Facebook shares hit new low - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 31, 2012, 02:59 PM   #26
sviato
macrumors 68000

Okay, the IPO was priced at $38 but actually opened at $42 because insiders were able to buy the stock before it went public, thus creating demand and driving up the price. These insiders who sold when the stock opened at $42 made the most possible profit on day 1.

The price began to fall quickly for a number of reasons. One of them was that a day or two before the IPO, Facebook increased the number of shares being issues by around 100 million. This led to confusion as many investors ended up buying more shares than they originally intended which caused a panic for some so they started selling. Another reason is that NASDAQ had issues and delays with opening the stock to the public and many investors did not receive proper notification of whether they actually bought or sold their shares until hours after they did so.

There was also talk of Facebook and its underwriters revealing important information surrounding the IPO to some investors and not to others. Although I'm not presently sure if those rumors were confirmed.

One of the reasons why the IPO was priced so high and was hyped so much was that a lot of people were expecting the stock to behave like LinkedIn did on its first day and wanted to make a quick buck.

After all those issues and the aftermath of lawsuits and talk of misinformation, investors are thinking "sell sell sell" and thus supply is exceeding demand and driving the price down.

Also, (this week I believe) options on the stock began trading which also drove the price down.
sviato is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:13 AM   #27
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
And that constitute a record of historical accuracy?

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending Zuckerberg, as I know nothing about him. I saw the film and am aware that it is not exactly a documentary.

He may well be the ******* you think he is, but that movie is not a citation of any value.

Documentaries frequently include inaccurate depictions, and/or embellishments added to entertain the audience.

But I think The Social Network went a bit beyond embellishment and simply went for good old "making s*** up".
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:16 AM   #28
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
Documentaries frequently include inaccurate depictions, and/or embellishments added to entertain the audience.

But I think The Social Network went a bit beyond embellishment and simply went for good old "making s*** up".
Wohhhhhhhhoo. You don't mean hollywood embellished a story to make it more entertaining thus put more butts in the seats at theaters. This would never happen.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:47 AM   #29
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post

You are, of course, absolutely right that many documentaries are less than perfectly accurate or objective. But, as you point out, the movie apparently (from what I have read) took some really significant liberties (as in "making s*** up"!)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Zuckerberg (confirmed ass) is loosing money on an overhyped valuation, I see complete reason to be happy.
Actually he made a killing dumping a load of shares the moment it floated didn't he ?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 07:52 AM   #31
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I really don't think Zuckerberg is going to lose sleep over the current share price. After all, didn't he sell at $38 in the IPO? It's doubtful he had any plans to sell more shares so soon anyway.

Honestly, I'm almost positive that the price tumble was expected by Facebook & the banks involved with the IPO. They were pushing it with that price.

I do however, feel sorry for the people who thought that they were buying into the next Google and dumped massive amounts of money on the stock. Can't see them recovering anytime soon.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:54 AM   #32
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I do however, feel sorry for the people who thought that they were buying into the next Google and dumped massive amounts of money on the stock. Can't see them recovering anytime soon.
There appears to be far more than one born every minute.

Would be funnier, if it wasn't so crippling to some.

Last edited by iJohnHenry; Jun 2, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #33
xAnthony
macrumors 65816

Facebook shares are hitting a new low each day. Expect the trend to continue on Monday, and throughout the next week.
xAnthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #34
codo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAnthony View Post
Facebook shares are hitting a new low each day. Expect the trend to continue on Monday, and throughout the next week.
Do you think they are worth a buy at these 'new lows?'

Whilst over valued at IPO, the business is profitable and most likely will find ways to grow their ad revenue? I'm terrible at making these kinds of decisions, but I would like to grow my VERY limited stock portfolio.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:02 PM   #35
xAnthony
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo View Post

Whilst over valued at IPO, the business is profitable and most likely will find ways to grow their ad revenue? I'm terrible at making these kinds of decisions, but I would like to grow my VERY limited stock portfolio.
Definitely not. I could see this stock price dropping to around $15. I would stay away from this stock for a while.
xAnthony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:26 PM   #36
NathanCH
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to NathanCH
While Facebook continues to grow, the quality of the website has suffered over the past year and seemingly will continue to do so. Facebook has seen better days and I believe we're witnessing its slow demise now. Waiting for alternative however...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:44 PM   #37
iJohnHenry
Banned

I believe Alexander Graham Bell has that covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	341724  
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:20 PM   #38
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by codo View Post

I think that at pretty much any price north of around $10 per share, Facebook has to be considered a gamble.

A lot of FB's appeal to investors lies with its rapid growth in its user base. Its gotten very quickly to almost a billion users. The problem is that a) its already captured most of its potential users (ie. people with a computer and internet connection) and b) any future users it adds are more likely to be difficult to make a lot of money from. In other words, if Facebook signs up another 500 million users in developing countries like India and Brazil, its going to be difficult for them to sell ads for that audience.

The only way for FB to justify its lofty IPO valuation is if it can find some way of getting more revenue from its existing audience. Most people believe that selling more ads on each page is not really practical (at some point extra ads are going to turn people off.) So it comes down to using all the info it has on its users to sell ads in "innovative" ways. But even this has its downsides, as this user found out after making a joke about a product he saw on Amazon:

Quote:
On Valentine’s Day, Nick Bergus came across a link to an odd product on Amazon.com: a 55-gallon barrel of ... personal lubricant.

He found it irresistibly funny and, as one does in this age of instant sharing, he posted the link on Facebook, adding a comment: “For Valentine’s Day. And every day. For the rest of your life.”

Within days, friends of Mr. Bergus started seeing his post among the ads on Facebook pages, with his name and smiling mug shot. Facebook — or rather, one of its algorithms — had seen his post as an endorsement and transformed it into an advertisement, paid for by Amazon.
Stories like that make me very wary indeed about Facebook's prospects for turning into an earnings powerhouse like Google. (Granted, sometimes my browsing history does sometimes cause odd ads to appear on my screen. Some time last year Google's algorithms became convinced I was a wealthy, gay, retired investor - I'm none of the above.) But thats very different from somebody using my picture and info to turn me into an unpaid pitchman for a product and (worse) putting me ads for that product that are going to appear in front of everyone I know.
vrDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:14 PM   #39
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I really don't think Zuckerberg is going to lose sleep over the current share price. After all, didn't he sell at $38 in the IPO? It's doubtful he had any plans to sell more shares so soon anyway.
He sold 30,200,000 shares at a price of $37.58 for a cash out of $1,134,916,000 on May 22, 2012.

----------

Quote:
Definitely not. I could see this stock price dropping to around $15. I would stay away from this stock for a while.
I was originally thinking ~$24 prior to the IPO but the more research I do into it I am starting to think $12.50ish.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #40
poorracerkid
macrumors member

You got it
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:09 PM   #41
Thana6tos
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Ha ha haaaaa! Down to $29 now. I really hope they fall further and further.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18257043
We did NOT buy and was told NOT to but to wait for a year and THEN see what happens. Well, certainly not going to ever!! I hope it falls further as well like to $5.00 Facebook is great but not THAT great. It certainly gets boring and annoying to read silly updates...... who cares!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanCH View Post
While Facebook continues to grow, the quality of the website has suffered over the past year and seemingly will continue to do so. Facebook has seen better days and I believe we're witnessing its slow demise now. Waiting for alternative however...
AGREE! Completely.
Thana6tos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 09:58 AM   #42
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Facebook, the company, is not losing ANY sleep over its share price. They made around $16 billion dollars from this IPO.

That being said, I am happy I did some investigative work into the Facebook IPO before the shares were released. I did NOT buy into the IPO because of many concerns with the company. Ironically, this is why I also deleted my Facebook account...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 02:52 AM   #43
n8mac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Then buy some Jun12 or Jul12 puts. They are fairly cheap, even in the money. Dropping from the current $26 to $15 would be a nice return.
n8mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:36 AM   #44
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mac View Post
Then buy some Jun12 or Jul12 puts. They are fairly cheap, even in the money. Dropping from the current $26 to $15 would be a nice return.
Sell how, buy later.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:36 AM   #45
lannisters4life
macrumors 6502

They'll keep going down for a while, I think anyway. At some point they'll be worth buying. If some genius nutcracker can figure out how to make money out of the ridiculous amount of personal information Facebook's got on people, the company will explode. It's a gamble as to if/when that would happen.
lannisters4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:21 PM   #46
allmIne
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And that constitute a record of historical accuracy?

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, defending Zuckerberg, as I know nothing about him. I saw the film and am aware that it is not exactly a documentary.

He may well be the ******* you think he is, but that movie is not a citation of any value.
Sweet Jesus. Not only did the sarcasm - apparent in context and evidenced more clearly with a winky smiley face - pass right over your head, but you were upranked for your misunderstanding.

This place baffles me.

Anyway, far from a confirmed ass, Zuckerberg immediately offloaded an awful lot of the shares. Right before they fell. Not too shabby.
allmIne is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #47
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmIne View Post
Sweet Jesus. Not only did the sarcasm - apparent in context and evidenced more clearly with a winky smiley face - pass right over your head, but you were upranked for your misunderstanding.

This place baffles me.

Anyway, far from a confirmed ass, Zuckerberg immediately offloaded an awful lot of the shares. Right before they fell. Not too shabby.
I am well and properly chastised!

Never mock the afflicted...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:11 PM   #48
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
I am well and properly chastised!

You are well and properly chaste!

Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #49
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
You are well and properly chaste!

Jeez, iJohn, I asked you not to tell!!!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:22 PM   #50

Got on board cheap when I finally accepted Facebook is here to stay for many years just like google. Good for a perve but can't do it anymore now I'm in a relationship.
Likes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events