Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
but your saying to check if it can be that my psu for the mac pro is not getting enough to run this gpu?

I don't know. There was a massive discussion about how much power the Mac Pro can deliver to the GPU in this thread. Something is wrong with your setup as-is, I just don't know what it might be.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Here's my recommendation. Stick the gts 450 back in the mac pro, sell it and build yourself a desktop. since you already have a good gpu you can spend the money you get from the mac pro on everything else. I would recommend the following:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
Motherboard: Gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3
Ram: 8Gb ddr3 1333mhz
Cpu: Intel i5 2500k (overclock it to 4ghz to alleviate any possible bottlenecks and it'll improve fps in games like skyrim)
Psu: 650Watt Modular psu so you can do cable management
Fans: 1 280mm top mounted fan (fits the haf 922), 1 120mm sidemounted fan.
HDD: id recommend getting a 64gb SSD for the operating system, and a 1tb for games and music.

You can pull out a dvd drive from any computer sitting around.

Also, yes it could be the psu. Just because it's rated for 900 watts or whatever it is doesn't mean it's necessarily "pushing out" that many. the psu could be shot.

thanks alot for making a build for me this quick aha, and overall how much would all that be?

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
Rough estimate? i'd say anywhere from 550-650, probably 600 if you chose to go for ivy bridge instead of sandy bridge, but the 2500k is a great cpu especially when pushed to 4ghz.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Rough estimate? i'd say anywhere from 550-650, probably 600 if you chose to go for ivy bridge instead of sandy bridge, but the 2500k is a great cpu especially when pushed to 4ghz.
hmm thats not bad. But if anything , ima just try a couple more things on this mac pro to fix this gpu problem. and ima have to sell this mac pro for probably 600 or 800.

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
If you sold it for 8, id recommend selling your current 570 or returning it to the store, and getting something like a gtx 660 ti and then a ivy bridge build.

RazonTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
If you sold it for 8, id recommend selling your current 570 or returning it to the store, and getting something like a gtx 660 ti and then a ivy bridge build.
yeah, ima just sell this mac pro .
and alright thanks alot for all this help ! :)

Jduncan0392

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2011
np man. I like macs but I gotta admit, they're not exactly the most reliable or upgradeable machines. I will always recommend windows over os x for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.