Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

boingo.jpg
Hotspot Wi-Fi provider Boingo Wireless today updated its Boingo Wi-Finder iOS app, adding the ability to sign up for a Wi-Fi subscription within the app itself. Boingo, which operates more than 600,000 Wi-Fi hotspots around the world, offers connectivity to any Boingo hotspot for $7.99 per month.

With iTunes integration, signing up for mobile Wi-Fi using Boingo is a simpler task, requiring just a few taps. Previously, users were required to sign up for a Boingo account outside of the app. The purchase is billed as a subscription, which will continue on at $7.99 per month unless cancelled.
"Signing up for a Boingo subscription just became as easy as typing in your iTunes password," said Dawn Callahan, senior vice president of marketing and sales for Boingo Wireless. "iOS device owners already use their iTunes account to buy apps, music and other products on their phone or tablet; we're adding that level of simplicity to the process of buying Wi-Fi."
The in-app plan appears to be limited to the iPhone, the iPad, and the iPod touch, though the company also offers a similarly priced mobile plan on its website that supports any two mobile devices.

Boingo Wi-Finder is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Boingo Wi-Finder App Updated with In-App Payment Option

Kranchammer

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Kahleefornya
This actually makes me happy... I travel too infrequently to actively subscribe to a hotspot service, and one of the things that stops me from buying hotspot time ala carte when I am in a public place like an airport is that I really don't want to have to flash my CC in public.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Good move, though they should have done this ages ago. There's been a few times at airports or on holiday where I've considered using their hotspot, but couldn't be bothered to enter all my details. They would've had my money if I could sign in using my iTunes password, and will probably get my money in future now.

70% of something > 100% of nothing.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
This is actually cool news as I like to use the Boingo plan just when I travel overseas, but once you start a subscription with them online (an easy process), it requires a phone call with sometimes more than 30 minutes on hold to cancel the subscription once you're finished traveling (a hard process). And each time I want to resubscribe I've been forced to choose a new user ID as they permanently disable the cancelled account. With iTunes it should be much easier to manage.

I wonder if it will be possible to activate more than one device on the same subscription? Usually in app purchases are valid on all devices. Has anyone tried this? Even if they can't be simultaneously logged in, it would be a great deal....sometimes I like to use the iPhone and other times the iPad.

Edit: I just read the app description and it says it's possible to use the subscription on all of your devices.

----------

Good move, though they should have done this ages ago. There's been a few times at airports or on holiday where I've considered using their hotspot, but couldn't be bothered to enter all my details. They would've had my money if I could sign in using my iTunes password, and will probably get my money in future now.

70% of something > 100% of nothing.

Although the one downside is that you'll probably have to initiate the subscription when you have connectivity....unless they have some way to allow their app to contact the App Store when you aren't on an active connection. So it wouldn't be very handy for impulse subscribing.

Edit: also in the app description it confirms that wifi connection is necessary to initiate subscription. Seems like they could figure out a way to allow just the subscription process to occur....instead of contacting their server to verify account it could pass through to the iTunes Store.

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Amazed there still IS a Boingo in 2013.

Agreed there's not a huge need for it in the US, but it's great,when traveling overseas. Easy log in to most "local" pay wifi networks at prices that are usually less than those networks charge.

Tigs

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
Fon as an Alternative

Why don't you use FON its got 8 million Wi Fi spots world wide. Its free if you share some of your own home broadband - though you might need to buy one of it modems cost $50 if yours is not compatible. Fon.com and there is an App too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.