Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
So I have just purchased a new mac, and have been downloading new apps to set my mac up.

I downloaded Skype and an app called VLC from the internet (not from the app store on my mac, because I couldn't find these apps on there for some reason)

Both Skype and VLC work perfectly, and are currently sitting my dock. However, I'd like to put the VLC app into launchpad so its out of the way with the rest of my apps. Iv'e tried dragging it from the dock and dropping it into the launchpad icon (also in the dock) but launchpad won't take it. It will take any other app when I do this though.

How can I move this app into launchpad?
And why are these apps (Skype and VLC) not in the app store on my mac?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Launchpad may already contain Skype and VLC. Have you tried the two-finger swipe gesture left or right on your trackpad or Magic Mouse? Do you see the dot at the bottom of Launchpad like you do on an iOS device that indicates there is another page of applications? If you have a folder in Launchpad, maybe it contains Skype or VLC? See if this article on Launchpad has any pointers.

As to why Skype and VLC aren't on the App Store, the software developers probably don't want to have to go through the hassle of Apple's approval process, and besides, they probably get some revenue of some sort for people directly downloading from their websites. App developers do not have to post their software on the App Store if they don't want to, but GateKeeper will warn you about any apps you have installed but haven't run that don't meet whatever is your preset security level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.