Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I suspect the answer to this is "you can't (and expect Apple to approve it)" but I thought I'd ask anyways, just incase someone actually has an answer:

How do you make a custom keyboard with the look & feel of the standard keyboard?

It'd be nice if there was some easy way to have a custom keyboard automatically match:
- The background of the standard keyboard
- The background of the standard keys
- The press & hold behavior for standard keys (IE, tapping and holding on the "$" key will reveal "¢" and a few other currency symbols.)

I ask because I'm planning on making an app where it's going to swap back and forth between several custom keyboards and the standard keyboard based on context... I'd like to make my app future-proof, if possible, so that all my custom keyboards will automatically match the style of the standard keyboard if Apple ever changes it in a future update to iOS.

Edit: If no one has a good answer... Is there some way I could implement a solution and then sell it?

Last edited:

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Out of curiosity, were you planning on implementing all of the keyboards for all of the foreign languages that iOS supports?

IMO, no one will pay for code for a duplicate of the standard keyboard.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Out of curiosity, were you planning on implementing all of the keyboards for all of the foreign languages that iOS supports?

IMO, no one will pay for code for a duplicate of the standard keyboard.

I think you misunderstand. I want the ability to display a keyboard that looks and feels like the standard keyboard(s) but has keys specific for my app.

IE, my app requires users to enter numbers frequently, so I want to add a row of numbers above the standard keys that look like they belong there and not like they were hacked in. They should have the same gradient, font, and popup behavior when they're tapped as all the alphabet keys.

(There are also many context dependent keys, so I'm making my keyboard class able to add and remove/hide/doable keys easily... Or add in "subkey"s easily, IE, like the fact that if you tap and hold the 'A', options like 'À' will appear.)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Why not just use an AccessoryView to add an additional number row when relevant?

It's ugly + most of the alphabet is irrelevant most of the time in my app... So I want the entire keyboard to be easily customizable.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
You are just asking for a lot of work for yourself. You can do it, but you used the word easy. I do not know any easy on this.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/StringsTextFonts/Conceptual/TextAndWebiPhoneOS/InputViews/InputViews.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009542-CH12-SW1

Right. I know it's not easy right now. That's why I'm in the process of writing a library right now that makes it easy to create a custom keyboard that looks and feels like Apple included it as a standard keyboard in iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.