Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thatguy120191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I have a sprint iPhone 5 if I get it unlock will I be able to use it on Verizon and if so will the LTE work for Verizon

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Verizon only lets you use their iPhone on their network, so it won't work, even though its physically the same model. You could use an the unlocked phone on AT&T or T-Mobile, but wouldn't be able to se LTE on either.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Pretty sure (but dont quote me) that all iPhone 5s are unlocked as standard, wherever you get them from....

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Pretty sure (but dont quote me) that all iPhone 5s are unlocked as standard, wherever you get them from....

Not true. The Verizon iPhone comes unlocked and the Unlocked iPhone 5 does. The AT&T and Sprint ones are carrier locked. In addition, there are some added complexities of switching between carriers even with an unlocked iPhone 5.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Ahh thats because I live in the UK soz :)

Yeah, things in the US are complicated because we have 2 of the big networks still using CDMA for their 3G voice and data combined with GSM 4G LTE. On top of that the LTE runs on different frequencies for different networks so the iPhone 5 comes in 2 different antenna configurations.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
So if sprint unlocks it will it work on Verizon ?

Verizon only lets you use their iPhone on their network, so it won't work, even though its physically the same model. You could use an unlocked Sprint iPhone on AT&T or T-Mobile, but wouldn't be able to use LTE on either.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

That is very false.

So if sprint unlocks it will it work on Verizon ?

No.
If sprint unlocks it you can use it on any gsm carrier outside the US only.
It will not work with any other us carrier even if unlocked.

You could use an unlocked Sprint iPhone on AT&T or T-Mobile, but wouldn't be able to use LTE on either.

That is also false.
This thread is full of false assumptions:)

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I think Sprint's nomenclature messed me up. If they allow international SIMs but block US GSM SIMs then that should have a different name like International. Unlocked really means that no SIM is blocked.

milesjohnson

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
i need help to but didnt want to make a new thread. totally off topic but if someone could help it would be nice.

someone offered to trade me their black iphone 5 for my white iphone. they said that the volume down button does not work but it is under warranty. how can i confirm this? if i were to take it into the apple store could i have it replaced right there? what information would need to be given

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
i need help to but didnt want to make a new thread. totally off topic but if someone could help it would be nice.

someone offered to trade me their black iphone 5 for my white iphone. they said that the volume down button does not work but it is under warranty. how can i confirm this? if i were to take it into the apple store could i have it replaced right there? what information would need to be given

If its still under warranty why wouldn't he have swapped it already?
I'd be careful. It might have liquid damage or other issues.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.