Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
lightning33
macrumors member

How do you play anything on Macbooks?

I just looked at the minimum system requirements for about 3 x games (Rome Total War, Civ 4/5, and Splinter Cell Conviction). All of them said that integrated graphics processors are NOT supported. So how does anyone with a MBA or rMBP 13" play anything?
lightning33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
MichalM.Mac
macrumors member

H4000 should handle RTW and CIV 4 just fine.

Civ 5.. if you turn down graphic settings it should be playable. SC:Conviction is poor cider port. I imagine it would be unplayable on Intel GPU.
MichalM.Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors 6502

You would be surprised at how many games you can play well with an HD4000. Borderlands 2 is a recent release that actually plays quite well if you keep the settings at default.

To eliminate the guesswork, head over to GameAgent.com. The MacMatch feature will tell you what games will run on your machine, and you can even set up deal alerts and GameAgent will find the best deals for you on the net.
Aspyr-Blair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
lightning33
macrumors member

Looking at the min system reqs, they specifically say no support for integrated graphics. How would anyone know what actually works (other than the site someone mentioned)?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
doh123
macrumors 65816

"Not supported" != "Doesn't work"

There are many reasons a company will list things as not supported... which basically means, you are on your own, it may or may not work.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:23 PM   #6
lightning33
macrumors member

That's kind of my point. The games I listed say that integrated graphics are NOT supported. The above posters say they work fine. How am I to know what games are good to go or not?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
That's kind of my point. The games I listed say that integrated graphics are NOT supported. The above posters say they work fine. How am I to know what games are good to go or not?
It really just depends on the game. For example, both Civ IV and V "support" the HD3000/4000. "Supported" meaning we stand behind the playability of the experience, and will go to great lengths through our support channel to take care of you should you have an issue.

To Doh123's point, there are many unsupported cards or chipsets that will play a given game, its just that we as gamers dont feel comfortable vouching for that experience, and therefor we leave it off the supported list.
Aspyr-Blair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I just looked at the minimum system requirements for about 3 x games (Rome Total War, Civ 4/5, and Splinter Cell Conviction). All of them said that integrated graphics processors are NOT supported. So how does anyone with a MBA or rMBP 13" play anything?
My wife plays tons of casual games on her 2011 MacBook, many of them via Boot Camp.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:58 AM   #9
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Quote:
Looking at the min system reqs, they specifically say no support for integrated graphics. How would anyone know what actually works (other than the site someone mentioned)?
For Rome that's incorrect, if you are sure you saw this could you provide a screenshot?

In fact almost EVERY Feral game including more complex ones like Empire Total War supports the HD3000 and HD4000 (and now the HD5000).

We have all the specs on our website here is the one for Rome (note that it does have any cards that are not supported).

http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/m.../requirements/

Quote:
As for the comments on why unsupported cards can sometimes play the games Aspyr-Blair said it best.

Quote:
There are many unsupported cards or chipsets that will play a given game, its just that we as gamers dont feel comfortable vouching for that experience, and therefor we leave it off the supported list.
If we can't guarantee great experience for the entire game (not just the opening level) then we don't say it's supported. That way you know if you meet the min spec then you don't need to worry if it will be playable or not.

Edwin

Edwin

Last edited by edddeduck; Jun 13, 2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Added URL for Rome spec
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:03 AM   #10
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

You can play old games. Or not that intenseive games. I recently played Bioshock (2006), Limbo and Spore with great graphics performance.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:08 AM   #11
painejake
macrumors newbie

My MBA rips through a lot of things I really didn't think it would.

Hell even my 2009 white MacBook plays black and white 2 with decent FPS
painejake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:35 AM   #12
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
I recently played Bioshock (2006).... with great graphics performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by painejake View Post
My MBA rips through a lot of things I really didn't think it would.

Hell even my 2009 white MacBook plays black and white 2 with decent FPS
We do spend quite a while optimising games for low end machines like the MBA glad to see you all enjoy the results!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:28 PM   #13
rampancy
macrumors member

How do I play anything on a MacBook?...quite well, actually. Awesomenauts plays very well on my 2006 MacBook with a GMA 950. Older games like System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Ghost Recon, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and FreeSpace 2 play perfectly on my Mac (all with some tweaking of course), either through Wineskin/CrossOver or F/OSS ports (in the case of Freespace 2).

In fact, between the advancement of WINE, cheap sales at places like GamersGate/GOG, and bundles like Indie Royale and Humble Indie Bundle, I actually have too many games to play...

What more people need to realize is that games that are AAA-big-budget-OMGWTF-graphics != exclusively good gaming experiences. I think some of what we saw at the XBox One E3 event is good enough proof of this.
rampancy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:41 PM   #14
arnabdas
macrumors newbie

If you are even remotely aware of gaming, you'll realise that MacBooks are NOT meant for that purpose. With Playstation and Xbox releasing next gen consoles, and nvidia releasing next gen graphics cards, it would be foolhardy to even attempt to play recent games on MacBooks. Save your keyboard, buy a console.
arnabdas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
How do I play anything on a MacBook?...quite well, actually. Awesomenauts plays very well on my 2006 MacBook with a GMA 950. Older games like System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Ghost Recon, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and FreeSpace 2 play perfectly on my Mac (all with some tweaking of course), either through Wineskin/CrossOver or F/OSS ports (in the case of Freespace 2).

In fact, between the advancement of WINE, cheap sales at places like GamersGate/GOG, and bundles like Indie Royale and Humble Indie Bundle, I actually have too many games to play...

What more people need to realize is that games that are AAA-big-budget-OMGWTF-graphics != exclusively good gaming experiences. I think some of what we saw at the XBox One E3 event is good enough proof of this.
Amen and very well said. Many people seem to think that if you don't have some mythical Windows box that is actually much better than most Windows gamers have (see Steam hardware survey) then your system is no good for gaming, etc. That as you just pointed out is baloney.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
tgi
macrumors 6502a

When playing games on OS X, is it a must to use Windows / Boot Camp? I understand it provides better performance, but can you get by without it? Does any games run games natively on OS X without installing Windows?
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:04 PM   #17
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
I play Civ 4 and Civ 5 on my rMBP 13" with no problems at all. I don't know what you're reading but it's clearly wrong.
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:18 AM   #18
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Does any games run games natively on OS X without installing Windows?
Yep!

Here is a list of native Mac games we developed and you can buy right now.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games