Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
At the end of the day, though, you as a consumer get a far better deal by purchasing a Nexus 7 over an iPad Mini, because you get more tablet for your money. It's as simple as that.

Yes, it is, but you got it wrong. My criteria are different from yours, so for me, I got more tablet for my money with my mini. It's that simple, criteria are different, and not everyone has the same as yours.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Google's Nexus devices (and Amazon's Kindle tablets) are being sold dirt cheap specifically because they aim to make money from content rather than the tablet itself. Apple on the other hand aims to make its money from unit sales. So they have different business models, hence the different pricing.

At the end of the day, though, you as a consumer get a far better deal by purchasing a Nexus 7 over an iPad Mini, because you get more tablet for your money. It's as simple as that.

The OS is completely different. Maybe if you want to argue an ipad 3 or 4 versus a MINI, then that is more understandable.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The OS is completely different. Maybe if you want to argue an ipad 3 or 4 versus a MINI, then that is more understandable.

It seems fair game to me. Imagine I am in the market for a tablet. I have a choice between the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini. People compare them in real life, so why can't we do it here?

Of course, the OS matters. But, so does the ecosystem, your use case, your budget, your wants, your needs, and all sorts of other things come into play. I have known people who chose the Nexus 7, for example, because it is smaller. Or, because it has better screen resolution. Or, because it has better apps.

Anyhow, this thread isn't really about the Nexus 7 vs. the Mini. It is about (I guess) the imaginary number of 2 Minis sold for every 1 iPad. So, you are right to bring us back to the large iPod vs. the medium one (as I like to think about it), and to leave out the Nexus. For me, the iPad fits my use case perfectly, and the Mini is a very poor fit. But, for the little girl at the airport I saw last week playing games on the Mini, I'd say it was the perfect size. To each his or her own.

-------------------

[EDIT:] By the way, we now have some more numbers. It looks like iPad Mini sales are not quite as brisk as the OP suggested.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/29/will-the-ipad-blowout-this-holiday-season/

These are just guesstimates, of course, but I think the thing to note is that supplies were supposedly not meeting demand, but will in the next quarter, especially in China. And, interestingly, it is not a zero-sum game, but the tablet market continues to grow, so there is room for Apple to gobble up even more customers. I suspect they will need a full line of devices (small, medium, and large iPods) to cover the spectrum of users. I just wish they would beef up the small and medium specs...

Last edited:

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
But it doesn't have retina. But Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are cheaper (and the Fire has Dolby digital stereo speakers). iPad mini should be a dud, no? :D

Yeah, true, but it's Apple. It has the app store and a lot more things that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire just don't have, plus like I said it's Apple, It just works. I don't really care about looks but I would rather be using an iPad Mini in public than one of those other cheesy devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.