Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamieyasa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hey guys, I have an iPhone 5 64gb which I bought about 2 Months ago from London.. I live in Sri Lanka and theres no Apple stores here for me to take the phone to, so whatever help you guys can give me will be VERY MUCH Appreciated!

Here's my problem:

When I opened the box 2 months ago, and switchd it on for the first time it said I can update to iOS 6.0.1 and even before I used the phone I updated it.

And then I had no issues with Wifi..

But then recently when the iOS 6.0.2 update came and I updated it, whenever my phone is in the lock screen it disconnects from Wifi and uses 3G even when theres Wifi, and as soon as I unlock, it connects back onto Wifi about 2 Seconds later..I have noticed that this is eating up my standby battery life like theres no tomorrow..Even when its charging, its connected to 3G and not Wifi in the lock screen :/.. Note, that it automatically connects back onto Wifi after unlocking, I dont need to manually connect.. Its a waste of my battery life because theres Wifi at home and my phone just uses 3G and kills battery during standby for no reason..

Please help me. I need help because this is my first iDevice..

Thanks,

Jamie

Jamieyasa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Ok, thank you very much.. I will try that and keep you'll updated. BTW on the Apple Discussions Forum, one guy said that this is how the iPhone was intended to be? This is incorrect right?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It sounds normal. WiFi is normally preferred over cellular and it'll switch automatically as needed.

Poor wireless (WiFi or cellular) will suck the battery dry in no time as the radio will increase power to stay connected. If you're far from a cell tower your battery isn't going to last.

Jamieyasa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I've kept my phone next to my router just to check whether it disconnects due to poor wifi signal, but it still goes to 3G as soon as the phone is locked....

BTW, Is the DFU restore same as pressing the Restore button on iTunes when the iPhone is normally connected to iTunes?

Jamieyasa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Ok here's what happened. I got it into DFU mode and restored it, I first got it into recovery mode a few times and then eventually managed to get it into DFU mode.. Did the restore, then it asked whether I want to to restore from back up which I made just before getting it into DFU mode or whether I want to start off as a new iPhone.

I selected restore from backup.. The problem still seems to be there, but my battery seems to be pretty good.. Maybe it's a coincidence because just before all this I completely ran down the battery and charged it to 100%.. I hadn't done that in some time..

What I want to know if this is how the iPhone is supposed to be, or am I missing something?

Thanks

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
From what I've gathered, this is an issue with iOS 6.x.x for a number of users. I have the 4S, and have never had any issues with wifi under iOS 5.x.x. I have my wifi setup so that if I'm in my room, the router in there (router1) will be the router the iphone connects to. When I'm in the living room, the router in the living room (router2) would be the one the iPhone connects to. Ensuring that the wifi signal is always strong. Without making any modifications to the router settings, or the routers themselves (including location), since updating to iOS 6, router1 would always kick in as the default router, even when I was in the living room, 4 feet from router2. I would then manually select router2 under wifi settings on the iphone. But minutes later, it would go back to router1. Note router1 connection is very slow from the living room. This started becoming very frustrating for me, especially since I had to restore my phone twice, and re-input my settings (very inconvenient). Which didn't fix anything. So I finally just removed router1 from the wifi list on the iPhone. I now have to deal with a slow connection when I go to my room with router1. Really wish Apple can put out an update that didn't mess up phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.