Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to name 3. I used to think there was no difference between apps for iOS and Android as well, but there is. Not only is the iOS Facebook app much faster, it has swipe gestures the Android version doesnt. Even the way it brings up a photo when you want to comment on it is different. You really need them side by side to compare.

I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....

uzuzydad.jpg

I should care about my notifications more....lol

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.

Huh?

No. Web based apps exist to make a web page fit on a phone.

How have you not noticed any water down features!?! Delete/edit a comment in iOS on the FB app...that's so basic! How do you do ANYTHING in tapatalk!? Its missing everything! I hate twitter app, I use a different app to access twitter on my 4S.

List every web based app that looks and works better then their native web page?

Did you see the pic I posted? Let's compare again...

This....

yqu2aqu8.jpg

Vs this...

2e3ageru.jpg

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....

I should care about my notifications more....lol

Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.

No one cares about your iPhone. We are talking about tablets. Obviously a mobile version looks better on a phone, thank you, I said that a couple post up.

/back to topic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.