Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I don't agree with this at all. Yes, having video stutter because it's changing bitrate is annoying (and is something that should be and can be fixed via software as the technology matures), I'd find it useful both (i) to dynamically adjust the quality of the image to allow streaming with worse internet connections and (ii) to be able to adjust quality to manage data usage. Unfortunately, I don't know of any streaming services that allow you to select or adjust the quality. :confused:

When I rent a movie, I want to view it in full quality. I'll wait for the full download if I have to. I want the results to be as close to Blu ray as possible and I don't want the quality changing before my eyes.

If I'm just watching some random crap on Netflix, it's not as big a deal. But when I'm really sitting down to have a real movie watching experience, I want top quality.

If your surround system started randomly throwing out static and popping noises, you wouldn't be satisfied with that. You'd look for a solution. Why are we so content with inconsistent video quality?

----------

You can manually force HD on Netflix on your computer and it will buffer when needed. Just go to any movie and Control + Shift + Option/Alt + S and a little menu will pop up.

Useful tip, but apparently you can't do the same on the Apple TV.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
iTunes video and audio quality blows the others out of the water. I stopped buying Blu-rays.

Because the underlying technology and codecs are still based on Quicktime. That's why.

I do lament that Apple has neglected Quicktime Pro (for editing and content creation) for a long time. Would be nice if they are working on the next generation of Quicktime. I dream that one day, YouTube (or a similar rival) will present all their videos using the (licensed) QT format. QT videos are just 10 billion times better looking, compared to those ugly grainy stuttery amateur-looking YouTube vids.

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Surprised to see Hulu at the bottom, other than that, pretty well neck-and-neck.

Given that Hulu is the only one who forces ads on paying subscribers, and has a different set of programming depending on what device you're using, this does not surprise me in the least. What does surprise me is that they got as high of a score as they did.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
wait.. so i could uninstall silverlight right now and netflix will still work?

I saw an article on April 8, 2013 saying that Netflix announced that it would drop Silverlight, so I assumed it was gone. However, this is what I found out just now. You need Internet Explorer 11:

"With the release of Windows 8.1 Preview, Netflix now supports streaming over HTML5 instead of Microsoft’s proprietary Silverlight plug-in. The caveat is that only Internet Explorer 11, which is bundled with Windows 8.1, supports the necessary HTML5 extensions; if you’re a Firefox or Chrome user, you’ll continue to use the Silverlight plug-in."

Heck no, I'm not using IE.

Last edited:

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Can't say I've ever had one issue with renting/streaming movies from iTunes.

Had a couple with Netflix, sometimes the quality in the middle of the movie or episode would drop to the point where you can't see anything!

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
The 7 services scored between 75-80 on a 100 point scale. That tells me:
  • there wasn't much of a difference between any of the services
  • getting 75-80 out of 100 isn't that great for any of them, a lot of room for improvement

Trying to treat this as some kind of ranking is laughable.

To see such a small difference for all 7 given 5,500 responses leads me to think either their survey was garbage or the sample population they chose knew nothing about video services.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
I love iTunes

They only problem I have with it is my ridiculously bad internet speeds. Streaming is rarely satisfactory with any service. Big telecoms in canada are an innovator's worst enemy.

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Funny no Vudu

Look, Vudu HDX is always 1080p and 5.1. If I'm dropping $6 to rent a blockbuster movie with the wife or guests this is the only way I roll. I have iTunes, Amazon Prime, Netflix streaming, an Oppo 103 BR player (also the Vudu & Netflix streamer) and a Roku stick going into a JVC projector (RS-56), a 135" screen and a Yamaha Aventage driving 7.1 Klipsch in-wall speakers. Jaggies, pixelation, sub-par sound, 720p, non of this is acceptable for even a single second during the movie. And with Vudu it never does. :D

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I love iTunes and Netflix. I have Amazon Instant by way of Amazon Prime (shipping discounts) but haven't used it yet. The only thing I wish with iTunes is that we could stream videos to iOS devices.

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
Apple TV

I would be more likely to buy the Apple TV if it also supported Amazon Prime. I wish my Oppo BR supported Amazon natively but you have to get a Roku stick ($50) that plugs into the front HDMI/MHL port. Even though the Oppo is on the Gigabit Ethernet the Roku stick connects wirelessly on 2.4n. It also stays on even when the Oppo is powered off, not sure why, so I have to get up to unplug/plug it as needed. I don't watch that much on Prime but its a good option for free stuff for the kids.

As for physical BR discs? Nope. Not ever. Tried a few, wasted 10 minutes getting through commercials before I realized that there is a reason streaming is taking over. That plus the pain of the wife changing her mind on what she wants to watch. So physical media is dead. Cable On Demand sucks for searching (there is none with Charter) and is 1080i. So it's either Vudu HDX (1080p) or Charter HD DVR of HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/etc. I'll say the one advantage (yes, it really is) of Cable is that the movie is actually formatted to fit a 16:9 screen. Until someone starts making (native) ultrawide projectors and LCD panels I don't see the point in ONLY being able to watch streaming and BR material with bars. There should be a native 16:9 full screen mode ON THE DISC. BR failed in this regard, and they should have known it was a requirement after seeing how DVD worked. :mad: Streaming should offer a choice between the two (native movie vs 16:9 formatted-for-TV), it's always better to do this at the "source" than at the client, and clearly they have made this content already for Cable. And no, I don't consider "zooming" or any of that nonsense to be a choice, I want 1920x1080 of picture pixels coming from the source!

I also think iTunes should add a true 1080p (HDX) option in addition to HD so there is no doubt about the quality when renting.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I saw an article on April 8, 2013 saying that Netflix announced that it would drop Silverlight, so I assumed it was gone. However, this is what I found out just now. You need Internet Explorer 11:

"With the release of Windows 8.1 Preview, Netflix now supports streaming over HTML5 instead of Microsoft’s proprietary Silverlight plug-in. The caveat is that only Internet Explorer 11, which is bundled with Windows 8.1, supports the necessary HTML5 extensions; if you’re a Firefox or Chrome user, you’ll continue to use the Silverlight plug-in."

Heck no, I'm not using IE.

Cant be true, I'm told that IE has the worst html5 support of all browsers...

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Cant be true, I'm told that IE has the worst html5 support of all browsers...

Well that's what it says. What I'm guessing is that Netflix made some scummy deal with Microsoft and made it work only with IE's specific HTML5. Reminds me of Mega pleading for me to install Chrome.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
to me, netflix is better than itunes store, it's easy to use, it's faster etc., but, it's just my opinion.:)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well that's what it says. What I'm guessing is that Netflix made some scummy deal with Microsoft and made it work only with IE's specific HTML5. Reminds me of Mega pleading for me to install Chrome.

Forgot the sarcasm tag.

Just kind of picking on the idea of using those tests, like the html5 test, for thee sorts of compliance things.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
The best thing about iTunes is that it is always full quality. There's no adapting to network conditions - it will stop and buffer if it has to. On a slow connection you always have the option of walking away and waiting for the full content to download.

Watching your video bitrate change constantly sucks. It's a really annoying "feature" of the other services.

This is also why I hate Apple for streaming and don't htink they really deserve their score. The majority of people have to wait a LONG time before HD playback on a movie can even begin... most people don't have internet speeds fast enough to have it instantly play. On my Apple tv, if I don't want to wait an hour to watch a movie, I have to just go SD.... I can drive to a red box and back faster and save $3.

On IOS devices, they win. Netflix never stutters, stammers, and it plays instantly... I'll take a hit for that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.