Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A third-party developer has released a new Mac app that allows control of Philips Hue light bulbs from a menulet in the Mac menu bar. Hue Menu, available on the Mac App Store, uses the Hue API to change the colors, brightness and more of Hue lights.

A year ago, Philips released its Hue iOS-controlled LED light bulbs exclusively on the Apple Store. More recently, the company released new LED 'LightStrips' and an accent lamp called 'Bloom'.

HueMenu.png
Hue Menu is a simple and delightful way to control your Philips Hue light bulbs right from your Mac's Menu Bar.

This 3rd party App is the best companion for your Philips Hue light bulbs striking the perfect balance between ease of use and powerful features, making it as delightful to use as the official iOS Apps
Hue Menu is available for $2.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Hue Menu' Controls Philips Hue Lights From the Mac Menu Bar

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I've been using this for a little while now, I love it. So convenient and I love that you can group multiple lights together to control them all at once rather than going on the iPhone/iPad apps to individually slide them.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Now all we need are brighter bulbs (75/100 watt equivalent options), and better security so anyone walking by with the app can't change your lights!

robodude666

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Just a BTW, Colors for Hue does basically the same thing but is free on the Mac App Store.

Does everything, except it doesn't have random modes, presets, or relax/energize modes Philips includes.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Now all we need are brighter bulbs (75/100 watt equivalent options), and better security so anyone walking by with the app can't change your lights!

agreed on the wattage.

as for security I think you're mistaken. I think any client must 1) be on your network, 2) have paired with your bridge.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't understand the need for this product....when would you ever need to turn your lights on through wifi?

Laziness. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to run downstairs to turn off a light I left on by mistake when I am comfy in bed. :)

NogbadTheBad

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I don't understand the need for this product....when would you ever need to turn your lights on through wifi?

It doesn't just turn your lights on & off.

Ever used f.lux ?

Looks like the latest beta of f.lux on Windows can dim your lights when its does your monitor, wish they'd hurry up with the Mac app.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

A possible use, though I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, setting timers, so you can simulate someone being home, ie turning the lights on and off at random intervals, when you're on vacation or away on a business trip.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

we use it daily. we set up several bulbs (strip lighting out now too) then defined several light "recipes" for mood or usage which alter the color hue and output brightness. "reading", "movies", "red", etc.. control them via ipad or iphone on the couch. it's great.

smarthome lighting for the everyman. (complainers dont like the hue's cost, but smarthome tools have historically been toys for the wealthy...this system is pretty approachable by anyone above modest means)

----------

A possible use, though I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, setting timers

timers are supposed in the hue software. as are geofences

slineaudi

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Just a BTW, Colors for Hue does basically the same thing but is free on the Mac App Store.

Does everything, except it doesn't have random modes, presets, or relax/energize modes Philips includes.

Not only that, but colors for hue has a allows you to dim or change the hue of all the bulbs in a group at the same time. Very cool. It can be finicky to get it to reconnect if you have to restore your base for whatever reason.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Couple of reasons:

- Handicap: My father is a 77 year old double leg amputee from diabetes [neglect], I installed these throughout my family's home which allows them to control lights he couldn't normally reach

- Deaf: IFTTT recipes allow for a myriad of actions, and some are coming around that may allow the deaf to be alerted if an alarm is sounded (fire or break-in)

- Geo-fencing: Turn lights on when arriving at home and soon lights will be able to track your presence through the device currently connected and controlling the system (walking through rooms turns lights on and off)

- Monitoring: Control lighting away from home, saves energy and possible burglary attempts

- Energy: LED lights last a long time and are much more energy efficient, unlike most LED lights these allow for warmer whites in addition to colors (I've had mine since day 1, not one needing replacing, however a friend busted his and Philips sent him a free replacement)

- IFTTT recipes allow for certain lights to activate based on changes in weather forecast, stocks, emails from specific people, alerts - just about anything.

- Recipes: Install and name each light, then create recipes. Recipes can be made as one touch macros, select which lights, their colors and brightness, then decide if the lights should turn on automatically at dusk/dawn, a set time, through geofencing, etc. and save. The recipes will be available across all iOS and OS X attached devices.

There's a lot more, but it goes well beyond a novelty. I also installed a second gen Nest for my parents' and my own 2 and 3 stage HVAC Trane systems, saved money/paid for itself while simplifying home energy control.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
There is another app in the app store called "Colors for Hue" It looks like it does the same thing? Except it's free..
I've not used either of them however..

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
There's a lot more, but it goes well beyond a novelty. I also installed a second gen Nest for my parents' and my own 2 and 3 stage HVAC Trane systems, saved money/paid for itself while simplifying home energy control.

I need one of those multi stage trane systems.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I need one of those multi stage trane systems.

Trane systems are excellent (Rheem, Ruud as well), though upfront costs are higher than most. In 2011, NYS had a rebate program for high SEER systems. Our 18 SEER Trane HVAC was ~$10k, minus $1500 from NYS and $1000 from the installers along with a free 50 gallon water tank (considered a tankless water heater, too new and expensive). R22 (Freon) AC systems are being phased out with environmentally friendly R410A, and noticed the cooling is much better.

~ 2 years later, now w/ a Nest 2.0, we can easily compare our monthly usage. The Nest already paid for itself, the Trane system has already saved us enough for ~60% of its cost and counting. Long term, best investment I've made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.