Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I have had a 'friend' send me screen shots of my computers current activity as well as mock things I have said in conversations on facebook. (I believe he/they can even hear the audio I am currently listening to or playing. 'Believe' being the wrong word seeing that i know they can.)

Multiple people are in on this and all are viewing my computer on some sort of site...

I have known for quite sometime I am being spied on but haven't cared much until recently because it is starting to jeopardize my work.

Please help. Again, this is a factual.

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
heres screens of my activity monitor. Im a big time newb when it comes to tech things. Can you spot anything out of the ordinary?

mail

mail

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Change your password, check your Login Items and also check Activity Monitor (SHOW ALL PROCESSES) for any unknown processes (you can print them and attach them to your next post).

It's bad enough I have to see you post this a dozen or so times a day but three times in one thread????

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
sorry about that. I've also already looked through my sharing options on my Mac and that doesnt seem to be the root of the problem. Thanks again.

Screenshot2011-05-23at45647PM.png

Screenshot2011-05-23at45631PM.png

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I dunno. Thats none of my concern. I just want to get the **** off finally. Ideas? Do you see anything out of the ordinary in the Activity Monitor screen shots?

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
There was this qmasterd I didn't know about, but then google told me it has something to do with the Compressor app. Do you use it?

Your best bet would be to back up your files on an external hard drive (and only your files, not the system files), erase and install, and then copy everything back.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you have a wireless router, is it open or do you have security on it. Add/change the WPA password

Make sure you have sharing/remote login preferences turned off and the firewall turned on.

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Yes, the WPA password has been changed. I have all sharing options turned off. Firewall on and all that good stuff. The trouble is locating the spyware. Someone has that has used this **** has to know how to locate it. Anything out of the ordinary in the Activity Monitor Screens?

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Im not exactly sure what that is but i doubt it. If thats the Mac equivalent of system restore on a PC then no.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Im not exactly sure what that is but i doubt it. If thats the Mac equivalent of system restore on a PC then no.

Its a apple program that lets you control your mac from somewhere else. Its nothing like system restore.

There is nothing that looks suspicious in your activity monitor. I have to agree i think the best thing to do is reinstall OSX. Someone has obviously been on your mac and installed some sort of remote monitoring software on it. There are unfortunatly many possibilities so simply because we might have used it before, its hard to say what one you are dealing with.

cheetahcheetah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2011
is there anyway to restore the system without deleting certain things from it? Say my version of LogicPro... I no longer have the installation disc for the program.

Also. Is there anyway to view a list of ALL CONTENT added to the machine in chronological order? This may help me find the bug seeing that i know around what time it was placed.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
is there anyway to restore the system without deleting certain things from it? Say my version of LogicPro... I no longer have the installation disc for the program.

Also. Is there anyway to view a list of ALL CONTENT added to the machine in chronological order? This may help me find the bug seeing that i know around what time it was placed.

/Applications/Utilities/System Info. You can see all applications on your system in there, and sort them by modification date.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Mackeeper helper....thats suspicious. It's not the cause but it should not be there.

back up your things manually while offline. Do not use time machine! reinstall the OS and all security updates. Reinstall your apps manually, then copy back your things.

As for logic pro, assuming this is legally purchased, contact support. They should be able to help you prove you bought it and send you new media for a lower cost than a new license. If you did pirate it, this is likely your fault. Pirated software comes with all sorts of bad stuff bundled in it.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Mackeeper helper....thats suspicious. It's not the cause but it should not be there.

back up your things manually while offline. Do not use time machine! reinstall the OS and all security updates. Reinstall your apps manually, then copy back your things.

As for logic pro, assuming this is legally purchased, contact support. They should be able to help you prove you bought it and send you new media for a lower cost than a new license. If you did pirate it, this is likely your fault. Pirated software comes with all sorts of bad stuff bundled in it.
You know the original thread was from 2011, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.