Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Recently, I installed Mountain Lion (10.8.4) on my MacBook primarily for iMessage integration, and while most of it has worked great, there's issues I have with regards to syncing and transcripts.

If I start a conversation from my Mac, everything is synced over to my iOS devices (iPhone/iPad). No problems at all. My transcripts are also flawless. On the other hand, if I start a conversation on my iOS devices, when I get home to continue it on my MacBook, many times not everything syncs over, at least if the laptop is off. For instance, today I wasn't home and was having a conversation with someone from my iPad. I get home to continue it on my MacBook, and while the first hour of our conversation is there, the last 45 minutes of it aren't. It's just not there. The only solution is if my laptop is left running while chatting on my iOS devices, which I shouldn't have to do.

The other problem is transcripts. If I'm having a conversation on my iOS device, and turn on my MacBook to continue the conversation, I'll open Messages and sometimes (when it does sync over) for about 5 seconds, the only thing that will appear is the most thing that was said, before the entire conversation is sync over and appears. The problem with this is that Messages thinks the most recent thing that was said is when the conversation was started. Therefore, not only does it place that at the beginning of the transcript, the transcript file itself shows the files being created at that time, which is incorrect.

I know Messages has had some issues since release, but has anyone had these issues, specifically? These have definitely been some frustrating issues.

Any insight and help is appreciated. Thanks!

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Recently, I installed Mountain Lion (10.8.4) on my MacBook primarily for iMessage integration, and while most of it has worked great, there's issues I have with regards to syncing and transcripts.

If I start a conversation from my Mac, everything is synced over to my iOS devices (iPhone/iPad). No problems at all. My transcripts are also flawless. On the other hand, if I start a conversation on my iOS devices, when I get home to continue it on my MacBook, many times not everything syncs over, at least if the laptop is off. For instance, today I wasn't home and was having a conversation with someone from my iPad. I get home to continue it on my MacBook, and while the first hour of our conversation is there, the last 45 minutes of it aren't. It's just not there. The only solution is if my laptop is left running while chatting on my iOS devices, which I shouldn't have to do.

The other problem is transcripts. If I'm having a conversation on my iOS device, and turn on my MacBook to continue the conversation, I'll open Messages and sometimes (when it does sync over) for about 5 seconds, the only thing that will appear is the most thing that was said, before the entire conversation is sync over and appears. The problem with this is that Messages thinks the most recent thing that was said is when the conversation was started. Therefore, not only does it place that at the beginning of the transcript, the transcript file itself shows the files being created at that time, which is incorrect.

I know Messages has had some issues since release, but has anyone had these issues, specifically? These have definitely been some frustrating issues.

Any insight and help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yups, keeps happening with me, though it's significantly better since the last OSX update, but still randomly happens, but usually if I am using iMessage on iPhone, then I turn on my Air, open the messages app and leave it undisturbed for like 5 minutes, it's back in sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.