Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I installed Windows 7 SP1 (through bootcamp) on a hard drive (no partitions, no RAID, just a regular HD).

During the installation I removed all my other drives, including 2 HFS+ drives set-up as a software RAID0, and Windows installed correctly. It also works correctly. But as soon as I put my RAID0 drives back into the Mac, Windows crashes after 20 seconds.

Any ideas?

Loa

P.S. I repeat: Windows is on its own regular drive, and nothing Windows related is on my RAID0 drives. They're just data for the Mac side.

Last edited:
Reactions: thornslack

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Which bay did you put your Windows disk in? I had to put mine in Bay-1 to insure it would work with the other drives, something about max number of partitions.

There was a Apple Support bulletin regarding installing Windows in a Mac Pro with multiple disks. They mentioned something about a max of 4 partitions and to temporarily remove unnecessary disks until Windows was fully operational, then re-insert the disks. I think that was where I also saw the Bay-1 suggestion. It has been awhile since I read that Apple bulletin, but I am sure it is still in the Apple Support library.

Good luck...

-howard

PS. I also discovered I can't run the latest firmware upgrade CD from Crucial for my M4 SSDs. It is a Linux bootable CD (although the boot icon says Windows), and it is hanging with error messages that seem to be related to my RAID-0 SSDs located in the optical bay running off of the motherboard SATA ports. The previous firmware ran fine, but I didn't have the RAID-0 installed at that time. They are a bit more difficult to disable due to their location, but I will try that next. Possibly the same issue as with Windows.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hello,

I installed Windows 7 SP1 (through bootcamp) on a hard drive (no partitions, no RAID, just a regular HD).

During the installation I removed all my other drives, including 2 HFS+ drives set-up as a software RAID0, and Windows installed correctly. It also works correctly. But as soon as I put my RAID0 drives back into the Mac, Windows crashes after 20 seconds.

Any ideas?

Loa

P.S. I repeat: Windows is on its own regular drive, and nothing Windows related is on my RAID0 drives. They're just data for the Mac side.

The HFS driver that Boot Camp installs to read the OS X partition does not like it when it sees the RAID 0 volume under Windows and causes the STOP error. The only solution I am aware of is to boot in Safe Mode and uninstall the HFS+ driver. This will make all HFS+ partitions inaccessible, however.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
The HFS driver that Boot Camp installs to read the OS X partition does not like it when it sees the RAID 0 volume under Windows and causes the STOP error. The only solution I am aware of is to boot in Safe Mode and uninstall the HFS+ driver. This will make all HFS+ partitions inaccessible, however.

Making your HFS+ partitions inaccessible from Windows ... is a good thing, right? :D :D :D

Although, I have been running with a separate Windows SSD, a pair of OS X RAID-0 SSDs, and a pair of OS X RAID-0 hard disks for some time without any issues. I did not disable the HFS+ driver in Windows, but of course Windows can't see my OS X RAID disks.

Last edited:

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Making your HFS+ partitions inaccessible from Windows ... is a good thing, right? :D :D :D

Although, I have been running with a separate Windows SSD, a pair of OS X RAID-0 SSDs, and a pair of OS X RAID-0 hard disks for some time without any issues. I did not disable the HFS+ driver in Windows, but of course Windows can't see my OS X RAID disks.

What version of Boot Camp drivers and OS X are you running?

I agree that not seeing the HFS volumes in Windows is not a loss.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
What version of Boot Camp drivers and OS X are you running?

I agree that not seeing the HFS volumes in Windows is not a loss.

My OS X is 10.8.2 (public release, not the 2012 build shipping with Fusion Macs)

My Boot Camp drivers are I believe ver. 4 as recently downloaded from the current BootCamp app. Where can you see the version number?

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Tried to place the Windows drive in Bay 1, and the RAID0 drives in bays 3+4. Still crashes.

I need to load my HFS+ volumes to copy stuff from my "Mac" to my "PC": I want to download stuff (games, mostly) to my Mac to make sure I don't get "surprises" if I do it from the PC side. I still have an anti-virus on the PC side, but I want to prevent more than treat.

Loa

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Never been able to figure this one out; I've got two 1TB drives striped in a software RAID0 in bays 2 and 3 and have had BSODs with Bootcamp under both XP and Win7. Not really elegant, but I just remove both drives when I launch into Bootcamp via Bootchamp.

It's kind of odd but when I first installed XP via Bootcamp three years ago, I was using a version of Bootcamp 3 and XP, and at the time didn't have the RAID0. I wanted to access a few drives so I went and purchased MacDrive, which allows you to access Mac formatted drives under Windows. Fast forward a few months later, I installed the RAID0 under Mac OSX and nothing changed; However, once I updated Bootcamp, it completely set Windows XP off with BSODs and I deduced it was because Windows didn't like the software RAID0.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
These days, both operating systems themselves are pretty good at warding off threats, it is the applications and application programs that are most vulnerable.

So, wouldn't any "surprises" be imbedded within the downloaded game program, to spring into destructive action at execution? That threat would pass right through your Mac download, and transfer to your Windows environment.

If you really want a "buffer zone" between HFS+ and NTFS, you could create a small partition on some drive with a FAT or ExFat partition which would be accessible to both.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Run Windows in Safe Mode and disable drives that are in use by this array. You won't need them under Windows and it won't crash too.

Reactions: thornslack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.