Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Ok so here's the skinny.....I currently use my Receiver with built in AirPlay to stream my iTunes library to it (mostly ripped in Apple Lossless). I'm going to get a NAS drive, and hookup to my network. I'm doing this to put my iTunes library on it. I'm going to get some awesome speakers and I don't want to lost audio quality / fidelity from steaming, as my iMac is wireless.

So here's my hang up...right now I can't help but think if I just do it this way, it's gonna go like this:
NAS drive > computer (wireless) > receiver. Which will lose quality right?

What I'd like is to be able to go:
NAS drive > receiver

Here's the thing, I'd still like to use the Apple Remote App for my iOS devices to control the music, or a similar app.

Is there another device anyone recommends I can use to achieve this?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
NAS drive > receiver

Don't think so.

iTunes has to be running *somewhere." I don't think there is any NAS out there with a built-in iTunes server, or any receiver with such intelligence.

If WIFI bothers you, can't you just hardwire the iMac and the receiver?

Another option is, bypass iTunes altogether, buy a NAS with a built-in DLNA server, some receiver will have DLNA connectivity but am not sure whether u can control them via IOS, or do I know what the interface looks like, and/or easy/hard to use.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Synology and Thecus have had iTunes servers built-in for years...along with several other NAS brands. The harder part is most receivers don't understand a raw iTunes network stream

dcweber

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Going with Sonos Connect

Thanks to
Marlboro for suggesting Sonos. Exactly what I was looking for.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Yes, some of the NASs have "iTunes Server" built in, which work great with audio. It's only video that you have to find alternate methods for.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
actually i purchased another apple tv this week, and have all my video and music content on my Synology NAS

By using DS Video and DS audio apps, i can use my android (ios as well) phone to browse collection then send to receiver via apple tv.

If no ATV then as long as the receiver can use DLNA the synology also works out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.