Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #26
ineoxs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
I use Best Buy's warranty. It's $15 a month with unlimited replacements. You only pay for it while you use it so if you sell it in 10 months thats all you pay for. I broke the screen on my 64gb and they gave me a store credit gift card w $960 loaded on it to buy a brand new one.

AppleCare is a joke. $100 up front + $49 but they don't bother to tell you that even if you don't have AppleCare you can bring in a broken iPhone 5 they'll replace it for 199 or 149 for a 4S and lower. So if it breaks in the first year you save a whopping $50 and if it breaks in the second year you save $0. Only difference is if it never breaks your out $100. I bought AppleCare when it was 79.00 and didn't cover accidental damage and they denied it because the top liquid contact indicator had a "slight hugh" of pink even though my phone never touched water.

Might as well save the cash and use it if it actually breaks

----------

It's 199 to replace an iPhone 5 and 149 for a 4S or lower
How much is it for 64GB?
ineoxs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I use Best Buy's warranty. It's $15 a month with unlimited replacements. You only pay for it while you use it so if you sell it in 10 months thats all you pay for. I broke the screen on my 64gb and they gave me a store credit gift card w $960 loaded on it to buy a brand new one.

AppleCare is a joke. $100 up front + $49 but they don't bother to tell you that even if you don't have AppleCare you can bring in a broken iPhone 5 they'll replace it for 199 or 149 for a 4S and lower. So if it breaks in the first year you save a whopping $50 and if it breaks in the second year you save $0. Only difference is if it never breaks your out $100. I bought AppleCare when it was 79.00 and didn't cover accidental damage and they denied it because the top liquid contact indicator had a "slight hugh" of pink even though my phone never touched water.

----------

Your numbers are off. $229 for iP5 replacement out of warranty. So you break your phone twice out of warranty you pay about $460. With AppleCare+ you pay about $200. Huge savings. By nature all insurance plans are built to make the company money. They are hoping that you don't break it.

It totally up to you. I normally don't buy any type of insurance because it always seems like a waste of money but decided to this time around.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:46 PM   #28
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

might just call apple and do the 150 replacement brand new iphone 4 and worrry about iphone 5 later.

When I turn it on how do I wipe the drive? Obviously I have personal info, emails, icloud, etc that I would want to be sure the next owner did not have access to. Just do a standard reset?
AMDGAMER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:17 AM   #29
Adonnan
macrumors newbie

Check with your VISA or AMEX to see if they double the warranty to two-years time at no cost to you.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #30
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

I'm confused, you said apple care is a joke.... But it doesn't seem your numbers are right.

First, even if out of warranty is $200 (even though i thought it was $229), it's $50 savings for the first claim if you have apple care. If you were to make a second claim, you're actually saving $200 since apple care + two claims is $200, and two oow would be $400 (or $458 if its $229). That's a pretty big cost savings. Also, if you have manufacturer defects in the second year, apple will continue to do free replacements within that second year.

Second, seeing that apple care costs a max of $200 with two claims, not including savings in the second year if you have manufacturers defects, In 13.5 months, you've surpassed $200 in costs using your best buy plan for $15 a month. After that, it's all extra cost. Apple care, in my opinion, is a much better option...
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:17 PM   #31
Agile55
macrumors member

Additional Questions re. AppleCare+ on a Wal-Mart Purchase

What's the consensus on Applcare+ for a 16g iPhone5 bought NIB @ WalMart for $127.
It was a gift today for my 23yro undergrad son who has an MBPro + we are life long Mac folks.

It should be factored in it would need to be shipped back to Apple w/ the nearest store 180 miles away.
Any ideas on the type of shipping or their turnaround times? Back to the original question on AppleCare+ so .........

Last edited by Agile55; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Agile55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Mrg02d
Banned

Shipping for my iPad was all done overnight for free and that was just regular warranty work, no AppleCare.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:57 AM   #33
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Shipping for my iPad was all done overnight for free and that was just regular warranty work, no AppleCare.
That won't happen after 1 year or with a broken tablet

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone