Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I failed to read it huh? Here's a quote:

Invention is not equal to innovation.

OK, you read it and quoted it, so the issue must be with comprehension.

Borrowing a quote from Tom Grasty: "'Invention' can be defined as the creation of a product or introduction of a process for the first time. 'Innovation,' on the other hand, occurs if someone improves on or makes a significant contribution to an existing product, process or service."

At the time the patent was filed, there was no existing process or product which allowed the use of NFMR to power or charge a plurality of devices with differing power requirements. It wasn't an improvement on an existing product or method, it was in fact novel.

As I said, I agree that Patently Apple was a bit overly exuberant in touting Apple as the great inventor here, but on the other hand, your argument is a bit pedantic. As NT1440 pointed out, the folks who founded WiTricity did not create coils, electricity or magnetism either.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
I like the Lightning. Plugs in either side, unlike mini and micro USB. No hooks or sharp edges to scratch your device. Third party ones cost $2-$3.

----------

Europe has the right idea requiring a common standard, kind of like how we all drive on the right side of the road here :)

Last I check, UK is still part of Europe and they drive on the left side. Unless you mean to say Continental Europe.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
When Apple was announcing their shift from the 30 pin dock connector to a new proprietary connector, I too gave the good old :rolleyes:

But when I started investigating and looking into what the Lightning connector can thoeretically do, I realize Apple have something very promising here.

I just wish the technology wouldn't be exclusive only to Apple.

A small, 9 pin port / plug that can in thoery change any of its pinouts to the device it's plugged into. Thats fantastic tech. You could have 1 port that can do a virtually unlimited amounts of uses. From Audio, video, USB, power, other 3rd party accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.