Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Sorry about the duplicate question..
I did check other thread about it, but i have a question ..

i am new MAC user, just got my 27" imac, i have installed VM for windows ( for some office work apps )

my question is how everybody manages their video files ?

i have all kind of vedio files ( from torrent / DVD rips / camcorder clips / iphone video files ..and many more.... )

i have also known about "Handbreak" and i am planning to use that...

But , if i use that, which is the best format ??? .mp4 ?
i wanted to make sure, that by converting to other video files using Handbrek...will that improve the quality ?? ir it will be as good as my original files atlest ???

please help...:confused:

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I use VLC player on my MacBook to play most video files. I also use Handbreak for ripping dvd's and converting video files if needed.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
But , if i use that, which is the best format ??? .mp4 ?
As with any question of best it's subjective. What are your goals? What are you going to view these videos on? If one format was universally best then no one would ever use any of the other formats out there.

i wanted to make sure, that by converting to other video files using Handbrek...will that improve the quality ??
No. You can't get better quality than what you start with. That isn't specific to Handbrake. It applies to video in general. Garbage in, garbage out.
ir it will be as good as my original files atlest ???
Could be the same. Could be worse. It all depends on the encoding settings.

Try using VLC first. You might not need to do any conversion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.