Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Looks like the demo is out. Anyone try it?

I'll take a look at it sometime when I'm bored, really do not have high hopes for this game...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tried the demo, wasn't impressed.

The Aliens jumping out the ice were really ropey looking, (I mean PS2 looking) and other than the quicktime events the whole thing lacked any drama or suspense what so ever.

Reading that they are putting big efforts into making the game a micro-transaction paradise also acts as a major disincentive to pick this up for me. The lacklustre demo just makes me think missing it would be no big deal.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, feels like how the Alien franchise changed in Aliens. I want to like it but it feels a little too Call of Duty/Battlefield.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Just played the demo...it's pretty sad, really. Dead Space was such a promising new franchise. :(

Walk a straight line, shoot dumb-looking aliens, rinse, repeat, now get into shoot-outs with soldiers (what?), oh, and here's "a giant drill trying to kill me, lolz". Really lame.

I'm sure there will be lots of impressive scripted set pieces, even bigger/louder monsters than before, awesome explosions, great one-liners and cussing and bantering, suspenseful quicktime events, and everything else the Dead Space franchise didn't need.

I'm just going to pretend they never made a sequel to Dead Space! :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just played the demo...it's pretty sad, really. Dead Space was such a promising new franchise. :(

Walk a straight line, shoot dumb-looking aliens, rinse, repeat, now get into shoot-outs with soldiers (what?), oh, and here's "a giant drill trying to kill me, lolz". Really lame.

I'm sure there will be lots of impressive scripted set pieces, even bigger/louder monsters than before, awesome explosions, great one-liners and cussing and bantering, suspenseful quicktime events, and everything else the Dead Space franchise didn't need.

I'm just going to pretend they never made a sequel to Dead Space! :D

Yep, exactly how I feel. They've turned it into every other generic action game, with absolutely no feeling of impeding peril anymore. It's just become awfully contrite.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Y'know, I guess my memory was wearing rose-colored glasses. Dead Space, while a very enjoyable game, wasn't the "survival horror classic" I remembered it to be. Dead Space 3 really doesn't pale as much now that I'm playing Dead Space again. All Dead Space 1 had going for it were the occasional whispers, and jump scares. I think that at the end of the day, the gameplay is similar between the three, I'm going to play DS3 on day one, mostly because I realize, it wasn't the "horror" or the gameplay that made me a fan, it was the story of Isaac, the Necromorphs and the Marker.

(BTW, I still love the anime Downfall as well)

Which is all in Dead Space as well. Hell, half of Hammond's dialog is the F-Bomb, and the banter between Kendra and Hammond gets really "action movie" really quick. Then there's the "wonderful" asteroid shooter mini-game about half way through the game.

In my opinion, having to face organized Unitarians (soldiers) in DS3 is a natural evolution of the story. I do agree that the runaway drill was a waste of my time (hell, the only fun part of that was leading Necros into the path of the drill) because of its ease to beat.

Dead Space has always been a "straight line" game, there was very little wandering involved. The story kept you on a straight line by conveniently locked doors and other obstructions.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Dead Space 3 will launch with 11 pieces of day one DLC available, offering services ranging from speeding up loot collection to new suits and weapons for Isaac.

According to Eurogamer, most of the purchasable upgrades tie into the game's crafting system, specifically the scavenger bots that you can use to salvage weapon parts and resources scattered around the game world. It's worth noting that these DLC bundles are separate from the micro-transactions in the game's weapon crafting system discovered last week.

Three packs were spotted on the US PlayStation store that'll allow you to soup-up your little helpers, each priced at $4.99. One will increase your bots' capacity, another will strengthen its personality and the final one will speed up its loot collection. Prices for Europe and Australasia haven't been unveiled yet.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/01/dead-space-3-has-11-pieces-of-day-one-dlc

Man, they're really going all the way with this! :eek:

Antares

macrumors 68000

I don't mind paying for the DLC as a shortcut for getting content immediately instead of having to play through the game and find the extra weapons and upgrades hidden throughout the game world. What I don't like is when the weapons and upgrades are only available if you pay for them, separately. It is also less fun.

Part of the fun in games is trying to find all the items that game designers cleverly hide. It gives incentive and rewards for exploring and replaying the game.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I don't mind paying for the DLC as a shortcut for getting content immediately instead of having to play through the game and find the extra weapons and upgrades hidden throughout the game world. What I don't like is when the weapons and upgrades are only available if you pay for them, separately. It is also less fun.

Part of the fun in games is trying to find all the items that game designers cleverly hide. It gives incentive and rewards for exploring and replaying the game.

I have to totally agree.

On a related note, I'm curious as to where they're hiding Peng this time.

Oh cool, so some of the DLCs are offering things that would only be available via preorder and special editions of the game. That's something that used to bother me, where I'd get one thing by buying through Amazon or GS, but my friends in the UK would get something cool (I'm looking at you Batman Beyond skin for the UK's Arkham City). So I'm glad that it'll make stuff more available.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
So far I'm into chapter 5, and it's pretty much Dead Space 1 all over again. Isaac on a bunch of closed in ships, jump scares, etc. I love the new crafting system, instead of conveniently laid out currency and stores.

I haven't done co-op yet, since it's completely optional.

After reading reviews, I will wait to pick this up for $10 and only if I have a friend to play coop with.

Sad to lose the horror aspect of the game.

It has the same horror elements as the first. Well, I take that back, it lacks the Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Reviews are kinda all over the place on this one...

I'm gonna hold off for now. I will likely give DS2 a third chance at some point, and if somehow, miraculously, I end up finishing it and then feel like continuing, I'll grab DS3 in the bargain bin.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So apparently there is a glitch that lets you harvest unlimited resources somewhere in chapter 8.

Interesting question: Will EA patch this because it is "costing them money"? :cool:

I really miss the days when developers would just build in cheat codes for unlimited lives/currency/ammo/whatever, leaving them for gamers to find or releasing them at some later time.

Nowadays they sell you those cheat codes for real money. :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah god those were the days were we would fumble on the games home screen with up, up, left,left, right,right,down,down,button 1,2, select & start :)

Now its $$$$ milking time... :(

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Was tempted to buy it but then I saw it required Origin. 1 + 2 are available on Steam though, so I may play through them.

Origin can seriously go to hell though.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Played the Demo the other day I thought it was ok I just hope it's as scary as the last 2 games, on another note I think a couple of days playing it and running around in the snowy environment might get a bit of a bore.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought it on PC. It's very cinematic. But not scary in the slightest.

Action screens and camera are great but not even remotely terrifying n the slightest.

It's like a sequel to an arthouse David Fincher movie that was dark and broody and got under your skin, but the new movie has been directed by Michael Bay. Long gone is the subtlety, the brooding atmosphere, the fear... In its place are action set pieces and non stop gung ho stages which entertaining in their own right never affect you the same way as the the more subtle original did.

So far I have found workbenches but can't seem to use them? But I'm very early into the game (just off the train)....

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I bought it on PC. It's very cinematic. But not scary in the slightest.

Action screens and camera are great but not even remotely terrifying n the slightest.

It's like a sequel to an arthouse David Fincher movie that was dark and broody and got under your skin, but the new movie has been directed by Michael Bay. Long gone is the subtlety, the brooding atmosphere, the fear... In its place are action set pieces and non stop gung ho stages which entertaining in their own right never affect you the same way as the the more subtle original did.

So far I have found workbenches but can't seem to use them? But I'm very early into the game (just off the train)....

Yeah, sadly as much as I love the Dead Space franchise, I never got where people said it was scary. The only time I was bothered by anything were the whispers in DS1. The whole franchise feels like Cameron's Aliens, and a lot less like Scott's Alien.

It takes a little while to get to working Benches. The middle part of the game (once you leave the colony you start on) it's a LOT like Dead Space 1, environment wise.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, sadly as much as I love the Dead Space franchise, I never got where people said it was scary. The only time I was bothered by anything were the whispers in DS1. The whole franchise feels like Cameron's Aliens, and a lot less like Scott's Alien.

It takes a little while to get to working Benches. The middle part of the game (once you leave the colony you start on) it's a LOT like Dead Space 1, environment wise.

Yeah I'm on them now, and yep the resources thing is a joke, it's clear you don't get enough resources to really invest any worthwhile time on the benches.

Also it seem ridiculous that we have no evolution of getting these resources (well apart from the bot) and your still stomping on every thing like a demented line dancer. The stomping is irritating after 30 minutes, after a few hours it's bloody excruciating...

I'm trying to do as many of the side missions, but the constant barrage of same enemies lacking any subtlety its just 'here we go again' is also quite annoying.

Looks great... But feels vacant of genuine substance to be memorable. A game I know i'll forget about as soon as it's over....

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah I'm on them now, and yep the resources thing is a joke, it's clear you don't get enough resources to really invest any worthwhile time on the benches.

Also it seem ridiculous that we have no evolution of getting these resources (well apart from the bot) and your still stomping on every thing like a demented line dancer. The stomping is irritating after 30 minutes, after a few hours it's bloody excruciating...

I'm trying to do as many of the side missions, but the constant barrage of same enemies lacking any subtlety its just 'here we go again' is also quite annoying.

Looks great... But feels vacant of genuine substance to be memorable. A game I know i'll forget about as soon as it's over....

Yeah. It's kinda sad, it's like Visceral shot their load with the first one. I'm hoping Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines will give me my horror game fix, because Resident Evil has died years ago, and Silent Hill is struggling to find its way. It's sad that I have to go back to stuff on my PS2 to get good horror (Rule of Rose, Silent Hill 2&3, etc).

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I love Dead Space.

If they made another game just like Dead Space, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Dead Space 3 was not that game. I didn't buy it. Voted with my wallet here.

Story Update: Studios are not confirming this report, calling it false. I guess we'll see. Don't really care too much one way or another...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.