Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
So I'm on the fence in getting the $1000 Apple cinema display. I like the idea that it would act as a docking station for my MBA, but I dislike that it lacks a second input. I would like a monitor that would allow me to plug in my PS3 via HDMI and my MBA via DVI (through TB/MiniDP). That way I can just switch inputs if I want to go back and forth.

As such, I'm curious if people have seen any cool, high res pixel displays that an MBA drives well. I am willing to pay the top dollar, I just would rather have the convenience of input switching to drive both a PS3 and the MBA.

Thanks for any tips.

jayfire124

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
"and maybe a hdmi input" - he prays

Don't bother with the Thunderbolt Display until they fix the horrible blue tint and uneven colour. Let's hope that the new one is not only as thin as the current iMac, but that the 'whites' look 'white' as they do with a new 'out the box' iMac.

Come on Apple sort it out !!!!!!

jjblinky

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I like the Apple thunderbolt display but I couldn't justify the cost.

I use 23 inch Dell Ultrasharp monitors. I have 1 2312HM and 1 2311HM (the previous model).

The picture quality is excellent. The 2311HM has DVI-D and HDMI inputs, sadly the 2312 has no HDMI, but you could get a HDMI to DisplayPort convertor for your PS3. I live in the UK, they cost ~£140 each. Amazon.com are selling the 2312HM for $188. You could buy 2 for your Mac and decent HDMI TV for your PS3 and still have change over a single thunderbolt display.

Just a thought.

Alternatively wait for a retina thunderbolt display :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have to say that all the Ultrasharps I've seen have been excellent, and at a fraction of the ACD. I'm running a new 27"iMac now, but have been thinking about a multi-display setup. Here in the UK the Apple is £900:eek: `or $1348!

Okay, it has a few more features and a higher res. but the Ultrasharps can be had for around £375 if you shop around a little.....One heck of a difference.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you want a top-notch display, get a Dell UltraSharp U3014. Costs roughly as much as the Thunderbolt Display, is larger, has a higher resolution and a 16:10 aspect ratio, as well as 12-bit internal color processing and a 14-bit look-up table for more accurate colors. Plus the multiple inputs you've demanded and USB 3.0.
dell-u3014-1360625063.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.