Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:14 AM   #276
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a
 
szw-mapple fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Copying? Creating an app with similar features you mean. So what trademark/patent laws have they broken that would warrant them being taken to court?

Thats like Visa taking Mastercard to court for creating a card that allows you to pay for purchases!
oh please. just look at the way samsung has operated ever since the first iPhone was rumored. this is a morale rather than a legal problem.
szw-mapple fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:36 AM   #277
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a
 
szw-mapple fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC12309 View Post
You people are so funny. I'm pretty sure Google Wallet was first before Passbook. Also better. So shut up about copying. Apple copies just as much.
Google Wallet? Did anyone actually use that thing?
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:28 AM   #278
dBeats
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E. Schmidt View Post
dec 13 2013 is a friday.

Image
lol Nice.
dBeats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #279
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
Remember the google phone prototype from before the iPhone was announced? It just looked like an BlackBerry phone:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1037_3-6230132.html

The touchscreen and UI design changed after the iPhone was announced to be more closely to the iPhone than blackberry ... but again, this is apparently the natural evolution and has nothing to do with copying.

(couldn't find the original pictures, but there were more from way before the iPhone)
Actually that was one out of two prototypes they had. Android was going to launch in a variety of form factors. The 2nd prototype that co-existed with the Blackberry look-a-like looked like this.



Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
Google Wallet? Did anyone actually use that thing?
What is it with this place and the notion that if Apple takes something that already exists and improves it, it means Apple invented the idea in the first place. This type of thing has existed before, I will admit that they seem to have copied the icon.
__________________
Worth the weight
Dr McKay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:49 PM   #280
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Actually that was one out of two prototypes they had. Android was going to launch in a variety of form factors. The 2nd prototype that co-existed with the Blackberry look-a-like looked like this.
Which probably had a nice little scroll wheel below the screen and other navigational buttons that aren't shown in the photo.

Why are people so loath to admit that Apple turned the whole smartphone paradigm on its head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
What is it with this place and the notion that if Apple takes something that already exists and improves it, it means Apple invented the idea in the first place. This type of thing has existed before, I will admit that they seem to have copied the icon.
I rarely see people claim that Apple "invented" a particular concept - rather that their innovative new implementation of that concept has been shamelessly aped by a competitor.

Samsung's Wallet app is not embarrassing because Apple already had Passbook. Wallet is embarrassing because it looks almost exactly like Passbook. (Hence this entire thread.)

And not just the icon.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:57 PM   #281
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Which probably had a nice little scroll wheel below the screen and other navigational buttons that aren't shown in the photo.

Why are people so loath to admit that Apple turned the whole smartphone paradigm on its head?
Im pointing out that Android wasn't just that Blackberry Clone before the iPhone, it was that touchscreen device too. Smartphones were heading that way, Apple just sped things up.

Got anything better than "Oh it probably had all these things that I have no proof of? Who cares if it has Navigation buttons? Android handsets still ship with a Home and back button, sometimes a dedicated settings button.

You know how convenient a back button is? It makes navigating so much easier, no more having to rely on App developers putting a back button into the app and guessing where it might be, Apple still has a home button so they clearly think navigation buttons are needed.
__________________
Worth the weight
Dr McKay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:04 PM   #282
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Smartphones were heading that way, Apple just sped things up.
Yes. Everything Apple does would have happened on its own eventually, so they don't really deserve any credit. We've all heard that one a million times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
You know how convenient a back button is?
Based on many reviews excoriating its inconsistent implementation in Android, apparently not very convenient.

I personally have never missed a back button on my iPhone/iPad.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:34 PM   #283
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Yes. Everything Apple does would have happened on its own eventually, so they don't really deserve any credit. We've all heard that one a million times.



Based on many reviews excoriating its inconsistent implementation in Android, apparently not very convenient.

I personally have never missed a back button on my iPhone/iPad.
I never said they didn't deserve any credit, however they don't deserve the kind of credit that certain people on here are heaping on them,

The way people on here are acting you'd think we'd still be using phones like this without Apple.



At least on Android the back button is always at the bottom, generally manufacturers will put the back button on the left side too (with the exception of Samsung). On iOS it can be on the bottom, or on the top, or either side. Wherever the developer wants it.

On lots of apps you find yourselves in a position where you can't step back in the app to where you were, you have to quit it, remove the app from background processes and restart it. On Android you always have that option of stepping back.
__________________
Worth the weight
Dr McKay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #284
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
On Android you always have that option of stepping back.
Too bad you can never be sure exactly where you're stepping back to:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09...about-android/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
The way people on here are acting you'd think we'd still be using phones like this without Apple.
Yes, because Samsung can't be bothered to come up with their own software designs everyone is arguing that without Apple we'd still be using monochromatic dumbphones.

Wait...what?
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:02 PM   #285
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Too bad you can never be sure exactly where you're stepping back to:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09...about-android/

----------



Yes, because Samsung can't be bothered to come up with their own software designs everyone is arguing that without Apple we'd still be using monochromatic dumbphones.

Wait...what?
For the most part the back button works, and works well. And I'm not talking about this article, Im referring to earlier comments about only picking out a single Android prototype, and people trying to assert that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone, or that the iPhone revolutionized the way a smartphone was. When presented with evidence they simply dismiss it or claim that because Apples implementation was better so it means Apple did it first.

You know I was referring to those comments, pretty much all you've done is change the subject or run off on a tangent.

All I did earlier was point out that the Android prototype listed was only one of 2 listed, and that they also had a full touchscreen phone. Since then all you've done is speculate and go off on tangets that aren't even related to what I've been discussing.
__________________
Worth the weight
Dr McKay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #286
LagunaSol
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
people trying to assert that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone
What "people?" Has anyone (or multiple anyones) actually said that on this forum? I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
or that the iPhone revolutionized the way a smartphone was.
It absolutely did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
You know I was referring to those comments, pretty much all you've done is change the subject or run off on a tangent.
Your use of straw man arguments ("unidentified people here say/believe") don't help.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:32 PM   #287
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
It absolutely did.

How did it? The only good thing about the iPhone was the touch screen, I had one. It had no apps, no appstore, no MMS, no video recording, an appalling camera. The web browser was marginally better.

Your use of straw man arguments ("unidentified people here say/believe") don't help.
And what point are you trying to make, all you've tried to do is speculate on false information, nitpick at personal preferences and then go off about unrelated things. All because I pointed out that Android had many prototypes and the blackberry clone people love posting was only one, you falsely accused the device of having a load of guff with no evidence, Phones were heading the direction of the iPhone anyway. I said iPhone merely sped up the transition to touchscreen phones so you put words in my mouth claiming I believe Apple deserve no credit.

Are you actually looking for a discussion? Or are you looking to start an argument, because half of what you're saying I'd even semi related to the points I've made.
__________________
Worth the weight

Last edited by Dr McKay; Mar 5, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Dr McKay is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iBeacons Ready to Go at Major League Baseball Parks in Los Angeles and San Diego MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 68 Feb 15, 2014 08:41 AM
Major League Baseball Rolling Out Thousands of iBeacons for Opening Day MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 40 Feb 14, 2014 10:28 PM
Major League Baseball Offering Gift Subscriptions for MLB At Bat 2014 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 41 Dec 5, 2013 12:49 AM
Samsung launches 'Samsung Wallet' (Passbook) rsnapeuk Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Feb 27, 2013 01:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC