Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleaddiction

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Holy cow, that guys prices are off the chain!

I went for this MCE (really an LG) model for $99 It works great.

The drive you a referencing would only work with the new Mac Pro if you bought an external enclosure/used a sata to USB adapter. The external enclosure/adapter would increase the cost, not to mention requiring an additional cable for power.

The one I'm selling is only $10 more than the bus powered one MCE offers (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...OD&Product_Code=BD6XSLU2&Category_Code=STORBD).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The drive you a referencing would only work with the new Mac Pro if you bought an external enclosure/used a sata to USB adapter. The external enclosure/adapter would increase the cost, not to mention requiring an additional cable for power.

The one I'm selling is only $10 more than the bus powered one MCE offers (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...OD&Product_Code=BD6XSLU2&Category_Code=STORBD).

I wasn't referring to YOUR product anyway. The site I looked at had the drives for several hundred dollars.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I reference the VLC hack for free playback, and I'm trying to work out a deal with these guys --> http://www.macblurayplayer.com/ for enhanced playback capabilities.

About the GoMac Bluray player, I had a problem with their player when suddenly it could not play blu rays saved to the hard drive. The player used to play saved Blu Ray files. Contacted their support team and they never replied to my problem. Not too good support service.

appleaddiction

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
About the GoMac Bluray player, I had a problem with their player when suddenly it could not play blu rays saved to the hard drive. The player used to play saved Blu Ray files. Contacted their support team and they never replied to my problem. Not too good support service.

Thanks for the heads up Macsonic. They haven't replied to my emails either :(

Hopefully a new version/update will be released soon. I'm pretty sure this is their very first version

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I highly.....

doubt we can see Blu-ray support any time soon in Apple hardware. Mr. Phil Schiller had said "people dont want/need Blu-ray drives". So, given the hierarchy of Mr. Schiller in Apple ranks, is doubtful....but Apple had proven itself wrong some times, so....

:):apple:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Blu-ray support is already there and has been for a long time. Plug a BD drive in, and the drivers for it are already there. Furthermore, Finder can read the content and file structure of unencrypted discs, and can burn files to a BD-R disc.

Third party software is required to burn BD-R video discs and to play back encrypted discs.

This is actually very similar to Windows support.

phillyboy82

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Not from Philly
Quite the thread bump there :)

I have an LG WH16NS40 coming this week that I am going to put in a Mac Pro. I am hoping for plug and play with it.

I more want the M-DISC support than any blu ray movie playback so I just got the bare drive and no software.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Can you tell what the actual LG model is?

Thanks.

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40:

Firmware Revision: 1.00

Interconnect: ATAPI / SATA

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 4064 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

BD-Write: -R, -RE

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks! I had a good experience with replacing my primary optical drive with an ASUS and was considering doing the same for my current BD drive but I am not reading good things about the ASUS BD burners. LG is looking better.

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40:

Firmware Revision: 1.00

Interconnect: ATAPI / SATA

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 4064 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

BD-Write: -R, -RE

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
Got the BH16NS40 working perfectly burning plenty of m-discs. However, it says "burn support unsupported" under disc utility but I guess that's just an Apple formality?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Interesting.

If I am not mistaken, the WH16NS40 is the OEM version of the BH16NS40. I've got my cart filled with the WH16NS40 right now. I believe 16x is the fastest BD write speed I have seen thus far.

Got the BH16NS40 working perfectly burning plenty of m-discs. However, it says "burn support unsupported" under disc utility but I guess that's just an Apple formality?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.