Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:45 PM   #51
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

I'm in the middle of an Image Retention issue... still have the original machine and deciding what to do. Looks like I will have a talk with Apple. Either way, I will get my difference back. Return this one, and buy a new one, or exchange this one for a new one and get a credit - it's up to them.
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:32 AM   #52
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

Just spoke to my rep at Apple. This is a great example of why you should always try to buy directly from Apple and not a reseller.

They refunded me the difference because I was within 14 days of the price change (it's within 14 days after you received your product, please check the T&C of your particular country)

And, they recommended to me that I take a replacement since I have seen IR.

So I not only have a new machine coming, but also a nice refund. So while LG sucks, Apple rocks. Can you imagine this with Sony or some other brand?
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:06 AM   #53
The Norseman
macrumors newbie

WOW, thanks so much for the heads up on this thread. I ordered a 27" imac with the 768 flash storage at the end of January, and it's still in processing mode. I called Apple today, and got a $469 refund. Without this thread, I never would have known. Thanks.
The Norseman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #54
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Wow, good news for new iMac buyes. If you got the money, I would definately get the SSD-only option.
No hard feelings here (early iMac late 2012 buyer here). I couldn't imagine waiting 3 months extra just to save a few hundred bucks...
Mac32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:02 AM   #55
heinzgruber
macrumors newbie

ordered in dec 2012 and get the imac end of january 2013.
called apple end of feb. and now i get 100 (130 us-dollar) back
heinzgruber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:06 AM   #56
Bemidjiboy
macrumors newbie

How long till fusion is gone, then?

So, what I wonder is this: how long until the HDD disappears completely from the lineup? Seems likely that the Fusion is the transition to all flash drives, eh? I can imagine the price dropping like a rock over the next year. To wait or not to wait...
Bemidjiboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #57
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemidjiboy View Post
So, what I wonder is this: how long until the HDD disappears completely from the lineup? Seems likely that the Fusion is the transition to all flash drives, eh? I can imagine the price dropping like a rock over the next year. To wait or not to wait...
500GB and 1TB SSDs that are affordable are on the horizon; 3TB SSDs are another story. I think the FusionDrive technology has more than a year left; as a matter of fact, just because you can get an affordable 500GB SSD, why WOULDN'T you want to "fuse it" with a 3TB HDD?

For many, a 500GB or 1TB SSD may be all that they ever need; heck, there are quite a few folks who are good with a 256GB SSD on a MBA and never need an external drive. However, for the person who has a good-sized iTunes library, Aperture library, and a bunch of games, the FD technology is great. It allows you great speed plus large storage.
Nikon D300 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VR / Sigma 10-20mm
Mike in Kansas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:22 AM   #58
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzgruber View Post
ordered in dec 2012 and get the imac end of january 2013.
called apple end of feb. and now i get 100 (130 us-dollar) back
I guess it depends on who you talk to. They told me no such credit for my similar timed order. Oh well . . . .
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #59
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Kansas View Post
as a matter of fact, just because you can get an affordable 500GB SSD, why WOULDN'T you want to "fuse it" with a 3TB HDD?
I would speculate that most people who are buying the current large SSD option (768 GB)... have a need to control location of some data. That indicate (to me) that creation of a FD of such a setup would be very undesirable.

I am being careful to try to not let my personal usage dictate my recommendation. However... I have a 768GB SSD + 8TB Tunderbolt Pegasus array. A spectacular combination that allows me to have screaming fast data on the SSD + very fast bulk data on the Pegasus.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:13 PM   #60
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I would speculate that most people who are buying the current large SSD option (768 GB)... have a need to control location of some data. That indicate (to me) that creation of a FD of such a setup would be very undesirable.

I am being careful to try to not let my personal usage dictate my recommendation. However... I have a 768GB SSD + 8TB Tunderbolt Pegasus array. A spectacular combination that allows me to have screaming fast data on the SSD + very fast bulk data on the Pegasus.

/Jim
that is the setup i wanted but ended up with 1tb fusion
still looking into getting a pegasus
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:12 PM   #61
Krrrt
macrumors newbie

SSD 768Go apple is fast like crucial M4 ?
Krrrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:22 PM   #62
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrrt View Post
SSD 768Go apple is fast like crucial M4 ?
Faster. They're Read/Writes both hover around 500mb/s
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac