Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 14, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Limelight for iPhone Lets Users Catalog and Share Movie Choices

Limelight, from 9:42am, is a new iPhone app that is designed to allow users to create a comprehensive movie database filled with films that they have watched and films they want to watch in the future.

Unlike similar movie library apps like TodoMovies, Limelight focuses on social interactions, allowing users to follow one another to share movie recommendations among friends. It is similar to Goodreads, the social cataloging site that lets its users share book recommendations and reviews.

While Limelight does not support in-depth reviews, it does provide users with a 5-star rating for movies along with Rotten Tomatoes scores. It also offers movie trailers and pulls cast information from TheMovieDB.

In addition to showing movie choices from followed users, the app displays movies in categories like popular, upcoming (to be released), in the theater, and top rated. There is a curated Editor's Choice list filled with top movie picks to further facilitate content discovery.
Quote:
With Limelight, you can:
- Organize your entire movie library
- Keep track of movies you want to watch, and when they're released to theaters
- Follow your friends libraries, so you can always find something good to watch tonight
- Rate movies you've already seen. Let your friends know if you liked it or not!
- Browse thousands of movies. Find new movies to watch, and rekindle memories of ones you have already seen. You can get lost for days!
- Watch beautiful trailers in our custom video player designed specifically for movie trailers. Did we mention that you can use AirPlay, too?
Limelight is an iPhone-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Limelight for iPhone Lets Users Catalog and Share Movie Choices
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
henzpwnapple
macrumors member

Thumbs down

I am still negative on paying for social network apps - when at the same time one helping the company to build their user database for after reselling purposessss.
henzpwnapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
bommai
macrumors 6502

I have the app My Movie and like it for cataloging the 245 bluray disks that I have purchased. It allows me to use the iphone camera as a barcode scanner to scan my bluray Discs. Once in a while it crashes and for some movies if crashes all the time. That is why I gave this a try. Looks like it only keeps track of movies that you watch or want to watch. Not own. So I am disappointed.
bommai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmer View Post
I still can't believe Finding Dory wasn't an April Fools joke.
Pixar tends to shuffle movies that are still in the works around up until a year before their release. Finding Dory is far enough off that it may well be shuffled back several times until it emerges as something completely different from what we've heard so far (have we heard anything besides a title, yet?)

Personally, I'm more surprised that Ender's Game is finally happening... I've read over several of Card's old scripts for it and have been following the news about it for years and I'm surprised that it's finally going to be released. November 1st is going to be... either amazing or terrible... Ender's Game has been my absolute favorite book for so long... I feel like the trailer has prepared me a bit and properly calibrated my expectations...
Old May 15, 2013, 12:51 AM   #5
SunRiser
macrumors member

You should also try for free The Movie searchOmeter.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:27 AM   #6
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

So how do I get my app promoted on here?
prowlmedia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to 210 Send a message via AIM to 210 Send a message via MSN to 210 Send a message via Yahoo to 210
A Better Alternative

Or sign up to letterboxd.com

It's free, but there are paid options as well. You can write reviews, add star ratings, make lists, follow people, like their reviews, etc.

It's not an app, but there is mobile version of the site, so you can make a web app.

If you want to follow me, my username is anwarul210
Old May 15, 2013, 04:03 AM   #8
rdas7
macrumors regular

IMDB watchlist

IMDB has a watchlist now that you can access via the website or the app. Does the same thing... I wonder how this is different/better?
rdas7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 06:04 AM   #9
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas7 View Post
IMDB has a watchlist now that you can access via the website or the app. Does the same thing... I wonder how this is different/better?
Exactly.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzpwnapple View Post
I am still negative on paying for social network apps - when at the same time one helping the company to build their user database for after reselling purposessss.
Try my app TodoMovies, it is where limelight actually took their idea .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post
Exactly.
I built TodoMovies because I wanted to have an app just focused on Watchlists. I didn't want to dig around for buttons and options or required an account. Also, the IMDB app is ugly. Other features in my app that ain't in IMDB includes Bonus scenes support, photo galleries (this includes fan-made art...i.e wallpapers etc) and a kickass iTunes store integration. Not trying to brag or anything but there are a million reasons why someone would want to build an alternative to IMDB.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

I think what everyone is missing is that it also catalogs your existing library. My question is can I import my Delicious Library into it?
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:24 PM   #12
aalittle
macrumors newbie

a free alternative

Looks like Limelight is no longer. Might want to try MediaBox - nice thing is that media box is a todo list for *all* of your media, not just movies. List. Rate. Share. bitly.com/getmediabox
aalittle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion