Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCforever?

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,
Just received my daughters Xmas present (ipad mini) via courier. I unboxed the parcel to find the ipad is shrink wrapped. When I ordered it I had it engraved.... do they shrink wrap them after engraving? I dont really want to open it to check... just hope someone's traveled this road before.

cheers

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hi Guys,
Just received my daughters Xmas present (ipad mini) via courier. I unboxed the parcel to find the ipad is shrink wrapped. When I ordered it I had it engraved.... do they shrink wrap them after engraving? I dont really want to open it to check... just hope someone's traveled this road before.

cheers

You can't engrave an iPad with shrink wrap on... so yes, they engrave it and then wrap it.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
For others that may be following this thread, there is a downside to engraving. I had my iPad 2 engraved when I purchased it from Apple. The engraving was done professionally and looked quite nice - and no charge! However, when it comes time to sell it, you will get a substantial reduction in selling price. Check the usual places such as SellYourMac, Mac2sell, etc. and you will see the engraving penalty. In the future I will not have my Apple products engraved.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Like the OP, I also ordered an engraved mini as a Christmas gift. And yes, the box containing the mini is shrink wrapped and I will not open it.

I've purchased enough from Apple to trust it's quality and customer service and am not at all concerned about the engraving. It will be there, will be correct, and the recipient will be delighted with the personalization.

I also think most people who receive expensive engraved gifts express happiness, not concerns about resale value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.