Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Is it possible, to restart the computer, and then reset the lid closed/open sensor, without opening the lid? I have a custom external isight that I use with my MacBook Air, and when I restart I have to open the lid, which is in a bag, wearable computer, then close the lid back the way it should be. InsomniaX tricks the lid closed sensor so the built-in isight camera works, and it lasts for as long as that session is running. But if I restart I have to disassemble everything just to open the lid and close it again. :( bummer. Just wondering if there was a way to type a command line and reset the lid closed sensor, as if I actually opened the lid for a second.

Thanks anyone.

Basically, InsominaX keeps lid sensor tricked after I open the lid and close the lid. The MacBook Air I am using is all packed up in a bag. If I restart I have open the bag take everything out and open the lid till Apple Logo lights up then close the lid and pack everything back up. Everytime I restart. Just want a way to trick the macbook into thinking I have opened and closed the lid for that moment.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's a bad idea to operate a Mac notebook while it's in a bag. Doing so inhibits ventilation and can cause heat issues.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
That's what you told me...

That's what someone said like 7 years ago :)

I have CPU safety on with InsomiaX

just a note...

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
sounds like your external isight is not compatible with your system.
either adjust settings with the application to use a different webcam or find a compatible isight like camera...is there a purpose to using an external one vs the built in?

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Basically 2 Built-in iSights

What I did, was mod an actual MacBook Built-in iSight, taken from a MacBook display, and turned it into a USB cabled Camera. The only problem is that when plugged in the Mac thinks it has 2 Built-in iSights.

So, when I close the lid, the Built-in iSight #1, is turned off. In addition the Built-in iSight #2 is turned off :( Bummer, cause the mac doesn't know that it's actually sitting outside the case, connected to my Heads Up Display. The reason is because the iSight camera included in MacBooks has a really great low-latency response time, its' sick, and to add to that it's 720p. I can't find that in any USB camera, that are microchip size.

BUt anyway, yeah with InsomniaX you can disable the lid closed sensor, which allows the Built-in iSights to work. The only problem is, when I restart the computer, unless the lid gets opened at least one time, to reset the sensor, the camera are dead, after a restart. :( bummers for me.

I just want someway to say "Hey the lid is opened"...

Laters...

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
take out the magnets in the top casing . or get a polarizer that will essentially make the magnets not send the signal to the system that its in sleep mode

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I reconfigured my pack

I reconfigured my pack, now I can just open the lid in an emergency. I guess it's not that bad. I wont restart but maybe once or twice if that I suppose.

THanks for the advice, surely.

EOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.