Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOHinCA

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Good design, and getting better

Marvin is one of those rare applications that makes me smile, because it works cleanly and well, solves a real need, and keeps getting better.

That having been said, one of the ways I would hope it might get even better would be to make it easier to add metadata. Of course, it might be that it's already easy to do and I just haven't figured it out. For example, I tried doing a cut and paste to add a book's description to the field that appears when you do a swipe to the left on the book title in the Library view, and it didn't work for me.

One other matter: there are differences in how well all caps, and dropped caps, are treated in different versions of the same book.

Finally, is there any way that I can save my comments, etc. to the original file? I store books in Dropbox and download them when I want to read them. When I've finished, I would like to erase the file from my iPad so as to save storage space, but don't want to lose any notes I may have made.

Let me end as I began, by recommending this as a wonderful ereader. I've used many, and this is easily the best I've found for every format other than pdf files, which it does not handle.

kguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
JOHinCA: Thanks! I'm really happy you like it.

If you use Calibre, the next version will work with a plugin that will sync all your highlights and notes with the books in your Calibre library. It is very very cool.

Currently, you can also "export annotations" for a book. Marvin will create a special "*.mrv" file that you can keep separately from the book. You can then delete the book from Marvin's library and if you add the book back later on you can reimport those annotations without losing anything. To reimport notes, comments, etc... back into your book, send the mrv file by email to yourself and open the attachment in Marvin. In the future this will be even more streamlined.

Since I posted last here, Marvin got about 80 new features and improvements. You can check them out and what's coming up here: http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Marvin is an excellent ebook reader. The best I've ever had. I wish other app developers would follow its general style, so simple, bright and clear.

The only feature I'd like to see is the possibility to upload books into Dropbox as well as download them. This would allow me to transfer books between my iPad 4 and Mini without connecting them to the laptop.

kguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
caubeck, that's a really good idea. I added it to the to do list!

djpyle

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
I just wanted to take a second to say that this is a fantastic app! Thanks so much for all the work that's obviously gone into its development. I downloaded it today on my iPad and have been playing around with all the various settings, and I'm seriously amazed at how great it is. Separating books without a proper ToC into intelligent sections is a killer feature, and the ability to manipulate the margins is also very nice. No more wasted screen space!

I do have one feature request: it would be great to be able to choose what exactly the smart snap option snaps to. Personally, I'd love to have it snap from the beginning of one chapter to the beginning of the next (or previous) and skip the bookmarks and ends of chapters. It's not something that's keeping me from enjoying the app, of course, but some more fine-tuning options there would definitely be awesome.

I've used a lot of reading apps over the years—probably most of them, and definitely all the major ones—and this is by far the best one I've come across. Great work!

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
What a great app. I was using iBooks until I found Marvin. Having all my books in Calibre, I was happy with the integration, between it and Marvin.

My only request. Books in Library using a shelf view. I usually only keep 100 books or so in a reader, and delete as I finish them. Right now you can only scroll, and it takes a bit to get to to the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.