Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm currently taking a summer course in Microeconomics, and I can't remember hating a class so badly at any other time in my life. I've been told it's how the teacher teaches it is what's really important, but I'm not sure. Our class grade average is 56%. I've been studying like crazy and get think I understand the topics, but come test grades, it turns out I only know about 70% of what I really though. It doesn't help the professor writes in accelerated english. Sometimes it's like trying to read a foreign language. I really need to pass this course though, so any help would be appreciated, whether it be websites, stories, posts, or whatever.

/rant over

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
What specifically are you struggling with? I agree though, I didn't enjoy microeconomics, much preferred macro!

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I have a degree in Economics and I can tell you that the early classes are difficult. It isn't until much later down to road that you can move on from all the assumptions you are forced to make and really develop new theory.

Given that, my advice would be not to "over-think" the questions on the exams - especially in intro micro courses. That is ultimately what messed me up....Follow the theory strictly and go with the conclusion it leads you to.

Hard to really offer up more advice than that with such a general post. I'd be happy to try and help if you had a more specific question. I will say there are some pretty good YouTube videos out there on the basics of Micro that walk you through the theory in a straightforward (IMHO) fashion. Sometimes looking at the problem from a slightly different angle makes all the difference.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
What specifically are you struggling with? I agree though, I hated microeconomics, much preferred macro!

Even I'm not entirely sure. The concepts themselves seem easy enough, but then the book/professor goes into detail on whatever concept and suddenly everything I thought I understood is wrong in some way. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things.

I have a degree in Economics and I can tell you that the early classes are difficult. It isn't until much later down to road that you can move on from all the assumptions you are forced to make and really develop new theory.

Given that, my advice would be not to "over-think" the questions on the exams - especially in intro micro courses. That is ultimately what messed me up....Follow the theory strictly and go with the conclusion it leads you to.

Hard to really offer up more advice than that with such a general post. I'd be happy to try and help if you had a more specific question. I will say there are some pretty good YouTube videos out there on the basics of Micro that walk you through the theory in a straightforward (IMHO) fashion. Sometimes looking at the problem from a slightly different angle makes all the difference.

Thank you very much. It feels sometimes as though I'm making things more complex than they really are, but who knows. I think my greatest hurdle is that I'm more of a visual learner, and the book spends a majority of the time explaining the concepts. The graphs are helpful, but there's a limited amount of them (note: this is an online course; should have mentioned it in my original post).

miki66

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
IL
i love economics both macro and micro. they're all very common sense.
advice...i'm sorry i guess if you really love something you'll be good at learning it; however i can suggest a book that i'm currently reading.

THE ECONOMIC NATURALIST by robert h. frank

you may probably heard about this book, too. :p it's an interesting yet learnable ourtside reading that can help you get to know basic econ concepts through everyday examples.

good luck on your class!

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i hope my teacher next year is good cuz im taking AP Microeconomics. for those not in the states, AP level courses are courses that are taken in highs school and when u get to college, can exempt because you already took it. so it is a college level course.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Hate to bump an old thread, but just wanted to report back. Ended up getting a B in the class. :) So for any of you who don't think you can do it, you can. Because if I can, anyone can.

Reactions: ktastic

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I enjoyed Econ. I found it to be fairly easy to grasp. But my Econ course focused on both micro and macro in probably fewer detail than your microecon class

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hated both economics and statistics. I had the same professor for both and he was great but what was presented was awful. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about those classes anymore.

bern1812

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
I didnt like micro when I had to take it simply because our professor loaded us up with busy online homework.

Most of micro is just finding the area of triangles, and subtracting those areas when you need to. On my first exam I drew really poor graphs that were too hard to read and resulted in me messing up the math. After that I took more care in making my graphs and my grade improved a lot.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
I liked Micro but not so much Macro. Professors were of about equal difficulty, so more so on the subjects.

I almost majored in economics, but I'm glad I didn't :)

Glad you pulled out a B.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Microeconomics is a bunch of pyscobabble nonsense. Fancy words that are made up to explain why people buy things. That was my general understanding of the class. Completely worthless crap.

Magie

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Microeconomics...Need Help...

Hello Guys! Does anyone of You know how to do this task? :confused: I have no idea what I can write about this in 500 words :(
I will be so grateful if someone helps me.. please

Labour force and production function...

A company’s labour force is composed of three categories. Firstly, there are unskilled workers, described with the symbol L1, displaying low productivity, employed at packing and loading the baked pies. Then, the firm employs skilled workers, described with the symbol L2, displaying high productivity, employed and the actual making of the pies. Finally, the business is managed by skilled administrative personnel, described with the symbol L3, displaying moderate productivity, employed at all kinds of administrative tasks. Below you will find three possible, logarithmic formulae of the company’s production function. Choose the right one and write an argumentation of
500 – 700 words, to justify your choice..:eek:

a)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b2>b3>b1>0

b)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b3>b2>b1>0

c)ln(Y)=ln(K^a )+ln(L1^b1 )+ln(L2^b2 )+ln(L3^b3 )+ln(A) a>0;b1>b2>b3>0

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Hello Guys! Does anyone of You know how to do this task? :confused: I have no idea what I can write about this in 500 words :(

A company’s labour force is composed of three categories. Firstly, there are unskilled workers, described with the symbol L1, displaying low productivity, employed at packing and loading the baked pies. Then, the firm employs skilled workers, described with the symbol L2, displaying high productivity, employed and the actual making of the pies. Finally, the business is managed by skilled administrative personnel, described with the symbol L3, displaying moderate productivity, employed at all kinds of administrative tasks. Below you will find three possible, logarithmic formulae of the company’s production function. Choose the right one and write an argumentation of
500 – 700 words, to justify your choice..:D

Not that hard. Look through your textbook. Search youtube for the function you are trying to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9ZHvciAwc

And if you keep saying to yourself that you hate it you wont even try.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Had a little bit of a hard time grasping what was being taught in my Econ 101 class my Freshman year, ended up with a D. But, found it fascinating so kept taking classes in Econ as electives and looking back on college, really wish I had majored in it.

Who had that slogan: "Once You Get It, You Get It?"

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia

Any illiterate person can also easily this question! Just kidding....it's all Greek to me.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012

500 – 700 words, to justify your choice..:eek:

The point is that L1 has low productivity, L3 has medium, L2 has high. So I'm guessing it must be a), but I've never taken micro ;)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I can say, I am taking a class for Economics for the non-financial manager and the book we are reading is horrible. From the layout to the tone of the authorm and the way he presents the topics and content. I have asked a few of the other students and they too are scratching their heads at this one.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I can say, I am taking a class for Economics for the non-financial manager and the book we are reading is horrible. From the layout to the tone of the authorm and the way he presents the topics and content. I have asked a few of the other students and they too are scratching their heads at this one.

Stick at it. After ECON 101, you'll never look at finance in quite the same way again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.