Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hi guys ... I have an iPhone 5 (jailbroken and at v6.1 firmware), and I want to set the hostname for it, so that whenever I connect to a Wifi network, I can access the phone using its hostname.

Right now by default, the hostname is not set to anything, so whenever I have to access my iPhone from another machine, I have to manually go into the iPhone's Wifi settings and see what the current IP is. This is very silly and lethargic as I have to do this many times daily :/

So is there any way I can set the hostname on my iPhone to something (e.g. AHMADKASIPHONE), so that I can just use that hostname to connect to my iPhone ? I read somewhere that I can configure the DHCP settings and set the hostname in 'Client ID' there, but this doesn't seem to work for me :/

Any other way ? Maybe a jailbreak tweak ?

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
This is just the name of your device, you can set it itunes or even possibly in settings.

ahmadka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
I have set the name of my phone in iTunes, but still it doesn't register with my router. The pictures explain themselves:

iTunes:

jZt0JhH.png

Router:

t0BHkEd.png

Ping Result:

i8i294Z.png

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Interesting, I just noticed all of my devices are not registering as well... 1 iPhone and 1 iPad are and 1 iPhone ins't... all running iOS 6.

ahmadka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Interesting, I just noticed all of my devices are not registering as well... 1 iPhone and 1 iPad are and 1 iPhone ins't... all running iOS 6.

Can you check the IP settings on all 3 devices and see if any of them have a Client ID set ? Or anything else which might answer this question ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.