever you do, don't sync your iPhone with Outlook contacts and the hotmail connecter. after a few syncs, the date starts sliding. something to do with it being an all-day event and Apple not fixing the code for this combination.

it's infuriating and I finally gave up and just added iCloud into my Outlook folders and started using iCloud for contact synching, loathe as I am to go that route.
errant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just switched from Hotmail to Gmail...does anyone else find Hotmail better on iPhone? TH55 iPhone 46 May 9, 2013 12:39 PM
Siri's Cousin 'Tempo Smart Calendar' Uses iPhone Data to Provide Enhanced Calendar Experience MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 28 Feb 24, 2013 07:26 AM
is there a google calendar, yahoo calendar, msn calendar .. app for iPhone ? Subu iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Jan 15, 2013 10:16 PM
Turned off hotmail calendar turning up in notifications itsmemuffins iPhone 0 Jul 3, 2012 07:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC