Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of me being able to get Apple to replace my faulty Seagate drive with a Fusion drive? Would it even fit?

Of course I'd be willing to pay the extra. I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded with their recalled HDD or had more knowledge than I of the iMac's internal real estate.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of me being able to get Apple to replace my faulty Seagate drive with a Fusion drive? Would it even fit?

Of course I'd be willing to pay the extra. I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded with their recalled HDD or had more knowledge than I of the iMac's internal real estate.

Most likely not. It's two separate drives and the SSD portion might even be soldered chips like in the Macbook Air. I doubt they'll be able or willing to do the install for you.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

If history is any judge....absolutely not. You can purchase a Fusion drive though and request an AASP to install it, they won't do it at Apple's expense and an Apple Store will not do this upgrade either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.