Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Right!

Thanks so much for rubbing it in, you guys!!:(

Don't feel too bad. I remember watching them on a small black and white TV because there wasn't color yet.

And I watched Dan Rather doing weather reports from Hurricane Carla when we lived in Texas.

We got a TV in 1953. First thing I remember watching was the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II that summer. I think they had to fly the tapes to the US before broadcasting them here. After that my younger brothers essentially took charge of our entertainment choices (no remotes back then) so it was stuff like Howdy Doody and The Lone Ranger. No wonder I ended up a bookworm instead of a TV addict. Still we did usually watch evening news programs. Murrow's See It Now made the cut, including the famous expose of McCarthy.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Brian Williams is probably the only television newsman left in the same vein as Cronkite or Huntley Brinkley.

I'm not so sure you would have seen Cronkite, Brinkley or Huntley yucking it up with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show or slow jamming the news on Jimmy Fallon.

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
I am a totally ridiculous News Junky, and Have OTA, an FTA Dish, and a Raspberry Pi hooked up to watch whatever I can find on XBMC. Lately I watch

1. Fox News
2. Al Jazeera - America (and English)
3. BBC
4. CCTV 9
5. Russia Today
6. France 24
7. CNN International
8. Press TV
9. CNC

I also have the FTA dish scanning ABC News One to catch the wild feeds. All news channels are slanted one way or another. I like to get all of it and try to filter out the facts from the spin. The more you hear, the better informed you are.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I am a totally ridiculous News Junky, and Have OTA, an FTA Dish, and a Raspberry Pi hooked up to watch whatever I can find on XBMC. Lately I watch

1. Fox News
2. Al Jazeera - America (and English)
3. BBC
4. CCTV 9
5. Russia Today
6. France 24
7. CNN International
8. Press TV
9. CNC

I also have the FTA dish scanning ABC News One to catch the wild feeds. All news channels are slanted one way or another. I like to get all of it and try to filter out the facts from the spin. The more you hear, the better informed you are.

what? no TMZ.com ??? :p

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
In no particular order:

Jeune Afrique
El País
Le Monde
SRC
Al-Jazeera English
BBC
Slate

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm not so sure you would have seen Cronkite, Brinkley or Huntley yucking it up with Jon Stewart on The Daily Show or slow jamming the news on Jimmy Fallon.

I dunno… I think it would be hilarious to see Cronkite, Brinkley, Huntley, or Jennings do news bytes that end up as "Rapper's Delight". That was just epic.

Either way, if he did TV (he has a better radio voice), the only one left from that era not in disgrace, is Karl Kassel. and Kassel has rapped "Rapper's Delight". ;)

Anywho, back on topic. In order:

The Age (Melbourne)
Sydney Morning Herald
NPR
Local news (stations until they get to national/international news)
Local newspaper (I do find out who owns the newspaper, though; the owners will put their own slant on things, so I tend to read the locals section, and make paper airplanes out of the Op-Ed sections)

I generally keep it to that, because I'd rather have what happens, not someone's slant on what happened. Everything else is just grandstanding.

BL.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Brian Williams is probably the only television newsman left in the same vein as Cronkite or Huntley Brinkley.

There's quite a bit of praise for Brian Williams in this thread, and he deserves it. However, I'm surprised there has been no mention yet of Gwen Ifill, who I feel is just as good as (if not better) than Williams.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
There's quite a bit of praise for Brian Williams in this thread, and he deserves it. However, I'm surprised there has been no mention yet of Gwen Ifill, who I feel is just as good as (if not better) than Williams.

Gwen is great. Very articulate, neutral, and to be honest, very proper. My wife saw her for the first time a couple of days ago, and didn't realize she was black. Disclaimer: my wife is legally blind.

I just don't know how laid back she really could be. I mean, Brian Williams also rapped Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice". I couldn't see Gwen pull that one off.

En Vogue/Salt'n'Pepa's "What A Man" possibly, but not "Gin and Juice". ;)

BL.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
The Boston Globe
NPR
WBUR (local public radio station)
BBC world news
Local TV news for weather, traffic, breaking news,and Red Sox highlights (assuming there are any!).

This is a good list. I read our local paper in the mornings, listen to NPR news while commuting, watch our local NBC affiliate news in the evenings and check Google news a couple of times a day for trending news stories. Used to watch the Weather Channel a lot, but it has gone downhill fast since being bought by NBC. Will have to give the BBC a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.