Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Is this safe for iphone 5? it seems to get great reviews

I hope it is. I just ordered one. The reviews are incredibly positive and there are a ton of them I was surprised at the depth of technical detail in many of the reviews -- so that's how electrical engineers spend their free time.

After I get it and try it out I'll post here.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
As only one of the ports work for Apple products, you could as well get a regular charger. :rolleyes:

I know that the ports are labeled Apple and non Apple but I think it's only to indicate which port has the higher amperage. I'm planning to use it for either the iPad and iPhone or for both my husbands and my iPhones together. I also ordered this and will report back.

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I know that the ports are labeled Apple and non Apple but I think it's only to indicate which port has the higher amperage. I'm planning to use it for either the iPad and iPhone or for both my husbands and my iPhones together. I also ordered this and will report back.

No, it says that one port doesn't work for Apple products. It might work for an iPhone, but it charges half as fast as on the Apple charger or the other port.

Last edited:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
No, it says that one port doesn't work for Apple products. It might work for an iPhone, but it charges half as fast as on the Apple charger or the other port.

I received this charger and am charging both my iPad in the Apple port and the iPhone in the NA port. Both are charging but the iPad is charging very slowly.

Are there any wall chargers out there that actually pull in the 3.1 amps charge at the same time? Everyone I've seen says total of 2.1 amps at a time.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you really don't want to use two chargers, you might want to have a look at the GMYLE charger, which
41qm6pYb5zL._SS500_.jpg

Otherwise, you could make yourself a 2x10W charger by piggybacking a PlugBug on the iPad charger:
71DrCguLi6L._AA1500_.jpg

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
New Trent iCarrier First Look

I may have just set a record for the number of times "charge" appears in a sentence.

First impressions

Design is nice and clean. The matte black plastic exterior doesn't show fingerprints but I suspect is susceptible to scuffing. For an accessory like this, honestly, that's the least of my concerns.

Packaging is pretty standard, nothing to write home about.

Besides the battery, the package includes a wall plug, micro USB cord, a special USB male to male cord and a carrying case.

The USB male to male is specifically for Samsung Galaxy Tablets. Evidently you cannot plug the original Samsung USB cable directly into the New Trent.

As earlier said, the iPhone 5 lightning cable successfully drew a charge when plugged into the New Trent and iPhone 5. Likewise, an iPad 3 recognized the New Trent and accepted a charge with both an Apple 30-pin cable as well as a third party 30-pin.

The wall plug power supply is rated to accept 100 to 240 volts alternating between 50 and 60 hertz. That means if you are going abroad, you don't need a separate adapter, just a plug adapter which is a big plus. (Note: At least in Europe. I can't speak for the rest of the world but I suspect this covers the spectrum.)

Instruction manual is pretty sparse, mainly a series of pictograms.

That's about it for now. I'll post more after I've charged my phone and iPad.

Attachments

• New Trent 1.jpg
    New Trent 1.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Newe Trent 2.jpg
    Newe Trent 2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 152
  • New Trent 3.jpg
    New Trent 3.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 142
  • New Trent 4.jpg
    New Trent 4.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 140

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Impossible to tell just by looking at its specs. If it's properly made it's as safe as any other charger with similar specs. Keep in mind:
Two ports share 2.1A

Best bet is to use the Amazon reviews as a guide unless you can find more data to corroborate on this specific model. Not everyone's used every single charger out there and can provide first hand feedback.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I came to search on this exact unit.

The goal is to charge an iPad Mini and an iPhone 5 at the same time.

Any more input on this?

I use this to charge a iPad 3 and iPhone 5 at the same time. Works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.