Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
srkmish
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
iPad Mini has killed my love for laptops

When i got my first laptop in 2006 - Lenovo X40, i was on cloud nine. A portable PC which i could carry anywhere and more than 3 hours battery life. Seemed like a miracle then. It gave me 5 strong years of service. However, once i got a tablet, laptops seem cumbersome to me now. Here's why.

1. Putting a laptop on ur tummy while laying down is not for long periods. First of all, ur stomach stars to heat up with the heat of the system and the additional weight feels uncomfortable after a time. Tablets on the other hand are meant for this purpose. Laying down with this light weight device seems ideal.

2. The Touchpad is good but no replacement for a mouse. There is always a distance between you and the laptop with the touchpad. There is a millisecond gap between using it and accessing the activity u like. On the other hand, the swiping/pressing action on tablet seems more intuitive and natural.

3. Continuing the above point, the swiping action feels much more comfortable for casual gaming (vs flash games in laptop). Also reading pdfs is much more enjoyable than reading on a lappy screen. Yeah i know laptops can run heavy games, but i really prefer a desktop for FPS'. Lappy screen feels too small for that.

The desktop+Tablet combo works for me now and a lappy seems totally unnecessary for me. Anyone else who feels this way and if not why?
__________________
Ipad Mini 16 GB Wifi, Ainol Venus Tab, Lenovo a369i, Sansa Clip +,
My Music - www.youtube.com/musiclover21187
My Photography - www.500px.com/srikantmishra
srkmish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
sonicrobby
macrumors 68000
 
sonicrobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans
I agree and disagree on points.

I agree the mini is a great device for pdfs and carrying it around. Its made college life a whole lot easier! But it hasnt replaced a laptop for me though, but mainly because I prefer a laptop over a desktop, so the laptop is my main computer. If I had to give one of them up tomorrow, I'd give up my mini. Ever since I got the rMBP, I've fallen in love with it!

Compared to my desktop, the laptop is more portable; compared to the mini, the laptop is more powerful. So I settled for the best of both worlds =P

As for fluidity and natural feel, try out OSX at the Apple store, that's probably one of the reasons Ive fallen in love with a laptop again. The iPad mini killed my love for laptops, but afterwards the Macbook pro killed my love for the mini; though i still like my mini :P
__________________
iPhone 6+ (128GB); 15" 2012 rMBP; 2012 Mac Mini; iPad 1 (32GB); iPad Air 2 (128GB); iPhone 5 (16GB); iPhone 5s (16GB); Apple TV 3; Time Capsule 3;
sonicrobby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
2. The Touchpad is good but no replacement for a mouse. There is always a distance between you and the laptop with the touchpad. There is a millisecond gap between using it and accessing the activity u like. On the other hand, the swiping/pressing action on tablet seems more intuitive and natural.
While it is not a replacement for gaming and a couple other things that require specific movement, the main reason your touchpad didn't satisfy is because it wasn't a good one. A touchpad on an Apple laptop is far more similar to the feel and usability of an iPad than other brands.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:40 PM   #4
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
1. Putting a laptop on ur tummy while laying down is not for long periods. First of all, ur stomach stars to heat up with the heat of the system and the additional weight feels uncomfortable after a time. Tablets on the other hand are meant for this purpose. Laying down with this light weight device seems ideal.

2. The Touchpad is good but no replacement for a mouse. There is always a distance between you and the laptop with the touchpad. There is a millisecond gap between using it and accessing the activity u like. On the other hand, the swiping/pressing action on tablet seems more intuitive and natural.

3. Continuing the above point, the swiping action feels much more comfortable for casual gaming (vs flash games in laptop). Also reading pdfs is much more enjoyable than reading on a lappy screen. Yeah i know laptops can run heavy games, but i really prefer a desktop for FPS'. Lappy screen feels too small for that.

The desktop+Tablet combo works for me now and a lappy seems totally unnecessary for me. Anyone else who feels this way and if not why?
First, I'm totally glad it works for you and you're enjoying it; that's the most important thing. I'm not trying to change your mind.

However, I disagree with two of your points:

1. I find tablet requires awkward accesories to prop up in bed, whether on my stomach or next to me on a night stand. My Macbook Air seems perfect for this. It also doesn't get very hot, nor is it cumbersome. But it does standup just fine without needing any accesories or propping up.

2. I prefer the trackpad to a mouse for most uses. The only exception is gaming. Otherwise, for everything else, I love the trackpad. The gestures are great, and I feel like it's easier on my wrist than a mouse.

Your third point is correct:
Simply reading a PDF or playing a simple game is better on a tablet. When it comes to PDF, I find editing or anotating PDFs to be a major pain in the butt on tablets.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini 2.3ghz i7 Quad Core 4GB RAM 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB Spinner | iPhone 6 (AT&T) 64GB
oneMadRssn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Hello...
macrumors 6502a
 
Hello...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Me too!
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #6
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
I had never used an Apple touchpad until 2 1/2 weeks ago, when we bought a rMBP. It made my non-Apple PC feel like a cheap piece of junk! The iPads are very nice for the purposes mentioned, and I even use my iPod 5G for really compact occasions! All of the Apple products can be run through Apple TV, so I can browse websites on my 42" TV using my iPod like a remote control.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:55 PM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
The desktop+Tablet combo works for me now and a lappy seems totally unnecessary for me. Anyone else who feels this way and if not why?
Plenty of others do. One solution never fits everyone's needs/wants/preferences/priorities. Never assume that yours are universal no matter what the topic. Why does it matter if others do or do not feel the way you do? Use what works for you. Others will use what works for them. Your points aren't relevant to me. They will be relevant to some but there are certainly others for whom they will not be relevant as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Putting a laptop on ur tummy while laying down is not for long periods.
I don't put my laptops there. Why would the way you use your laptop be relevant to me if it's completely different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
The Touchpad is good but no replacement for a mouse.
I never cared for mice in the first place. I always used trackballs. That is, until I used the trackpad on my MBP. It's my preferred pointing device now. Have you tried one?

Again, use what works for you. Just don't assume that everyone else is the same.

Last edited by takeshi74; Jul 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Linchuankawa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Man, please listen.. If you haven't tried a MacBook, I really suggest you give its multitouch trackpad a go. I think most people here will agree with me on this, the multitouch trackpad is best thing about the MacBook, I cannot imagine using a laptop without it in most cases except playing games. But really, for general usage like web browsing etc. the trackpad is IMO the best controlling device. I can use the MacBook without the mouse, but not without the trackpad.

But back to the topic. Yes I love the iPad, and same as u it's taking away my love for laptop. In fact I'm typing this on my iPad now.. It's the device of the future.
Linchuankawa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Szarky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchuankawa View Post
Man, please listen.. If you haven't tried a MacBook, I really suggest you give its multitouch trackpad a go. I think most people here will agree with me on this, the multitouch trackpad is best thing about the MacBook, I cannot imagine using a laptop without it in most cases except playing games.
Agree 100%. My situation however is I'm using a Magic Trackpad with my Mac. No going back to mouse for one reason: BetterTouchTool. Please everyone reading this, Goolge it. Will make any Trackpad insanely intuitive.
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Not me. I'm a dev and I love my laptop.

My laptop is better for watching videos in bed.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by darngooddesign; Jul 20, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a
 
Eckscaliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Laptops have been lame since 2009.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
SlCKB0Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
You would have a different opinion of laptops if you'd owned a MacBook Air... In particular the haswell ones just released are very very good.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:27 AM   #13
srkmish
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Multitouch trackpad is intriguing. I had used my friend's Macbook , but dint find it very impressive.

As for Windows, i can never go back to Laptops. I have too much fun assembling PCs . Its great to know exactly what kind of setup you are building. Also, games are much better on a big monitor than a tiny lappy screen.
__________________
Ipad Mini 16 GB Wifi, Ainol Venus Tab, Lenovo a369i, Sansa Clip +,
My Music - www.youtube.com/musiclover21187
My Photography - www.500px.com/srikantmishra
srkmish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Rhyalus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
iPads are hurting the laptop and PC market because all of the people who really don't need the power of those products now have a device that could do what they needed.

It is called market segmentation.

My ipad and my laptops have very separate uses in my home and office.

The ipad is of course much easier to use in bed for content consumption.

R
Rhyalus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:52 AM   #15
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Agree 100%. My situation however is I'm using a Magic Trackpad with my Mac.
I love using the trackpad on a MBP/MBA, but find the magic trackpad unusable on a desktop. Unlike a laptop or mouse, there's nothing at the level of the trackpad or mouse to rest your palm on. Hovering over it makes my wrist ache pretty quickly.
ohbrilliance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:06 AM   #16
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrilliance View Post
I love using the trackpad on a MBP/MBA, but find the magic trackpad unusable on a desktop. Unlike a laptop or mouse, there's nothing at the level of the trackpad or mouse to rest your palm on. Hovering over it makes my wrist ache pretty quickly.
but where do u rest your hand when using your laptop's trackpad then?

I use a MBA and while at home it's attached to a larger display, and I just love it to lean back in my chair and surf the web using a magic trackpad on my lap. it's also way more comfortable than using a tablet IMO
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 09:14 AM   #17
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
but where do u rest your hand when using your laptop's trackpad then?

I use a MBA and while at home it's attached to a larger display, and I just love it to lean back in my chair and surf the web using a magic trackpad on my lap. it's also way more comfortable than using a tablet IMO
When typing, on the palmrest to each side of the trackpad. When using the touchpad, I rest my palms below and to the sides of the trackpad. I also use the trackpad like that on the couch, but for me, the magic trackpad doesn't work well in conjunction with a separate keyboard on a desk.
ohbrilliance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:36 PM   #18
Badrottie
macrumors 68030
 
Badrottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
When I got an iPad, I lost my love for my powerful and super fast desktop pc. Then I bought my first MBP I love it very much. When I bought an iPad 2 I use both until recently I bought rMBP I was close to give up my iPad 2 but I managed to stick to both for daily use.
__________________
That is OK to make fun of my poor english grammars just because you are bullying deaf people.
Badrottie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:36 AM   #19
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
its true there is distance between you and laptop screen due to keyboard but i wouldnt sacrifice my laptop for an ipad mini.

Ipad mini is only good for gaming or maybe taking picture imo. The screen is too small for web surfing and not even crisp enough to read for long period. I would say Ipad 4 would make people forget their laptop but not mini.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:10 PM   #20
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
iPads are hurting the laptop and PC market because all of the people who really don't need the power of those products now have a device that could do what they needed.

R
Yep. Apple wasn't trying to make a tablet to replace the computer in total, just for those that don't need a computer. Back in the day they would have been the target audience for the WebTV
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:30 AM   #21
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
The tablet revolution is crazy. It was funny when I first saw the iPad as a big iPod, but until you use one, you really don't know the ease of it. I traded my iPad 2 to my sister half a year ago, but couldn't stand not being able to just pick up a machine and surf the web on the couch, so I had to get an iPad mini.

However, given the circumstances, like many others, I'd choose the laptop over the tablet. As stated before, the power difference is uncanny. Although the laptops are not as easy to use as tablets are for surfing, email, and working with pictures, it can do a lot more things in general. Apple has done an especially good job at making their laptops easier to use. They've decreased the sleep to wake time drastically, their larger, glass track pad has made touch gestures on the computer feel natural, and their new battery life focus approach for their laptops have made for compelling reasons to choose their laptops over tablets.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:50 AM   #22
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Honestly, at this point tablets are just good content consumption devices. The hardware/software isn't at the point where they can seriously be used for much else. Now I know there will be people out there who claim they use their iPads for work purposes and creating content. But the fact is there DOES exist a rather large gulf between the capabilities of a laptop and a tablet. I have no doubt that this gulf will continue to decrease over the years, to the point where maybe we could use something in a tablet form factor as our primary computing device. But as of now, that's not happening. THat's why I'm typing this on my Mac and my iPad is lying on a table somewhere in the house.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #23
srkmish
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Honestly, at this point tablets are just good content consumption devices. The hardware/software isn't at the point where they can seriously be used for much else. Now I know there will be people out there who claim they use their iPads for work purposes and creating content. But the fact is there DOES exist a rather large gulf between the capabilities of a laptop and a tablet. I have no doubt that this gulf will continue to decrease over the years, to the point where maybe we could use something in a tablet form factor as our primary computing device. But as of now, that's not happening. THat's why I'm typing this on my Mac and my iPad is lying on a table somewhere in the house.
That gulf has already been sealed by Windows hybrids. However, windows ecosystem needs to mature before it can be seriously considered as a tablet. However, in laptop mode, windows 8 is as good as it gets.
__________________
Ipad Mini 16 GB Wifi, Ainol Venus Tab, Lenovo a369i, Sansa Clip +,
My Music - www.youtube.com/musiclover21187
My Photography - www.500px.com/srikantmishra
srkmish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:38 PM   #24
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
its true there is distance between you and laptop screen due to keyboard but i wouldnt sacrifice my laptop for an ipad mini.

Ipad mini is only good for gaming or maybe taking picture imo. The screen is too small for web surfing and not even crisp enough to read for long period. I would say Ipad 4 would make people forget their laptop but not mini.
Here I am enjoying using my Mini for things it is, iyo, horrible for. My happiness is obviously misplaced.

I also wouldn't sacrifice my laptop for my Mini, I just use them both.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:48 AM   #25
cats4jan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Laptop sits in a drawer - iPad is my constant companion. However, if I didn't have a desktop, I would want a laptop in order to work with word processing or photoshop. For casual surfing, simple game playing, and short email responses, one can't beat an iPad.

I don't think I could downsize to a mini, though. To me, a mini is an oversized phone and if one has a phone, why would one get an iPad mini? My favorite part of my full-size iPad, is the ability to see things in a larger size than a phone.
cats4jan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Any love for the iPad Mini? kirky29 iPad 64 Feb 26, 2013 09:55 PM
iPad Mini: I love my iPad Mini FatGuy007 iPad 16 Nov 14, 2012 02:38 PM
iPad Mini: Whilst I love my mini, I think saying mini has a more retina screen than ipad 2 FrozenDarkness iPad 0 Nov 10, 2012 07:40 PM
iPad Mini: LOVE my ipad Mini! Hello... iPad 53 Nov 3, 2012 09:04 AM
Am I the only one who is in love with the iPad Mini? PEN10k iPad 49 Oct 23, 2012 06:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC